How do we know if 3 A Stars will be good enough?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

How do we know if 3 A Stars will be good enough?

Postby Truth Hurts » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:26 am

Hi everyone

Just 2 thoughts:

1) Without a detailed point system like the old T scores system to guide parents and students in choosing schools, how would we know if my 3 A Stars and 1 A is good enough to enter a school like RI?

2) MOE/Schools now admit students based on meritocracy. Surely they must know the ranking order. Does this mean they have access to T scores and parents/students don't? Essentially nothing has changed. In fact we have less transparentcy now!!!

Can other parents add their thoughts to enlighten me. Much appreciated.

Truth Hurts
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How do we know if 3 A Stars will be good enough?

Postby sushi88 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm

This is the outcome of complaining thoughtlessly.

If we want a change, be clear what we want the change to be and not vent endlessly about nothingness and ended being treated more and more like kids....without transparency.

Actually, this is a subtle way of telling parents, let the kids put their best foot forward and we will do the S1 posting. Do not be so involved in the nitty-gritty anymore and add more stress.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby resgmom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 pm

First they say no more announcing top student.
Now T scores will not be released even though the cut throat competition is still there (considering that PSLE scores are to the 4 decimals)

I don't think system is heading in the right direction, they're just picking the lowest hanging fruit. With less transparency and we cannot rely on historical T scores anymore to pick the right school, it'll be impossible for parents to select the most probable schools for their children. If left for MOE to decide how could MOE consider the preferred geographical location for the student (who might prefer to "less desirable" school because it's closer to home) as well as the scores? :cry:

MOE is not addressing PSLE's intense competition by eliminating T scores.

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby BeContented » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:58 pm

resgmom wrote:First they say no more announcing top student.
Now T scores will not be released even though the cut throat competition is still there (considering that PSLE scores are to the 4 decimals)

I don't think system is heading in the right direction, they're just picking the lowest hanging fruit. With less transparency and we cannot rely on historical T scores anymore to pick the right school, it'll be impossible for parents to select the most probable schools for their children. If left for MOE to decide how could MOE consider the preferred geographical location for the student (who might prefer to "less desirable" school because it's closer to home) as well as the scores? :cry:

But the 'fact' is (read around & some friends around me), there are people calling for it & welcome the removal of T-score to replace with banding. You can't please everyone.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby anxious.dad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 pm

resgmom wrote:First they say no more announcing top student.

Has MOE announced the details of the new PSLE grading and S1 posting system? I thought MOE said it will take some time before the new system will be implemented. If the new system has not kicked in this year, I believe the t-score will still be in place and you could safely use past COP as a guide to select your ideal schools for your dc.

anxious.dad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby resgmom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:15 pm

anxious.dad wrote:Has MOE announced the details of the new PSLE grading and S1 posting system? I thought MOE said it will take some time before the new system will be implemented. If the new system has not kicked in this year, I believe the t-score will still be in place and you could safely use past COP as a guide to select your ideal schools for your dc.

Not for my DS this year but for the younger one taking PSLE 2018 - I guess we could always count on KSP, to discuss strategies when the time comes :sweat:

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

My sentiments exactly... seems like you better go for DSA if you want a school like RI. Hopefully the banding will be clearer and not range too widely. The system would work if the school based its acceptance purely on the banded grades like the O levels but it would not work if schools still looked at the T-score behind our backs.

Back in the old days, how did those pple who only had "Pass" (No T-score) for their PSLE get the courage to apply for RI?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Once the new system is implemented, I doubt they will allocate school places based on some hidden T score. It is more likely to be based on banding plus some other factors since many people will have identical banding. This is the "moving away from academic focus" that many people are asking for.

At the end of the day, if people are still aiming for the top few schools, many people are still going to miss their dream school. There will still be disappointments and unhappiness. Different group of people will complain. :siam:
Last edited by wonderm on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby resgmom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:36 pm

wonderm wrote:Once the new system is implemented, I doubt they will allocate school places based on some hidden T score. It is more likely to be based on banding plus some other factors since many people will have identical banding. This is the move away from academic focus that many people are asking for.

At the end of the day, if people are still aiming for the top few schools, many people are still going to miss their dream school. There will still be disappointments and unhappiness. Different group of people will complain. :siam:

That means more admin work and more DSA - hopefully not adding more stress to teachers. Actually, are our teachers/school administrators equipped/trained enough to consider non-academic qualities? Also, expect the tuition/enrichment scene to respond appropriately...and recruit our school administrators involved in the DSA process from top schools :siam:

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby BeContented » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm

wonderm wrote:Once the new system is implemented, I doubt they will allocate school places based on some hidden T score. It is more likely to be based on banding plus some other factors since many people will have identical banding. This is the "moving away from academic focus" that many people are asking for.

:goodpost: More complaints actually, even existing group will.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection