Raffles' Girls Secondary VS SOTA

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

SOTA or RGS

Poll ended at Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:44 pm

SOTA
11%
RGS
89%

Total votes : 9

Raffles' Girls Secondary VS SOTA

Postby scribbler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:44 pm

So the story goes: I got accepted into both RGS and SOTA via DSA. (Visual Arts and Academic respectively.) However, I have no idea which one to pick! :?:

1) I have a keen interest in art but I am also interested in pursuing my academics.
2) I'm worried if RGS has a... not so friendly environment. :sweat:
3) Not sure if IB is a 'safe' curriculum to take on. :shrug:
4) RGS has a good track record as well as other CCAs i'm interested in like Debate,but SOTA has better facilities for art.

Any opinions/suggestions? :scratchhead:

scribbler
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Raffles' Girls Secondary VS SOTA

Postby Haneyi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi,

Personally, if I were you, I would go with RGS. But first, ask yourself, have you decided what you want to be and are you really keen/interested in art as a career?

Choose SOTA only if you are really keen and interested in art as a career. If you are not so sure, it is better to not go with SOTA. Besides, if you find out that you really really really like art and want to do it for a living in the future, it is not too late to actually go and learn in-depth about it.

I am not from RGS myself but I think that the environment is okay and is not unfriendly or anything. :) I'm not so sure on what you mean by whether IB is a ' safe ' curriculum to take on, but there really isn't much difference in terms of how well you are going to do, what you can do in the future etc. between IB and A levels.

Hope this helps, thank you! ^^

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Haneyi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi,

Personally, if I were you, I would go with RGS. But first, ask yourself, have you decided what you want to be and are you really keen/interested in art as a career?

Choose SOTA only if you are really keen and interested in art as a career. If you are not so sure, it is better to not go with SOTA. Besides, if you find out that you really really really like art and want to do it for a living in the future, it is not too late to actually go and learn in-depth about it.

I am not from RGS myself but I think that the environment is okay and is not unfriendly or anything. :) I'm not so sure on what you mean by whether IB is a ' safe ' curriculum to take on, but there really isn't much difference in terms of how well you are going to do, what you can do in the future etc. between IB and A levels.

Hope this helps, thank you! ^^

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby imagineponies » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 am

Hi there! I personally believe in SOTA as the IB is as internationally recognized as the A Levels, so it's not exactly risky. I'm also twelve and received a CO from SOTA. Apparently SOTA does have a balance between Art and Academics and there are 3 students who had a perfect score for their IB. RGS and the "branded" schools tend to be VERY pressurizing, imagine how would you feel if you got 4 A*s yet you are the last of the class! :yikes: :yikes:

I think that you should take your time to think about it after PSLE, and decide which school is the best for you. After all, they say that being in a school that you like can make you feel more motivated to do better in your studies. Gambatte, Scribbler! And good luck! :rahrah: :rahrah:

imagineponies
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Growing.Pains » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Scribbler, it's been two years since you posted this. Did you end up in SOTA or RGS? My daughter is taking her PSLE this year and also trying to decide between RGS and SOTA, so any update from you would be appreciated.

Growing.Pains
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Growing.Pains » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:47 am

Growing.Pains wrote:Hi Scribbler, it's been two years since you posted this. Did you end up in SOTA or RGS? My daughter is taking her PSLE this year and also trying to decide between RGS and SOTA, so any update from you would be appreciated.

Sorry I meant "...it's been three years..."

Growing.Pains
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby FireflyMom » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Growing.Pains,

Pls allow me to kaypoh here. My girl is currently in RGS and she is enjoying every min of her school life. The programme is rigorous but the environment is certainly NOT unfriendly. The girls are very close to one another, including the seniors. The sisterhood spirit is very strong. They help each other with school work (at least the vast majority of them do coz I can't deny we get black sheep everywhere) and personal life. Please do not get me wrong, while I say RGS is good, I'm not saying SOTA is bad. It could be as good too! I'm just sharing my girl's experience at RGS. That's all. Hope this helps :wink:

FireflyMom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection