HMT should be given creditials for entry to all schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

HMT should be given creditials for entry to all schools

Postby poke4ernest » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:05 pm

My DD has strong interest in chinese. She takes up HMT on her own accord and has been active as a member in her chinese reading club. She also represented the school on some occasions. We understand that taking HMT as an additional subject is time consuming like an additional cca in school and its PSLE score will only qualifies for entry only to SAP schools. So even though our intention is to eventually go for mainstream schools, my DD sat for HMT. When her PSLE score came out and she misses her dream school by 1 to 3 points, we appealed and of course HMT does not have any weightage for the schools. Whats appears peculiar to me recently is that with our much respected MMLee encouraging chinese, due to the dragon has risen, HMT is actually less or not important compared to dance, sports and everything else for appeals to mainstream schools. Does anyone shares any views on this? :?

poke4ernest
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: HMT should be given creditials for entry to all schools

Postby phankao » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:32 pm

poke4ernest wrote:My DD has strong interest in chinese. She takes up HMT on her own accord and has been active as a member in her chinese reading club. She also represented the school on some occasions. We understand that taking HMT as an additional subject is time consuming like an additional cca in school and its PSLE score will only qualifies for entry only to SAP schools. So even though our intention is to eventually go for mainstream schools, my DD sat for HMT. When her PSLE score came out and she misses her dream school by 1 to 3 points, we appealed and of course HMT does not have any weightage for the schools. Whats appears peculiar to me recently is that with our much respected MMLee encouraging chinese, due to the dragon has risen, HMT is actually less or not important compared to dance, sports and everything else for appeals to mainstream schools. Does anyone shares any views on this? :?

Hah - if said that way, then I think should have Higher Math, Higher Science - then only this would be applicable. Not just Higher Mother Tongue.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby poke4ernest » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:11 pm

phankao wrote: Hah - if said that way, then I think should have Higher Math, Higher Science - then only this would be applicable. Not just Higher Mother Tongue.

I think they had HMT in the first place because they wanted to promote chinese....so maybe there shouldnt be such inconsistencies in policies. No such subjects, and no such difference in entrance to school. Good and equal. :|

poke4ernest
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby poke4ernest » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm

They have secondary school for maths and science and also the Gifted programme in P3 picks out the strong ones in maths and science. So these group of students strong in maths and science is much cared for..

poke4ernest
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby poke4ernest » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:17 pm

phankao wrote:Hah - if said that way, then I think should have Higher Math, Higher Science - then only this would be applicable. Not just Higher Mother Tongue.

Maybe you can feedback to MOE and MMLee that he should also encouraged and promote higher maths and higher science. :lol:

poke4ernest
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby poke4ernest » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:37 pm

phankao wrote:Hah - if said that way, then I think should have Higher Math, Higher Science - then only this would be applicable. Not just Higher Mother Tongue.

Ok, I ponder upon your wise reply and what you say is definitely valid. But they have HMT optional now and not higher math or higher science so we are still back to HMT only for now. Doesnt answer why is HMT given additional 2 to 3 points for entry to SAP school and not to mainstream school? Dont they all study for the same leaving examination in the future?

poke4ernest
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:56 pm

poke4ernest wrote:They have secondary school for maths and science and also the Gifted programme in P3 picks out the strong ones in maths and science. So these group of students strong in maths and science is much cared for..

you take the english and maths test, not science.
I failed the second round when i was in P3 :cry:

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 pm

poke4ernest wrote:

Ok, I ponder upon your wise reply and what you say is definitely valid. But they have HMT optional now and not higher math or higher science so we are still back to HMT only for now. Doesnt answer why is HMT given additional 2 to 3 points for entry to SAP school and not to mainstream school? Dont they all study for the same leaving examination in the future?

Not all, cause most SAP are IP schools, and they only study for the A levels, not O levels.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby poke4ernest » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:20 pm

xxjustakidxx wrote:Not all, cause most SAP are IP schools, and they only study for the A levels, not O levels.

Didnt know about that. What about Nan Hua High?

poke4ernest
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phankao » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:08 pm

poke4ernest wrote:
xxjustakidxx wrote:Not all, cause most SAP are IP schools, and they only study for the A levels, not O levels.

Didnt know about that. What about Nan Hua High?

That's not true.

Then how about CHIJ St Nicholas, Catholic High School, Chung Cheng, Ngee Ann, etc?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection