HCI as an "IP" school.

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

HCI as an "IP" school.

Postby hcisonparent » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Dear all fellow parents, I would like to share with you some of my son's experience in HCI.
P6s and their parents are told HCI has a smooth journey to JC as it is an IP school. However that claim is a total lie. In HCI, there are 2 class which are "O level classes", students who do not do well in Sec three or Sec four are streamed into this class. Those who enter at sec four are at a major disadvantage as they have to learn 4 years of humanities in a year. The school force the students to only take the pre-assigned humanities. The school disposes of it's weaker students instead of nurturing them and helping them. the IP stream is not all that good as well. Students who do not do well in the IP stream's end of year exams are asked to either retain in the o level class or go to a polytechnic. This year, a huge number of secondary four students are doing very badly due to the agonisingly difficult end of year papers, Most noticeably Chemistry and E maths. A lot of secondary four students in my son's batch are at risk of going to polytechnic because of the school's ruthless system. From what I see, HCI's IP system is failing, and they blame it on the students. In order to save their already declining A level scores, instead of nurturing, they just get rid of the worse students, an incorrigibly elitist act.
In all, I am posting this to make parents aware of how scheming HCI is as a school and how they push the blame to their students.

hcisonparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: HCI as an "IP" school.

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Falling behind and thus cast aside could happen in other IP schools too.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hcisonparent » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Do you have any evidence/examples to give? the only IP which I know of which has O level class is Dunman high.

hcisonparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:27 pm

hcisonparent wrote:Do you have any evidence/examples to give? the only IP which I know of which has O level class is Dunman high.

I am not sure what you mean but I am currently looking at the "Choosing Your Secondary School" booklet and there is a list of schools that have both O level and also IP programme:

ACSI
CHS
Cedar Girls
St. Nic
MGS
SCGS
SJI
VS

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
hcisonparent wrote:Do you have any evidence/examples to give? the only IP which I know of which has O level class is Dunman high.

I am not sure what you mean but I am currently looking at the "Choosing Your Secondary School" booklet and there is a list of schools that have both O level and also IP programme:

ACSI
CHS
Cedar Girls
St. Nic
MGS
SCGS
SJI
VS

I think the above is different. These are sch that offer dual track programme.

Some schs r supposed to be only 1 track.

I heard that NJC does not give chance to students who could not improve despite sch extending support programme. These students r then asked to leave.

The other IP schs give chance by opening up a O lvl track class for a group of students who cant cope with the IP track.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm

ngl2010 wrote:

ACSI
CHS
Cedar Girls
St. Nic
MGS
SCGS
SJI
VS

Think he is refering to pure IP schools like ri, rgs, hci, nygh, dhs, rvhs, nush

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Jennifer wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:

ACSI
CHS
Cedar Girls
St. Nic
MGS
SCGS
SJI
VS

I think the above is different. These are sch that offer dual track programme.

Some schs r supposed to be only 1 track.

I heard that NJC does not give chance to students who could not improve despite sch extending support programme. These students r then asked to leave.

The other IP schs give chance by opening up a O lvl track class for a group of students who cant cope with the IP track.

I see.

:sweat:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:36 pm

hcisonparent wrote:Dear all fellow parents, I would like to share with you some of my son's experience in HCI.
P6s and their parents are told HCI has a smooth journey to JC as it is an IP school. However that claim is a total lie. In HCI, there are 2 class which are "O level classes", students who do not do well in Sec three or Sec four are streamed into this class. Those who enter at sec four are at a major disadvantage as they have to learn 4 years of humanities in a year. The school force the students to only take the pre-assigned humanities. The school disposes of it's weaker students instead of nurturing them and helping them. the IP stream is not all that good as well. Students who do not do well in the IP stream's end of year exams are asked to either retain in the o level class or go to a polytechnic. This year, a huge number of secondary four students are doing very badly due to the agonisingly difficult end of year papers, Most noticeably Chemistry and E maths. A lot of secondary four students in my son's batch are at risk of going to polytechnic because of the school's ruthless system. From what I see, HCI's IP system is failing, and they blame it on the students. In order to save their already declining A level scores, instead of nurturing, they just get rid of the worse students, an incorrigibly elitist act.
In all, I am posting this to make parents aware of how scheming HCI is as a school and how they push the blame to their students.

There must be reasons why a batch of students did not do well. I think it is unfair to blame on difficulty of EOY papers. It is not the whole cohort that did badly, right?

To know what exactly happened, maybe we go read any sharings in the HCI thread?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PiggyLalala » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:40 pm

May I know how many students are there in each of the o level class?

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeemimi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Are these students mainly those that dsa via non-academic routes?
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection