Ballet or Chinese Dance for DSA application

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Ballet or Chinese Dance for DSA application

Postby amylqf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 am

Hi, Experienced Parents,

My girl is still in primary. Now she joined both ballet @CC and chinese dance as school CCA. She likes both dance and doesn't have any preference.

Both dance classes extra practice and coaching class will take up her four days a week out of school time. I am afraid that it will be too much for her to handle. I would like her to just focus on 1 dance. Practically, which one might be more useful in the future, say direct access to secondary school (DSA)?
Does those school's selection criteria is based on certification (ballet) or no certification (chinese dance)?

Parents who have experienced DSA selection process would kindly feedback?

Thanks.

Title of thread edited for easier identification.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby flametree » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 am

hi,

my girl did both ballet and chinese dance when she was in primary school. She's now sec 1 but she did not apply DSA via dance.

from what i know, to DSA via dance, depending on the school you are eyeing for, the more reputatable ones will need certification. Alternatively, you can look into your targeted school's website for DSA info, the minimum requirements should be stated.

hope it helps.

flametree
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby turquoise » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:53 am

It really depends on the school you're applying for DSA at. Some schools like SCGS & MGS would audition DSA students through ballet. I'm not sure but RAD Grade 5 is probably a minimum grade they would consider. Other schools like NYGH have a strong Chinese Dance background and probably audition through Chinese dance. SOTA auditions all kinds of dancers, be it ballet or chinese dance, indian dance etc.

I personally think ballet would have wider appeal because it is a building block to a lot of different genres of dance.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby amylqf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks for replying my post.

I did go to MOE website to check out those schools with DSA. but on their website, they didn't mention clearly those criteria of what kinds of CCA/talents they are looking for. They just ask students to fill in the form and access from there. I heard from some parents that school will only accept ballet students who are at least RAD grade 5 above. Less than that, don't bother to apply. but that kind of criteria doesn't mentioned on any DSA school website.

Then I search for school CCA, some school have chinese dance, some school just list down general terms of the dance, e.g. modern dance, international dance, dance, etc.. Does those dance including ballet?

I supposed most of IP school have chinese dance (although I didn't see raffles girl offer chinese dance as CCA). Assume that it is for the sake of DSA, does it make sense that my girl should focus more on chinese dance? Again, some parents say chinese dance doesn't have certification or as formal as ballet. ballet will be international recognized. If the child is really good at it, then maybe can use it as a career, who knows. I am quite confused of what to chose..... In the end, the child's time is so limited. Although it sounds Kiasuh, it is make more sense to put those energy to the CCA that have more impact to the future path, isn't it?

Your view, please...

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Which schools are you interested in? Schools do not offer DSA in every CCA. It depends on their niche. So if you're interested in MGS for eg., you're not going to get in through Chinese Dance. Conversely, if you're interested in NYGH, you're not getting in via ballet. This is assuming your child is equally interested in both ballet and chinese dance and doesn't mind pursuing one firstly because she's interested in that form of dance and not because it will get her a place through DSA.

Some schools do spell out their minimum criteria for DSA application on their websites. RAD Grade 5 as the minimum criteria is clearly spelt out. If the info is not on the site, call the school up.

Auditions for international dance usually requires a background in formal ballet training.

A word of caution - schools do change their DSA-desired CCA. So it could very well be that in the year you're applying for DSA, the school opts not to take in any students via Dance CCA.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby amylqf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:05 pm

turquoise wrote:Which schools are you interested in? Schools do not offer DSA in every CCA. It depends on their niche. So if you're interested in MGS for eg., you're not going to get in through Chinese Dance. Conversely, if you're interested in NYGH, you're not getting in via ballet. This is assuming your child is equally interested in both ballet and chinese dance and doesn't mind pursuing one firstly because she's interested in that form of dance and not because it will get her a place through DSA.

Some schools do spell out their minimum criteria for DSA application on their websites. RAD Grade 5 as the minimum criteria is clearly spelt out. If the info is not on the site, call the school up.

Auditions for international dance usually requires a background in formal ballet training.

A word of caution - schools do change their DSA-desired CCA. So it could very well be that in the year you're applying for DSA, the school opts not to take in any students via Dance CCA.

Thank you for your suggestion.

As my girl is still in lower primary school, so it might be too early to tell which school that she can get in. Actually I also don't have the target on which secondary school. it has to depends on her academic result @ final year.

I will see where her interest lead her 1st. Now she can't tell me which dance she prefer. maybe after another year, she will know herself better. In the mean time, I suppose just let her doing both dance.

Do you know any ballet girl who skip exam, in the end still can get RAD grade 5 certificate? I just want to see if it is what usually people do. for example,
continue the ballet lessen,but skip grade 1 exam, then on the next year, go for grade 2 exam. Is anyone doing that?

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:58 pm

About skipping Grade 1 exam, yes it can be done but it really depends on your ballet teacher. Some teachers are very strict and want their girls to take every exam. Others are more easy-going. If your dd enjoys ballet, she would look forward to the exams and it wouldn't be a chore, even the extra coaching lessons. In any case, she's only in P1 so let her explore as many activities as she can while the academic workload is still not heavy.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby amylqf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:10 pm

turquoise wrote:About skipping Grade 1 exam, yes it can be done but it really depends on your ballet teacher. Some teachers are very strict and want their girls to take every exam. Others are more easy-going. If your dd enjoys ballet, she would look forward to the exams and it wouldn't be a chore, even the extra coaching lessons. In any case, she's only in P1 so let her explore as many activities as she can while the academic workload is still not heavy.

haha, now she has already complain that no time to play.
she sleep a lot, 11-12 hour a day. morning wake up late and only have 1-1.5h to do her homework. so if morning occupy by all dances, then she has do finish homework at night.

my daughter's teacher is not strict. she said it is up to me to decide. but she encourage to take up the exam for every level. else she has to access my daughter 1st before taking up the exam.

so that's why I am asking whether skipping grade exam is common for all other ballet girl.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 pm

At the ballet schools I'm familiar with, most kids take every exam grade. But that's also because the teachers advise them to do so. The other thing to consider is, usually students who take all the exams are better dancers because they attend more classes in preparation for the exam and are more serious about dance.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Do check possible secondary schools that will take in students DSA through dance.

I know PLMGS(S) does. As long as you have ballet background & can dance well with good physique, they'll take you in.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection