All About T-Score

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Post Reply
CrazyDad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Oct 05,

All About T-Score

Post by CrazyDad » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:24 am

Hi All,
Base on the feedback from all parents and using the result from 2007. 2007 PSLE is pretty similar to 2009; very difficult math, easy Chinese and some tricky Science questions.

I have estimated the parameter to calculate the T score as followed;
CL: Mean = 78, StdDev = 10
EL: Mean = 73, StdDev = 11
Math : Mean = 63, StdDev = 9
Sci : Mean = 67, StdDev = 12

Use the formula : 50 - 10 * (your score - Mean)/StdDev
for each subject. Sum them up, you should get a glimps.


:xedfingers:

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 27,
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 am

Hi Crazydad, you are great. Thanks. Is it a typo error? 50-10*... or 50+10*..

CrazyDad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Oct 05,

Post by CrazyDad » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:46 am

Sorry, it should be 50 + 10 *...
Thanks for correction.. :oops:

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 27,
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 am

Oh my ...!

Those who score 100 for math will get a T-score of 91.

Those who score 100 for science (near impossible) will only get a T-score of 77.5

100 in English (another impossible case) the T-score will be 74.5

100 in Chinese (for PRC) the T-score will be 72.

I hope you will now understand why I have made so much noise regarding the Math paper. There will be at least 50 pupils out there who get 100 for math, enjoying a disproportionate jump in their T-score.

Anyway, MOE will sure have to moderate the marks. Otherwise the top student will have an aggregate T-score of over 300 (a new record)

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Oct 11,
Total Likes:27

Post by tutormum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

Using the formula together with highest possible scores and lowest possible scores, I've got unrealistic results. :? Can you please help me as I'm dumb in this. PLEASE, PLEASE, CrazyDad :cry:
What will my son's score be if he gets:
Maths 88
Science 80
Chinese 80
English 80
:love:


Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Apr 06,

Post by Dharma » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:09 am

atutor2001 wrote:Oh my ...!

Those who score 100 for math will get a T-score of 91.

Those who score 100 for science (near impossible) will only get a T-score of 77.5

100 in English (another impossible case) the T-score will be 74.5

100 in Chinese (for PRC) the T-score will be 72.

I hope you will now understand why I have made so much noise regarding the Math paper. There will be at least 50 pupils out there who get 100 for math, enjoying a disproportionate jump in their T-score.

Anyway, MOE will sure have to moderate the marks. Otherwise the top student will have an aggregate T-score of over 300 (a new record)
Hi atutor2001,

Thought max possible T-score is 75.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 27,
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:13 am

tutormum wrote:Using the formula together with highest possible scores and lowest possible scores, I've got unrealistic results. :? Can you please help me as I'm dumb in this. PLEASE, PLEASE, CrazyDad :cry:
What will my son's score be if he gets:
Maths 88
Science 80
Chinese 80
English 80
:love:
The estimated T-score will be:

CL - 52.0
EL - 56.4
M - 77.8
Sc - 60.8

Total : 247

finder
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Sep 15,

Re: Estimate T Score for 2009 PSLE

Post by finder » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 am

CrazyDad wrote:Hi All,
.......

I have estimated the parameter to calculate the T score as followed;
CL: Mean = 78, StdDev = 10
EL: Mean = 73, StdDev = 11
Math : Mean = 63, StdDev = 9
Sci : Mean = 67, StdDev = 12

:xedfingers:
CL 78, quite disadvantage for those strong at it.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 27,
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 am

Dharma wrote:
Hi atutor2001,

Thought max possible T-score is 75.
Unless MOE have set a maximum cut-off at 75, which I have not come across.

Otherwise, using the statistic formula, if out of 5000 studetns, everyone gets 0 and Tom is the only boy with 100, the T-score of Tom will be 50050 because the standard deviation is very very small - 0.02
Last edited by atutor2001 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Apr 06,

Re: Estimate T Score for 2009 PSLE

Post by Dharma » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 am

CrazyDad wrote:Hi All,
Base on the feedback from all parents and using the result from 2007. 2007 PSLE is pretty similar to 2009; very difficult math, easy Chinese and some tricky Science questions.

I have estimated the parameter to calculate the T score as followed;
CL: Mean = 78, StdDev = 10
EL: Mean = 73, StdDev = 11
Math : Mean = 63, StdDev = 9
Sci : Mean = 67, StdDev = 12

Use the formula : 50 - 10 * (your score - Mean)/StdDev
for each subject. Sum them up, you should get a glimps.

:xedfingers:
Hi crazydad,

Seems like your SDs are bit low for the difficult papers. Because w/ your estimated figures, a child who scores an average of 96 for all 4 subjects will get an aggregate score of 302 > 300.
Last edited by Dharma on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply