All About Preparing For Secondary One

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

All About Preparing For Secondary One

Postby cindylauper » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 am

Hi, as my daughter is attending secondary 1 next year, this kiasu mum would like her to make use of her full time this Dec holidays to get her prepared for Sec 1 education. I heard Geography will be a toughie. Should I ask her to read some materials? Haven't bought secondary school textbooks yet because don't know what school she will be posted to. Anyone can advise?

cindylauper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby daisyt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 am

hi cindylauper, when you mention Geography is tough, I guess because its a new subject to them. Generally, these new subjects, History, Geography, Literature, Chemistry would need more attention. Simply because they have not studied before in pri school. It also depends on your child's strength and weakness.

When looking at my girl's syllabus, I find History more difficult than Geo. Geo is purely memorise while History need analysise, key words and intereptation.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 am

daisyt wrote:When looking at my girl's syllabus, I find History more difficult than Geo. Geo is purely memorise while History need analysise, key words and intereptation.


This pt I disagree. Geo only need to memorise definitions and formulae, but if you try to memorise all the facts, you will fail terribly unless you "update" your facts every now and then since Geo case studies need to be up-to-date. Also, Geo has so many case studies, it is impossible to "spot" exactly which case study will be used in assignments/tests/exams. You need to know the concepts and skills (like those used in History and Social Studies) in order to be able to "adapt" your "memorised facts" to the current case study.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby caroline3sg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am

daisyt & schellen
How many types of texts for history & geography accross the schs?

History: Southest Asia, China & India
Geography: Our Earth

I think Chinese is same for all.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby daisyt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 pm

schellen wrote:
daisyt wrote:When looking at my girl's syllabus, I find History more difficult than Geo. Geo is purely memorise while History need analysise, key words and intereptation.


This pt I disagree. Geo only need to memorise definitions and formulae, but if you try to memorise all the facts, you will fail terribly unless you "update" your facts every now and then since Geo case studies need to be up-to-date. Also, Geo has so many case studies, it is impossible to "spot" exactly which case study will be used in assignments/tests/exams. You need to know the concepts and skills (like those used in History and Social Studies) in order to be able to "adapt" your "memorised facts" to the current case study.


True too .... Between Geo and History, my girl finds Geo more difficult while I find History more difficult. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby daisyt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm

caroline3sg wrote:daisyt & schellen
How many types of texts for history & geography accross the schs?

History: Southest Asia, China & India
Geography: Our Earth

I think Chinese is same for all.


caroline3sg, in dd's school, they are not using the one you mentioned above. Their history "textbook" is printed by the school and they have to take down a lot of notes in class. Geo, yes, our earth. Chinese, should be the same but got additional other works.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby nani » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Side track - Do you send your sec 1s for tution? If yes, on what subject? Isn't necessary to have tution (in the 1st plc are there any tution centre) for Geo, History & Lit?

MTIA :)

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:01 pm

caroline3sg wrote:daisyt & schellen
How many types of texts for history & geography accross the schs?

History: Southest Asia, China & India
Geography: Our Earth

I think Chinese is same for all.


Texts will differ for Humanities subjects as MOE allows publishers to "advertise" their materials to the schs. They can approach the schs directly. Of course, these materials have been approved by MOE and will follow MOE's syllabus. However, to compete with each other, publishers will create materials that go beyond the basic syllabus and provide additional teaching materials and after-sales service too. It is then up to the schs to decide.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:05 pm

nani wrote:Side track - Do you send your sec 1s for tution? If yes, on what subject? Isn't necessary to have tution (in the 1st plc are there any tution centre) for Geo, History & Lit?

MTIA :)


So far, I have not come across any students who attend tuition for Humanities subjects outside sch. (In sch, tuition = remedial.) I don't think that it is because there is no need for such tuition but more for the following reasons:
1. Tuition is not cheap so parents prefer to "target" the core subjects only/first.
2. Tuition takes up time and sec sch students have very busy schedules after sch hours. Priority goes to core subjects.
3. Parents don't see Humanities subjects as core subjects so they are unwilling to spend even if they can afford it. They'd rather send their children to enrichment classes instead, in the hope that skills picked up during such classes will boost their scores for the core subjects.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby caroline3sg » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:41 pm

nani wrote:Side track - Do you send your sec 1s for tution? If yes, on what subject? Isn't necessary to have tution (in the 1st plc are there any tution centre) for Geo, History & Lit?

MTIA :)


No tuition centre for Literature. Because different sch use different books, hence not possible for tutor to teach.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection