International school or local school?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

International school or local school?

Postby jerrylizhiming » Tue May 27, 2014 2:53 pm

My child is going to PSLE soon. I hope she can go to international school. But she prefers local school as she knows little about international school. Any opinions? (BTW, we are Singaporeans.)Thanks.

jerrylizhiming
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: International school or local school?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:25 pm

First, it's not easy for a Singaporean to get a place in international school as I believe MOE is quite strict.

Second, why do you want her to go to international school? What do you see as the advantage over local school?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jerrylizhiming » Tue May 27, 2014 3:44 pm

In my opinion, local school is too academic oriented. At international school the children can explore more and their uniqueness can be respected.

jerrylizhiming
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 27, 2014 4:05 pm

I don't know much about the various international schools, but have you also considered where she will go on to after that? I don't know if many qualify to go to local universities or even want to go there, so you will also need to be prepared for her to go overseas for university. And after all those years mixing mainly with non-Singaporeans and overseas, there is a strong likelihood that she will want to live and work overseas. I'm not saying these are bad things, but they are things you should bear in mind. Also, do consider your daughter's preferences - if she really doesn't want to go, she may not be happy there.

As for local schools being too academic oriented, I think that as long as parents are willing to accept lower grades, there is still room for kids to explore non-academic areas. And of course some kids seem to be able to do it all!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

My child's friend (family is Singaporeans) went to an international school after PSLE. The curriculum is no less academic and is equally rigorous. I know the mom and she has mentioned numerous times that, contrary to what many people think, studying in an international school (or at least in the international sch that her child is in) is not a "walk in the park".

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dimsum » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

slmkhoo wrote:First, it's not easy for a Singaporean to get a place in international school as I believe MOE is quite strict.

Second, why do you want her to go to international school? What do you see as the advantage over local school?

I think MOE is not strict if it is admission to ACS International, SJI International & Hwa Chong International? i.e. Singaporeans are allowed to study there. Not long ago, there was a write-up in ST about these 3 schools. Seems like they are popular with parents with deep pockets whose kids had fared poorly in PSLE. At the end of 6 years, the kids get an IB diploma and then they fly off to UK/USA to get their uni degrees.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed May 28, 2014 7:41 am

dimsum wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:First, it's not easy for a Singaporean to get a place in international school as I believe MOE is quite strict.

I think MOE is not strict if it is admission to ACS International, SJI International & Hwa Chong International? i.e. Singaporeans are allowed to study there. Not long ago, there was a write-up in ST about these 3 schools. Seems like they are popular with parents with deep pockets whose kids had fared poorly in PSLE. At the end of 6 years, the kids get an IB diploma and then they fly off to UK/USA to get their uni degrees.

Thanks for the info. I guess those are treated differently from the other 'foreign' international schools. I did explore one of the 'foreign' schools before we returned in case one of my daughters wasn't able to get into Singapore school, and was warned that MOE might not allow them to take her.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed May 28, 2014 8:15 am

Yes, SJI International and ACS International are popular with those with deep pockets whose kids didn't do well enough in PSLE to go to a good secondary school. Quite a few students from certain primary schools end up there.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby xheyx » Thu May 29, 2014 9:32 pm

I think that an international school is worse than a local one. I also met a lot there that are aloof and proud just because they are a bit richer than some singaporeans. Really, there's no point going to an international school. U pay more and get less.

xheyx
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Pen88n » Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

For those returning from abroad with kids having studied in international schools abroad, MOE usually allow them to join international schools here in Singapore. I have friends in such circumstances with kids now in UWC, AIS and OFS etc.

But for those who are already in local school system and went through PSLE not scoring well and wanting to go internatinal schools, the options available to them now are mainly ACS International, HC International and SJ International. Other international schools usually not approved by MOE from what I heard.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection