DSA into RI

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

DSA into RI

Postby Determination » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 pm

I am very confused now. My boy has a confirmed seat via DSA Music in RI. On one hand, I am glad that he is able to enter into a good school with comprehesive MEP program, which I believe he will enjoy. On the other hand, I have heard alot of negative stories about those students entering RI through DSA sports and music not able to cope well in the school. As he is not a very smart boy (estimated T-score is around 230 - 240+), I am worry that he will not be able to cope with the school standard and "compete" with all the academic driven students.

As RI didnt' offer any O level program, my boy will be running into a serious problem if he is not able to cope in this 6years IP program..

What should I do.....???

Determination
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: DSA into RI

Postby UBKmom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm

I think its the your kid attitude and style of study that is the determinant factor and not so much of the T-score (although it does has some effect). I have a DS in IP program and has classmates with T-score of above 260 having problem in their studies.

In IP, students are expected to do a lot of research and self-study through notes and other supplementary books. Don't expect the teachers to give you everything, a lot of times, they only touch on the main points and you have to read the details yourself. My DS has a hard times getting used to it initially, kept complaining that the teachers just teach abit in class and want them to read the notes themselves. It took him more than six months to stabilise and getting use of the study method. Some classmates just cant get use to it and done badly. One transferred out to other school.

UBKmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Determination » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:55 pm

I want my child to enjoy in both academic n music in the school. Not sure if RI will be an appropriate school when students are only academic driven.

Are there any good preparation courses I should send my boy prior the beginning of his secondary school.

Determination
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Mawar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Determination wrote:I want my child to enjoy in both academic n music in the school. Not sure if RI will be an appropriate school when students are only academic driven.

Are there any good preparation courses I should send my boy prior the beginning of his secondary school.

I believe the school would have made its selection wisely based on its experience. I also agree that a lot depends on your boy's attitude and mindframe. If his heart is with this school, go for it!

Don't start off with the crutch mentality. Let him start off his secondary education on a confident footing. Else he would continue to rely on external help.

Congrats!!!

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby flower » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Determination, do meet up with the school's admission officer to discuss your concerns . They have a differentiated programme and class for boys who DSA through sports and with T score lower than 240. Is the school your DS' first choice? If yes, ask him to write down the reasons why he wants to go to the school. You do the same too ie why you choose to DSA into the sch. These reasons can help you think positively if you feel discouraged by his academic results. The teachers are very encouraging and they arrange for remedial lessons for weaker students. As the principal tells the parents, leave it to the school to teach the boys. Hence I feel there is no need for you to send your boy for any preparation courses if you choose RI.

flower
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Determination » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Thank you so much for all the great infor and advises! :) I feel less stressful now.

No regrets joining the kiasu parents community.

Thks!!

Determination
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby wonderm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Determination wrote:I want my child to enjoy in both academic n music in the school. Not sure if RI will be an appropriate school when students are only academic driven.

Don't worry about this part, RI students are not only academic driven. I personally know many of the current students who excel in academic and other areas including music. All the best to your DS!

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pm123 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:29 am

wonderm wrote:

Don't worry about this part, RI students are not only academic driven. I personally know many of the current students who excel in academic and other areas including music. All the best to your DS!

Yes, I agree. With yr determination, yr kid shd able to pull through. The CO is so hard earned... Pls do not waste it.Be more positive and yr DS will do well. :congrats:

pm123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection