Lets not forget students who did foundation subjects

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Lets not forget students who did foundation subjects

Postby mahes_gopal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

While I congratulate all parents for their children excellent results let not forget our foundation pupils who put blood and sweat in it.Parents be proud of your foundation kids and post their achievements. Every small achievement counts for these children.

Let me be the first one. My son did 3 foundation MT exempted. He got two grade 1s and 1 grade 2. Aggregate 170 Normal Academic

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Lets not forget students who did foundation subjects

Postby hquek » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm

hi mahes_gopal,

:congrats: Thanks for sharing. I'm clueless regards the scoring (planning on learning when my kids get older) but these sound good. Your child has worked hard and deserves a pat on the back.

All the best to him and may he get into his choice school!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:15 pm

mahes_gopal wrote:While I congratulate all parents for their children excellent results let not forget our foundation pupils who put blood and sweat in it.Parents be proud of your foundation kids and post their achievements. Every small achievement counts for these children.

Let me be the first one. My son did 3 foundation MT exempted. He got two grade 1s and 1 grade 2. Aggregate 170 Normal Academic

:congrats:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lalamum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Mahes_Gopal,

Thanks so much in sharing your joy and your son's success.
Good job and do send my hugs and congrats to him....don't forget the treat!!

Lalamum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 pm

mahes_gopal wrote:While I congratulate all parents for their children excellent results let not forget our foundation pupils who put blood and sweat in it.Parents be proud of your foundation kids and post their achievements. Every small achievement counts for these children

Congratulations, your son has done well. I hope he can enter his dream school.

However do note that there is a gap between foundation level and standard level in PSLE, hence he needs to put in extra effort for the heavy curriculum in NA, especially for Maths.

Just for info, my nephew sat for 4 foundation subjects last year , hence I rougly know the gaps between the 2 levels. He struggle abit for his Sec 1 NT course this year, considering there are less subjects in NT as compared to NA.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mahes_gopal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 pm

koguma wrote:
mahes_gopal wrote:While I congratulate all parents for their children excellent results let not forget our foundation pupils who put blood and sweat in it.Parents be proud of your foundation kids and post their achievements. Every small achievement counts for these children

However do note that there is a gap between foundation level and standard level in PSLE, hence he needs to put in extra effort for the heavy curriculum in NA, especially for Maths.

Just for info, my nephew sat for 4 foundation subjects last year , hence I rougly know the gaps between the 2 levels. He struggle abit for his Sec 1 NT course this year, considering there are less subjects in NT as compared to NA.

That is my concern too. I never expected this result from him. I was prepared for him to go to normal technical. Even chose the schools. :stupid: This is so shocking. I really dont know if he can cope or not in NA. The gap is really big from foundation to NA. NT might be more suitable for him. I have no choice, I will let him try he really cannot cope will request to go to NT in sec 2. :sweat:

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

koguma wrote:

That is my concern too. I never expected this result from him. I was prepared for him to go to normal technical. Even chose the schools. :stupid: This is so shocking. I really dont know if he can cope or not in NA. The gap is really big from foundation to NA. NT might be more suitable for him. I have no choice, I will let him try he really cannot cope will request to go to NT in sec 2. :sweat:

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

koguma wrote:

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 pm

mahes_gopal wrote:That is my concern too. I never expected this result from him. I was prepared for him to go to normal technical. Even chose the schools. :stupid: This is so shocking. I really dont know if he can cope or not in NA. The gap is really big from foundation to NA. NT might be more suitable for him. I have no choice, I will let him try he really cannot cope will request to go to NT in sec 2. :sweat:

It shouldn't be difficult to promote from Sec 1 NA to Sec 2 NA. For my nephew's school (most schools are the same), you need to pass English and 2 subjects or pass 4 subjects. Failing to meet the criteria will be lateral transfer to Sec 2 NT or repeat Sec 1 NA.

If your son English foundation is good, I would strongly recommend him to go NA. He shouldn't have problems coping with the new subjects like Geog, Hist as they are mainly memorising work in lower sec. Literature may cause some problems but shouldn't be a big issue (even if he fails this subject but pass the rest of the subjects). Usually English Compo is the "killing" section in Sec Eng. You may want to start ensuring his grammar foundation is good, and then proceed to focus on vocabulary and writing skills.

Science (depending on the school), will be taught in Phy, Chem and Bio modules. Some of the chapters are actually covered in foundation science.

For subjects like DnT and Home Econ, as long as you study, should not be a problem. Arts, either you make it or break it. Cannot study right !

Maths , you need to start preparing him for algebra. As long as he understands algebra, he should be able to survive. Topics in sec 1 are mostly covered in PSLE maths. Some of the new chapters in Sec 1 are whole number, real number, approximation (eg. significant numbers), ratio, volume & surface area, statistics.

Hope the info are useful to you. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby growupmom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:47 pm

mahes_gopal wrote:While I congratulate all parents for their children excellent results let not forget our foundation pupils who put blood and sweat in it.Parents be proud of your foundation kids and post their achievements. Every small achievement counts for these children.

:congrats: I am sure he has tried his best.

growupmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection