Subjects taught in RGS & Cedar IP Track

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Subjects taught in RGS & Cedar IP Track

Postby Edyboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:30 am

Dear parents & students,
My DD is pretty much interested to know more about the subjects taught for these 2 very good schools.
I pretty much knw abt the subjects taught & the workload in RGS, as my DS is in RI now ..perhaps only for some gals 'stuffs' the Home economics & D&T under the aesthetics module. What kinda of topics or lesson covered in this subject? Is it tough?

As for Cedar i know they dont hv this Home Economics & D&T subject but instead the students are taught Design Thinking & Financial Literacy.. What is dat? Sounds pretty

I would say both schools produced very good & bright students.. If there is any important factor to look for before deciding which school.. I wud be greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Subjects taught in RGS & Cedar IP Track

Postby yukimaru » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:09 pm

I just graduated from Cedar's IP this year, so I can only help you with the Cedar, not RGS part of your question. The compulsory subjects are Higher MT, English, Math (they call it Integrated Math- a combination of topics from both A and E Math) and Chemistry. In Year 1 and 2, you have to take every subject, basically. Those I mentioned + Bio, Physics, Lit, Geog, History. Then at Year 3 you get to choose 2 Sciences (1 of which must be Chem) as well as 2 Humanities (History, Geog or Lit). Though you can take triple Science, our teachers don't really recommend that as students need to stay back after school for extra lessons. I didn't take Triple Sci so I don't know much about that.

At Year 4, you can choose to drop 1 Humanties subject for something called Global Studies, which is an introduction to Economics, as far as I can tell. (I didn't opt for this). And yes, we don't have Home Econs or D&T, though I did try out cooking in Year 1 as part of our compulsory electives programme.

Every year, they allocate some time for us to do Design Thinking, which is basically creating solutions to solve social problems. The steps in this picture will be your best friend during DT. ... 30x345.png In Year 3 we even got to work with external organisations, which was pretty cool. As far as I can remember, we did Financial Literacy only about once a year, and it's quite fun actually. We got to play a board game and stuff. Hope this helps!

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection