RI DSA

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

RI DSA

Postby sharon yuansong » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:50 am

Just sent out the application for RI and NUSH. Does anyone go through this two schools' DSA can share what the first round selection tests are like? We apply "Math" domain for RI application, although my son has no any awards. RI also call their first round "GAT", is it similar GAT conducted by "GAT Singapore", is it MCQ also?

Thank you very much.

sharon yuansong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: RI DSA

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:11 pm

RI GAT is MCQ. Time given is very short so must work very fast accurately.

Last year I showed DS examples from googling based on keywords "non-verbal reasoning test" as shared by slmkhoo http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... l#p1007176

I didn't show many examples (I only showed 2 examples) because the key is to prepare DS not to get surprised on what will be tested. I thought showing too many examples is not good as his brain will be locked into certain types of questions and hence will limit his creativity in solving the question.

He passed RI GAT but failed the domain specific test although he is in RI now.

All the best to your DS!

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Atan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi ngl2010,

I have read abt RI DSA in DSA 2013 posts. Have you heard of any kids who successfully dsaed via math domain last yr?

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Atan wrote:Hi ngl2010,

I have read abt RI DSA in DSA 2013 posts. Have you heard of any kids who successfully dsaed via math domain last yr?

Hi Atan,

No, unfortunately I have not heard of any kids successfully DSAed via academic domain last year. DS also does not know anybody successfully DSAed via academic domain, music or arts domain. But he knows kids that successfully DSAed via sports.

However, if you read the DSA thread the years before last year, there were mainstreamers that successfully DSAed via academic domain. Maybe last year the kids just cannot make the cut? According to DS, GAT was not difficult. It was the 2nd round test that was difficult. He thinks maybe Sec 3 or 4 standard.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Atan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Tks v much, ngl2010. I rem there were no success cases in DSA 2012 too. During d recent DSA acad domain, the Dean did say that there r very few places f MS. I know f a kid who was unsuccessful in 2012 n entered via S1 posting too.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby midnight2014 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:47 pm

ngl2010 wrote:

Hi Atan,

No, unfortunately I have not heard of any kids successfully DSAed via academic domain last year. DS also does not know anybody successfully DSAed via academic domain, music or arts domain. But he knows kids that successfully DSAed via sports.

However, if you read the DSA thread the years before last year, there were mainstreamers that successfully DSAed via academic domain. Maybe last year the kids just cannot make the cut? According to DS, GAT was not difficult. It was the 2nd round test that was difficult. He thinks maybe Sec 3 or 4 standard.

Wah, standard so high, if somebody can clear the round 2 test then he really 天才 liao.

midnight2014
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pirated » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 am

midnight2014 wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:

Hi Atan,

Wah, standard so high, if somebody can clear the round 2 test then he really 天才 liao.

and they are not short of it

there are year 1 or year 2 kids who make it to the IMO national team

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:31 am

ngl2010 wrote:RI GAT is MCQ. Time given is very short so must work very fast accurately.

Last year I showed DS examples from googling based on keywords "non-verbal reasoning test" as shared by slmkhoo http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... l#p1007176

I didn't show many examples (I only showed 2 examples) because the key is to prepare DS not to get surprised on what will be tested. I thought showing too many examples is not good as his brain will be locked into certain types of questions and hence will limit his creativity in solving the question.

He passed RI GAT but failed the domain specific test although he is in RI now.

All the best to your DS!

is it still 60 questions in 20 minutes ?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 am

ngl2010 wrote:

Hi Atan,

one of the boys featured in the open house video this year was a dsa kid

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Atan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:36 am

Hi pirated, do U know which yr and via what domain?

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection