DSA 2018

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: DSA 2018

Post by deardear07 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:30 am

Anyway, whatever we speculate or heard from others, we are all just sharing what we know.

unless there is a parent who has come across such cases to step up and share..

I think I can safely say that most of the DSA offers are either reject, waitlist or confirmed. Conditional offers are not unheard of though, but my child didn't fall into that category.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

DSA 2018

Post by titank » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 am

Could anyone share for MGS & SCGS normally how many classes are catered for their affiliation from primary school?
Last edited by titank on Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harrychew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Harrychew » Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am

Musings wrote:Last year, a friend’s DS did obtain a CO from RI when he DSA through sports. Criteria was he needs to obtain T score of 23x at PSLE. Heard similar story for DSA sports to RGS the year before last, also T score must be 23x. The girl didn’t make the cut in the end.
This is contrary to past years' info shared on DSA forum. If I am recall correctly, no one has ever gotten a CO letter that states a higher T-score requirement than what is stated in MOE website.

Can your friend can provide an image of the CO offer letter that states T-score of 23X as a requirement?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by peasants » Thu May 10, 2018 11:54 am

deardear07 wrote:
hquek wrote:
deardear07 wrote:talking about selection of short stories or poems for this creative writing camp, does the school provide any training at all? or are the kids supposed to figure out and write themselves and then give to the teachers? If the teachers then have no clue of such creative writing camps, like mine, there will be zero chances of getting through...
DS1 went for it some years back and yes, he had to come up with the portfolio (a number of short stories that's not school compos, and poems). Teachers didn't provide any guidance but i think they had to provide a recommendation - information is available online (as with the application form). I can't think why teachers won't field questions if the child goes to them with questions.

When I picked DS up after the sessions, I saw there were a number of children from non-gep schools so it's definitely not restricted to geppers.
oh thanks much!

but do u know the process for this? i asked my child's tr and he doesn't seem to know of such things... he said for my child to change cca to drama to join competitions... which is irrelevant to what i was asking, on creative writing. so i'm guessing that my child's school doesn't even have such avenues...
You may want to check with the school principal. It may not be made known to all the classes.

Musings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:23

Post by Musings » Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Harrychew wrote:
Musings wrote:Last year, a friend’s DS did obtain a CO from RI when he DSA through sports. Criteria was he needs to obtain T score of 23x at PSLE. Heard similar story for DSA sports to RGS the year before last, also T score must be 23x. The girl didn’t make the cut in the end.
This is contrary to past years' info shared on DSA forum. If I am recall correctly, no one has ever gotten a CO letter that states a higher T-score requirement than what is stated in MOE website.

Can your friend can provide an image of the CO offer letter that states T-score of 23X as a requirement?
I don’t think this is publicised as both school and parents likely to want to keep it hush hush. As u can imagine, friend won’t want to show this. Just take it as something from the grapevine. Friend spent long time weighing the odds before accepting RI CO with this condition. Fear is that the kid cannot survive academically even if he can make it to RI. Indeed the boy barely clear the 23x hurdle and is struggling now n flunking tests etc. While it is still early days to tell whether the boy can survive (boy in S1 this year), the difficulties faced by sports DSA kids are real. The examples I know are of sports DSA kids - it makes sense to me in such cases to impose such conditions. Otherwise the gap in academic standards between sports DSA kids and the rest of cohort will be too large to bridge. Probably thats why we hear of the RI sports boys who had to do O lvls and cannot make it to JC.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:90

Post by Estéema » Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Don't sound credible.

MOE has its rules. IMO schs shld not be able to deviate scores so widely to reap a higher quality of crop.

But 23X is quite ordinary for DSA into RI won't it? Just my thots.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:126

Post by zac's mum » Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 pm

For any schools to override MOE’s requirements, by placing an additional condition, IMO that is not being fair. But maybe this will change when the DSA application procedure becomes centralized.

If the schools know that they kids will not survive the academic rigor, then they should simply *not* offer those kids a CO during the screening and interview process. Seems to me like the school just wants to make use of the kid for sporting glory. So try to lure the kid in, instead of cutting him free to consider other more suitable schools.

Musings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:23

Post by Musings » Thu May 10, 2018 12:32 pm

zac's mum wrote:For whichever schools to override MOE’s requirements, by placing an additional condition, IMO that is not being fair or sticking to the purpose of DSA.

If the schools know that they kids will not survive the academic rigor, then they should simply *not* offer those kids during the screening and interview process. Seems to me like the school just wants to make use of the kid for sporting glory. So try to lure the kid in, instead of cutting him free to consider other more suitable schools.
Those were our exact thoughts and friend is also aware. But prestige of the RI name is too attractive to pass up for most people. Anyway they are mentally prepared and have the financial means to send kid overseas if the kid cannot survive. Just reap benefit of RI education/name/opportunities first.

RestandRelax
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by RestandRelax » Thu May 10, 2018 12:43 pm

http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/ris-o- ... alified-jc
In this report, the RI students said they only need to score 200 to be accepted via DSA.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 pm

RestandRelax wrote:http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/ris-o- ... alified-jc
In this report, the RI students said they only need to score 200 to be accepted via DSA.
the report mentioned that most of the students cannot cope with IP, been identified to move down to O-level class, were school athletes.

"At the end of Secondary Two, the 10 students, most of whom were school athletes , were asked to move to the 'O' level track to do a fixed combination of eight subjects. "

And, once RI identified these boys to enter the O-level class, their subject combination of maximum 8 subjects, from Sec 3 onwards, is fixed.