Cedar vs SCGS

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Which do you prefer?

Cedar
56%
SCGS
44%

Total votes : 71

Cedar vs SCGS

Postby bigbang. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:04 pm

I scored an aggregate of 251+2 and is planning on applying for either cedar or scgs.Please advise :smile: .Many thanks in advance.

bigbang.
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Cedar vs SCGS

Postby kiaaik » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Cedar academic results is better.

kiaaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby UncleLim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm

bigbang. wrote:I scored an aggregate of 251+2 and is planning on applying for either cedar or scgs.Please advise :smile: .Many thanks in advance.

Both are good schools. Which one is nearer for you in terms of transport ?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bigbang. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:18 pm

UncleLim wrote:
bigbang. wrote:I scored an aggregate of 251+2 and is planning on applying for either cedar or scgs.Please advise :smile: .Many thanks in advance.

Both are good schools. Which one is nearer for you in terms of transport ?

Cedar

bigbang.
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Aberc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:25 pm

SCGS = independent school vs Cedar = govt school, hence fees are a lot higher at SCGS. Are you thinking of applying for IP or O level track? Cedar IP leads to VJC, SCGS leads to a new JC.

The COP for Cedar IP last year was 254 - it's not SAP so u won't be able to use your +2. If u r really keen on IP, u may want consider putting Cedar IP as first choice, SCGS IP as 2nd choice, followed by Cedar O level then SCGS O level.

Both are good schools so getting into either one is great! All the best to you :-)

Aberc
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Both sre good schools. If no scholarship then go Cedar will be cheaper & VJC is a good JC too. Ditance from home also need to be consider.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby apple juice lover » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:14 pm

well, being a cedarian myself, i would encourage you to go cedar. but the thing is is it better for you logistics wise and for getting in, i think getting into cedar will be no problem for you. besides, if you get in through o level, you will still have a shot for going to IP in sec 3! so think through and see how it is. good luck!

apple juice lover
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby piggybank » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:17 pm

I am also a Cedarian, go Cedar go :)

piggybank
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby GreenBird » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:31 pm

What are you applying ? O level or ip ?

If ip -
Scgs just started sec 1 ip this year.
Need sometime to prove the effectiveness of her ip programme.

In contrast, year 5 and 6 at Victoria jc for you next time - had been established. When you stand at the finishing line 6 years from now, Your "a level" results will eventually determine which university faculty you can get admitted in, in future.

Having said this -
From yr 1 to 4 - if you can, try to find out how cedar conduct her ip curriculum in class. Do likewise to Scgs ip curriculum. Compare & contrast both. The subject combination part is important, ESP. in yr 3 & 4. See which one you more comfortable with - the way they conduct lessons, the way they assign projects individually and in groups, the way they assess students. You may want to speak to the subject tr in charge.

If you apply for o level but interested in ip,
Ask both schools - what is their assessment criteria like, to switch over ?
Ask how much would you have missed out in the initial first 2 years, if you happen to switch over in yr 3 ?

Also, which school have the cca that you are interested in ?

GreenBird
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby iFirefly » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:57 pm

SCGS ...

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection