With 194... should DD choose Normal Acad or Express?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

With 194... should DD choose Normal Acad or Express?

Postby obiwanmum » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:10 pm

hi all,

DD got 194. Got As in Eng & Chinese. But D in Math and C in Science. It doesn't show, but we feel she's quite demoralised. :cry:

MOE gave her option for Express or N(A).

Looking at a few schools with N(A) eg. Anderson, AMK Sec, BPGH, Chung Cheng (Yishun), Kranji Sec. Based on past year COP, she can get in these schools for N(A).

We stay in Woodlands.

Question is...

Should we choose
1) the above N(A) schools OR
2) the Express stream schools near our area (eg. Admiralty, Canberra, Marsiling, etc) which has COP within her reach.

Appreciate advice...

TQ

obiwanmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: With 194... should DD choose Normal Acad or Express?

Postby rains » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:01 pm

My take is to choose Express whenever you can.

Express bcos the syllabus is very different from Normal stream. When you do O level, you won't get a shock at the different standard and having to make adjustments when you are at the 5th year.

Don't be distracted by the good schools available if you choose Normal. What matters most is the class you are in, the classmates you study with, and the kinda work that prepares you for O level.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xavnme » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 pm

obiwanmum wrote:hi all,

DD got 194. Got As in Eng & Chinese. But D in Math and C in Science. It doesn't show, but we feel she's quite demoralised. :cry:

MOE gave her option for Express or N(A).

Looking at a few schools with N(A) eg. Anderson, AMK Sec, BPGH, Chung Cheng (Yishun), Kranji Sec. Based on past year COP, she can get in these schools for N(A).

We stay in Woodlands.

Question is...

Should we choose
1) the above N(A) schools OR
2) the Express stream schools near our area (eg. Admiralty, Canberra, Marsiling, etc) which has COP within her reach.

Appreciate advice...

TQ

Hi Obiwanmum

I've the same issues as you & wonder whats right or wrong in our final choices.
Most of my friends , relatives suggested to go for express instead of wasting another year in NA.

I will suggest you to shortlist those high possible schools (express) & do some read up on the school performance. It may not be easy getting feedback for those schools over here, you may need to google for more info.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65315 Click here

xavnme
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby obiwanmum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:29 am

Thanks Rains. I agree with you, particularly "What matters most is the class you are in, the classmates you study with, and the kinda work that prepares you for O level".

Do you know of any NA schools that provide the best option for lateral transfer from NA to Express in Sec 1 or 2?

Hi xavnme,
Yes, it's a nightmare for us... my relatives and friends have the same views... ie do Express even though it may not be a good school. But my worry is my DD may suffer with the 9 subjects in Sec 1. As it is, she's weak in Math and Science. And she was from a premier primary school. So it'll be a double-whammy for her if she do badly in Express in non-branded sec school. "Demoted" to a non-branded school...and still can't cope. That's our fear....

obiwanmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby chenks » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 am

Choose a school that focuses on studies as well as discipline.
My son is in Chung Cheng Yishun.
Although he is in Express, I have also heard from my son the NA students in Chung Cheng Yishun behave no different from Express, mostly respectful.
But to get into Chung Cheng Yishun through Express with 194 quite impossible, maybe choose Chung Cheng Yishun Normal then study hard to get lateral transfer.
My son said his friend in Sec 2 Normal didn't have to sit for additional exams and is transferred to Sec 3 Express next yr because he already did well in Sec 2 exams.
Most schools still want pupils to sit for additional papers & choose only 1-2 to be laterally transferred.

chenks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby rains » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 am

obiwanmum wrote:Thanks Rains. I agree with you, particularly "What matters most is the class you are in, the classmates you study with, and the kinda work that prepares you for O level".

Do you know of any NA schools that provide the best option for lateral transfer from NA to Express in Sec 1 or 2?

Hi xavnme,
Yes, it's a nightmare for us... my relatives and friends have the same views... ie do Express even though it may not be a good school. But my worry is my DD may suffer with the 9 subjects in Sec 1. As it is, she's weak in Math and Science. And she was from a premier primary school. So it'll be a double-whammy for her if she do badly in Express in non-branded sec school. "Demoted" to a non-branded school...and still can't cope. That's our fear....

I don't have any recommendation for transfer from NA to Express. I am not sure how many percent of students manage to do such a transfer every year. I thought it is more damaging to the child's self-esteem for her to go to Normal stream. It will be great if the child is able to do a transfer eventually though.

I am just speaking from experience. Incidentally, a parent I met during my kid's psle year offered me the same advice. One of his sons went to a very good neighbourhood school's normal stream after they chose Normal, but he was frustrated that the teachers allocated were not fantastic.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chernme » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 pm

How are we able to know the chance (%) of students performing well to go from NA to Express? I think that it will be below 10% right? :)

chernme
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:23 pm

obiwanmum wrote:Thanks Rains. I agree with you, particularly "What matters most is the class you are in, the classmates you study with, and the kinda work that prepares you for O level".

Hi xavnme,

Yes. You are right to say that Sec school will have additional subjects. Math & Science will be tougher than pri syllabus. Not forgetting that this year papers are easier than previous years. Personal I still feel that school environment is very important to the kids. By going to a better school will minimise bad influences. No point to go to Express & then she can't cope with her school work. She might feel demoralising if she is being transferred from Express to Normal.
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Postby PiggyLalala » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Personally i think it is better for the child to be in the best NA class of a good school than in the last express class of a 'so so' school. Motivation and competition is usually higher in a good NA class than the last express class. It is also not about finishing the o level in 4 or 5 yrs. There are many NA students who do better than the express students in the o level exam. :)

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby ciaobella » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Dear Mummies

I STRONGLY encourage you to go for Express.
Why push DD to N(A) before you give her a chance to try for Express ?
Probably when she was not feeling too well when she did her PSLE or blank out....we never know
She might "开翘" when she promotes to Sec 1 next year.

My niece was an good example.
She was an average student in Primary Sch and not interested to study and got only 222 for 2012 PSLE.
This year in Sec 1, she scored 7A & 1B and will be receiving $500 cash award for top 10% in her school.

Go for EXPRESS and you will not regret......the rest (meaning future result) is up to your DD cos you did what is best already.

ciaobella
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection