How to keep our P6 kids occupied before 22 Dec 09 ?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

How to keep our P6 kids occupied before 22 Dec 09 ?

Postby yellow-dk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Have been scratching my head... wondering what to do to keep my child occupied before school posting results are out.

Any recommendation on what sort of books to buy for him to read through prior to Sec 1? Problem is we don't know which school he will be going to as of now... hopefully one of the IP schools... :pray:

Thank u :)

yellow-dk
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to keep our P6 kids occupied before 22 Dec 09 ?

Postby daisyt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:14 pm

yellow-dk wrote:Have been scratching my head... wondering what to do to keep my child occupied before school posting results are out.

Any recommendation on what sort of books to buy for him to read through prior to Sec 1? Problem is we don't know which school he will be going to as of now... hopefully one of the IP schools... :pray:

Thank u :)

hi yellow-dk, how about some Sec 1 English literature books ? I can think of the following, award wining or good story-line (note : not all are used for Sec 1 literature)
1) Emily of Emerald Hill
2) To kill a mocking bird (a little difficult to understand)
3) Animal Farm
4) Sing to the dawn
5) Mrs Firsby and the rats of nimh
6) Toto chan
7) Chinese Cinderalla
8) Mao last dance

As for Chinese, you can get those teenage version of the 4 classics. There is also chinese version of toto chan worth reading. Another one is the series of 佐贺的超级阿妈.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yellow-dk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 pm

daisyt wrote:hi yellow-dk, how about some Sec 1 English literature books ? I can think of the following, award wining or good story-line (note : not all are used for Sec 1 literature)
1) Emily of Emerald Hill
3) Animal Farm
4) Sing to the dawn
6) Toto chan
7) Chinese Cinderalla
8) Mao last dance

As for Chinese, you can get those teenage version of the 4 classics. There is also chinese version of toto chan worth reading. Another one is the series of 佐贺的超级阿妈.

Thanks Daisyt
Sounds good. Do u know if these are available in the national library?

yellow-dk
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby karmeleon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 pm

daisyt wrote:hi yellow-dk, how about some Sec 1 English literature books ? I can think of the following, award wining or good story-line (note : not all are used for Sec 1 literature)
1) Emily of Emerald Hill
3) Animal Farm
4) Sing to the dawn
6) Toto chan
7) Chinese Cinderalla
8) Mao last dance

Mao's last dancer quite a long-drawn story, i find.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:47 am

yellow-dk wrote:
1) Emily of Emerald Hill
3) Animal Farm
4) Sing to the dawn
6) Toto chan
7) Chinese Cinderalla
8) Mao last dance

Thanks Daisyt
Sounds good. Do u know if these are available in the national library?

Yes, most of them are available in the lib. If not, you can go to bras brash, get 2nd hand.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luckystar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 am

I am not sure BOYs like to read those books. :?

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby karmeleon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45 pm

luckystar wrote:I am not sure BOYs like to read those books. :?

My 12yo boy read Chinese Cinderella, leh. He enjoyed it. Took his elder sister's sec 1 e-lit book(chinese cinderella), and then scoffed at my yellowing-at-the-edges copy of that same book. :P

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby James Ang » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:31 am

It is a good opportunity for taking a holiday as the P6 students have worked hard this whole year, so they should enjoy a good break. :D

The Chinese saying goes that "reading 10,000 books does not surpass travelling 10,000 miles". Let the children see the big wide world out there.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby karmeleon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:49 pm

James Ang wrote:It is a good opportunity for taking a holiday as the P6 students have worked hard this whole year, so they should enjoy a good break. :D

The Chinese saying goes that "reading 10,000 books does not surpass travelling 10,000 miles". Let the children see the big wide world out there.

See world also, lah. But also reading is good. ;-)

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby csc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 pm

James Ang wrote:It is a good opportunity for taking a holiday as the P6 students have worked hard this whole year, so they should enjoy a good break. :D

Agree. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection