IP vs O level Route

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

IP vs O level Route

Postby BueyZai » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:47 pm

My girl scored 256, thinking to register her in Cedar O level as she is not very self discipline. But she wants to go IP route. Anyone can advise?

BueyZai
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: IP vs O level Route

Postby Skyed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm in VJC and I know quite a number of IP students who came from VIP. I would say that the majority of the IP students are now doing quite well in JC in terms of results, with only those who slacked a lot during their IP years struggling now. (however these IP students are from the old IP program that takes in students for sec 3).

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby isetan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Skyed, is the life in VJC very competitive among students or stressful with homeworks?

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:06 am

isetan wrote:Skyed, is the life in VJC very competitive among students or stressful with homeworks?

Well in JC life is stressful xD I personally have training during schooldays 3x a week, so I go home at around 8pm twice a week, and my saturday mornings are taken up. However a CCA is not even required in JC, so one can choose a less active one or none at all. With regards to schoolwork, at the start of the year it is quite manageable however as the year progresses I end up not doing some of my tutorials because I just don't have the time. I catch up on them during the weekends if possible, or wait till the next long holiday to catch up on the entire topic, assuming there is no test from that time till the hols.

The students I would say at least in my class aren't really competitive in the sense that we don't try to beat each other. When we take pictures of notes on the boards/during lectures, my classmates usually share them on the class whatsapp group for everyone.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby BueyZai » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 am

thank skyed.
How the the teaching different from normal 'O' level route?
Is the learning very independent? ie teacher tell where and what to read up and leave it to student to do research/ practice?
If chooseIP route and later the student can't cope, can go back to 'O' level route?

BueyZai
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Skyed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:44 pm

BueyZai wrote:thank skyed.
How the the teaching different from normal 'O' level route?
Is the learning very independent? ie teacher tell where and what to read up and leave it to student to do research/ practice?
If chooseIP route and later the student can't cope, can go back to 'O' level route?

I think O level in secondary school there's a lot more handholding and in JC there's less of that. We are taught in lecture-tutorial system in JC so the content is taught during lectures (which they usually go really fast in) and then the tutorial is spent going through assignements etc. However it is up to the student to seek consultations with the teachers (though if you're doing badly the teachers themselves will come and hound you to attend remedials). Not sure about the O level/IP thing, I wasn't from IP!

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby BueyZai » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Skyed,
Nevertheless thank for your sharing.

BueyZai
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection