Tea and Engagement Session (SOTA)

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Tea and Engagement Session (SOTA)

Postby FinnSmith1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi,

On 18th October, SOTA had a tea and engagement session for parents and pupils. I was looking forward to that session but my husband and I were both busy, so we couldn't take part in it. :sad:

Can anyone who attended that session tell me what had happened there?? Was there any important information such as purchase date of uniform and text books??

Thanks for your help in advance! :smile:

FinnSmith1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tea and Engagement Session (SOTA)

Postby resgmom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 pm

repeated post
Last edited by resgmom on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby resgmom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm

We where there. For parents there's another quick overview and Q&A session. For students, there's also interaction session with other students and teachers under different art forms. Tentative date of reporting (pending MOE confirmation) is 23 Dec and that's the same for all schools.

The Q&A session was as you expect, the type of questions from mainstream parents. You can sense that parents were really concerned about academics and about future careers (e.g. engineering - "no issue" was the answer from SOTA, and medicine "you should go to NUS High or mainstream school" was the answer). The principal and VP were really stressing that this is ultimately an Art school and I hope this sort of approach would really make parents realise that they're into something different in SOTA.

According to my friend who's DC currently in SOTA, this is a deviation away from what SOTA previously preached, to try and produce scientist and doctors with the benefit of an art based education. Could be because of change in principal? There's also mentioning of reviewing of SOTA's future direction during the talk.

All in all, it's a great engagement session and you can sense that SOTA really want those who have CO to put them as first choice. Ultimately it depends on the child's passion and interest and consideration if there could be a question of sustainability of interest in art for the next 6 years. At least for visual arts, 8-10 hours will be spent on the art form every week - could be more for other art forms e.g. dance.

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby FinnSmith1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 am

resgmom wrote:We where there. For parents there's another quick overview and Q&A session. For students, there's also interaction session with other students and teachers under different art forms. Tentative date of reporting (pending MOE confirmation) is 23 Dec and that's the same for all schools.

The Q&A session was as you expect, the type of questions from mainstream parents. You can sense that parents were really concerned about academics and about future careers (e.g. engineering - "no issue" was the answer from SOTA, and medicine "you should go to NUS High or mainstream school" was the answer). The principal and VP were really stressing that this is ultimately an Art school and I hope this sort of approach would really make parents realise that they're into something different in SOTA.

According to my friend who's DC currently in SOTA, this is a deviation away from what SOTA previously preached, to try and produce scientist and doctors with the benefit of an art based education. Could be because of change in principal? There's also mentioning of reviewing of SOTA's future direction during the talk.

All in all, it's a great engagement session and you can sense that SOTA really want those who have CO to put them as first choice. Ultimately it depends on the child's passion and interest and consideration if there could be a question of sustainability of interest in art for the next 6 years. At least for visual arts, 8-10 hours will be spent on the art form every week - could be more for other art forms e.g. dance.

Okay, thank you! :)

FinnSmith1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection