RGS/NYGH/RI/HCI/NUSH - SBGE for Yr 1 - Yr 2015

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

RGS/NYGH/RI/HCI/NUSH - SBGE for Yr 1 - Yr 2015

Postby GiftedGem » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:56 am

Hi all,

Welcome to the official opening of this thread. :hi5:

This is a spillover thread from GEP General Discussion from Pri level which we will be continuing from here.

Pls feel free to share and due to limited typing space in the header, other SBGE schools parents, you are welcome to chip in. The more, the merrier.

Of course, not forgetting one special parent (D) whose DS2 will be going to NUSH, though on different program, please share yr DC learning journey with us too.

Have a blessed and wonderful year 2015 ahead as our 2002 kids progress their footprints in their new sec schools.

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: RGS/NYGH/RI/HCI/NUSH - SBGE for Yr 1 - Yr 2015

Postby Book Worm » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi GG, thank you for creating this thread

DD has received both COs from NUSH and RGS.
Will share more once we finalise our decision making.

Looking forward to sharing our DC's stuff for the next 6 yrs. :)

Book Worm
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby YY1205 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:15 am

Hi GG, thanks for your quick action to create this new thread!

By Oct20th, we will get to know where our DS/DD are going to, let's continue to share our thoughts, our joys or our worries :) here in the next few years' journey!

YY1205
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Niharika » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Dear parents ,
Please guide us ......my dd has co from rgs and nushigh
We went to nushigh school preview ....so know what to expect from the school .
I m told rgs has no school preview as it's an establishe school so almost everybody knows about it .
We are new in singapore , and I am clueless about what rgs has to offer my child
Do they have accelerated syllabus ? Do they have a reputed math and science section ? How many pupils make it to good international universities ?
I understand that rgs offers wholistic development and has more CCA options than nus .
Please she'd some light on the subject .
Given a choice between rgs/ri vs nushigh , which one would you choose and why ?

Niharika
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Niharika wrote:Dear parents ,
I m told rgs has no school preview as it's an establishe school so almost everybody knows about it .
We are new in singapore , and I am clueless about what rgs has to offer my child
Do they have accelerated syllabus ? Do they have a reputed math and science section ? How many pupils make it to good international universities ?
I understand that rgs offers wholistic development and has more CCA options than nus .

My daughter is in RGS Yr3 so I can answer some, not all, your questions. The syllabus is somewhat accelerated compared with non-IP schools. I believe they are strong in all subjects (different girls and teachers, of course). I think many/most get into good universities, but they take their A levels and do university applications in RI, not RGS. Lots of CCA and other activities, but I don't know how it compares with NUSH. Choosing school is a very personal thing, so it's really hard to say. In terms of standards, both are highly-reputed schools which turn out high-achieving students, so I doubt there is much to choose between them if your daughter's main interests are in Maths and Sciences. I presume your daughter is not too humanities-inclined since she's considering NUSH (my daughter didn't even apply). As far as I know, students in both schools love their schools. If she really can't decide, just draw lots or pick the nearest to home. You can't go far wrong. I know how you feel as we came back to Singapore from overseas last year, and although we are Singaporeans, we had been away for 10yrs.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Niharika » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Niharika wrote:Dear parents ,

My daughter is in RGS Yr3 so I can answer some, not all, your questions. The syllabus is somewhat accelerated compared with non-IP schools. I believe they are strong in all subjects (different girls and teachers, of course). I think many/most get into good universities, but they take their A levels and do university applications in RI, not RGS. Lots of CCA and other activities, but I don't know how it compares with NUSH. Choosing school is a very personal thing, so it's really hard to say. In terms of standards, both are highly-reputed schools which turn out high-achieving students, so I doubt there is much to choose between them if your daughter's main interests are in Maths and Sciences. I presume your daughter is not too humanities-inclined since she's considering NUSH (my daughter didn't even apply). As far as I know, students in both schools love their schools. If she really can't decide, just draw lots or pick the nearest to home. You can't go far wrong. I know how you feel as we came back to Singapore from overseas last year, and although we are Singaporeans, we had been away for 10yrs.

:thankyou: so much for sharing . :please:

Niharika
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:20 am

Niharika wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:My daughter is in RGS Yr3 so I can answer some, not all, your questions. The syllabus is somewhat accelerated compared with non-IP schools. I believe they are strong in all subjects (different girls and teachers, of course). I think many/most get into good universities, but they take their A levels and do university applications in RI, not RGS. Lots of CCA and other activities, but I don't know how it compares with NUSH. Choosing school is a very personal thing, so it's really hard to say. In terms of standards, both are highly-reputed schools which turn out high-achieving students, so I doubt there is much to choose between them if your daughter's main interests are in Maths and Sciences. I presume your daughter is not too humanities-inclined since she's considering NUSH (my daughter didn't even apply). As far as I know, students in both schools love their schools. If she really can't decide, just draw lots or pick the nearest to home. You can't go far wrong. I know how you feel as we came back to Singapore from overseas last year, and although we are Singaporeans, we had been away for 10yrs.

I mentioned your questions to my daughter, and she pointed out one very important point which I had missed - RGS is all girls, while I think NUSH has more than 50% boys (not sure about this, but it's definitely co-ed!). You should see if your daughter has a preference. Personally, we like an all-girls school for this age as girls tend to be more in the background when there are strong and able boys around, but others may feel differently. When they go to RI in Yr5-6, it will be co-ed.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tck » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:03 am

I believe girls form only a-fifth of the cohort and they seem very precious to NUSH :) In co-ed environment, girls do tend to be overshadowed by boisterous boys, but I am not sure if this would apply to high-ability girls, esp those who enjoy talking about math and science more than the average boy. The students who have been placed at the forefront during Open Houses/Talks were mainly girls and they were extremely impressive and shared how pampered they felt in NUSH.

That said, RGS is probably at the forefront of schools which truly develop 21st century skills, more so than her male counterpart, but that's just a rough impression I get, from hearsay on the diverse activities that the girls get involved with and anecdotal encounters with the girls in events.

It is a happy problem that you have, Niharika. You won't go wrong either way.

tck
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Niharika » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Niharika wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:My daughter is in RGS Yr3 so I can answer some, not all, your questions. The syllabus is somewhat accelerated compared with non-IP schools. I believe they are strong in all subjects (different girls and teachers, of course). I think many/most get into good universities, but they take their A levels and do university applications in RI, not RGS. Lots of CCA and other activities, but I don't know how it compares with NUSH. Choosing school is a very personal thing, so it's really hard to say. In terms of standards, both are highly-reputed schools which turn out high-achieving students, so I doubt there is much to choose between them if your daughter's main interests are in Maths and Sciences. I presume your daughter is not too humanities-inclined since she's considering NUSH (my daughter didn't even apply). As far as I know, students in both schools love their schools. If she really can't decide, just draw lots or pick the nearest to home. You can't go far wrong. I know how you feel as we came back to Singapore from overseas last year, and although we are Singaporeans, we had been away for 10yrs.

I mentioned your questions to my daughter, and she pointed out one very important point which I had missed - RGS is all girls, while I think NUSH has more than 50% boys (not sure about this, but it's definitely co-ed!). You should see if your daughter has a preference. Personally, we like an all-girls school for this age as girls tend to be more in the background when there are strong and able boys around, but others may feel differently. When they go to RI in Yr5-6, it will be co-ed.

Once again :thankyou: for sharing .infact my daughter prefers an all girls school , may be that's why she has a strong inclination towards RGS . Being a parent I just thought I could collect as much information as possible about both the schools .....so that we can make an informed decision like I mentioned already we know fairly enough about NUS high coz of the school preview session ......but not much about RGS .we did go to rgs open house ,but unfortunately only attended the principals speech . We were not very sure dd will make it ,as it is said to have high selection standards .
But now that we have an offer I regret not taking full advantage of the opportunity I had .
I m glad I found KPF and the helpful members :please:

Niharika
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Niharika » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 am

tck wrote:I believe girls form only a-fifth of the cohort and they seem very precious to NUSH :) In co-ed environment, girls do tend to be overshadowed by boisterous boys, but I am not sure if this would apply to high-ability girls, esp those who enjoy talking about math and science more than the average boy. The students who have been placed at the forefront during Open Houses/Talks were mainly girls and they were extremely impressive and shared how pampered they felt in NUSH.

That said, RGS is probably at the forefront of schools which truly develop 21st century skills, more so than her male counterpart, but that's just a rough impression I get, from hearsay on the diverse activities that the girls get involved with and anecdotal encounters with the girls in events.

It is a happy problem that you have, Niharika. You won't go wrong either way.

Dear Tkc ,
Thanks for sharing ,I feel thankful that dd's efforts paid well . Infact I regret not having enough faith in her capabilities as I did not gather enough information about rgs at the open house .
I have no issues with the girl : boy ratio at Nus high . Nus high has never failed to impress me ,it tops on my list of sec school s for my dd .
But it's her life and her choice I have to give her enough space and adequate information to make this important decision for her self .
I feel compelled to have faith and trust in her . :xedfingers:
May all our children be nurtured well
Wishing the very best to our future generation ........ :pray:
Last edited by Niharika on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niharika
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection