2013 Request for Advice on Selecting Secondary School

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

2013 Request for Advice on Selecting Secondary School

Postby teacher_tutor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 am

Original Title: SJI vs Holy Innocents

Hello dear helpful parents!

My son scored 246 for the PSLE. We live right next to Holy Innocents so that's a big attraction, but everybody seems to think we should aim higher and apply for SJI. If you have a child from either school, could you give me some feedback, please?

I know to most of you this is a no-brainer, but it's a long commute, be it to the Bishan holding site or the Malcolm Road location. With so many post-school activities, he will be coming home very late.

Also, is there a lot of stress in SJI? A great deal of homework, tests, etc?

What about Holy Innocents? What's your opinion of the school? Last year's best performing PSLE student who went there scored 237.

Any input is much appreciated!

teacher_tutor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: SJI vs Holy Innocents

Postby emoh » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 am

teacher_tutor wrote:Hello dear helpful parents!

My son scored 246 for the PSLE. We live right next to Holy Innocents so that's a big attraction, but everybody seems to think we should aim higher and apply for SJI. If you have a child from either school, could you give me some feedback, please?

I know to most of you this is a no-brainer, but it's a long commute, be it to the Bishan holding site or the Malcolm Road location. With so many post-school activities, he will be coming home very late.

What about Holy Innocents? What's your opinion of the school? Last year's best performing PSLE student who went there scored 237.

SJI to Hougang should not be too far, if at Bishan you can take the MRT and change at Serangoon, around 4 stops only. If at Malcolm Road there is bus 153/151.

You can check the SJI thread for more info but like what you said earlier, it should be a no-brainer to choose SJI if you compare with Holy Innocents whose cut off is 223.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=620

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jetsetter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 pm

You live right next to Holy Innocents doesn't mean you die die must go there. If your son did so well 246, why not try for Victoria School which is not far from Hougang? You can take Bus 55 from Nativity Church via Hougang Ave 3 - Eunos Link - Marine Parade right? It's about 30-40min. VS is affiliated to VJC and has both IP and Olevel tracks.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teacher_tutor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:39 pm

emoh: Thanks for illuminating my path! Didn't know of the existence of the SJI thread...am fairly new to this Forum.

jetsetter: Thanks for the suggestion. However, I forgot to mention that we are Catholic, so yes, die-die he must attend a Catholic school. :p. VS, thus, is not an option.

teacher_tutor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:49 pm

teacher_tutor wrote:emoh: Thanks for illuminating my path! Didn't know of the existence of the SJI thread...am fairly new to this Forum.

jetsetter: Thanks for the suggestion. However, I forgot to mention that we are Catholic, so yes, die-die he must attend a Catholic school. :p. VS, thus, is not an option.

There is also catholic high and maris stella which you can consider

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 pm

teacher_tutor wrote:emoh: Thanks for illuminating my path! Didn't know of the existence of the SJI thread...am fairly new to this Forum.

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:58 pm

teacher_tutor wrote:Hello dear helpful parents!

Have you asked your child which school he prefer? Go for the nearest one to your house for convenience and dedicated teachers who are committed. Holy Innocent is a good choice since it is a Catholic school within walking distance from your place.

I do know of a Catholic family who allow their son to attend Victoria School. I guess it is up to individual family. The son should be in Sec 3 next year.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby emoh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:17 am

SJI would be having an Admission Information Day today, Monday 25 Nov 1pm-5pm with talks at 1pm, 3pm & 5pm

http://www.sji.edu.sg/subpage.php?id=466#13-11-02

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SS66 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi,

Do check out SJI, my DS is in Sec Two now,
so far very happy with the school.
Teachers are engaging and the boys are well mannered and confident.
Even the orientation is so well organised and school website are keep you informed of the various activities.

No regret sending DS there, school seems to be developing all-rounded boys not just pursuing academic excellence.

Cheers

SS66
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection