DSA 2018

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Re: DSA 2018

Post by sky minecrafter » Fri May 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Last edited by sky minecrafter on Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by peasants » Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm

phtthp wrote:
cherrygal wrote:Hi asking for a friend here. Her gal results only averaging 70% but is great at sports. She doesn't do HCL.
Can she still DSA with sports to the IP or SAP schools like SNGS, Chung Cheng High?
Hi cherrygal,

Regarding your friend's P5 daughter averaging 70% overall , at 2018 SA1, CHIJ St Nicholas Secondary will also need to look at her next year, 2019 P6 SA1 / SA2 (Prelim) results. School will look into DSA applicant's both P5 and P6 results, when she submit her DSA Application form, next year (2019 June / July).

a)
do encourage your friend's daughter to try work harder on her current 70% overall, for her coming P5 SA2 (October).

Reason :-
at current 70 % overall, if one work backwards try to compute her T-score, roughly, it is around :-

if take 0.72 : her T-score is roughly, (0.72 x 70 x 4 subjects) ==> 201.6

if take 0.73 (slightly, a bit higher) : her T-score is roughly (0.73 x 70 x 4 subjects) ==> 204.4

if take 0.75 (more optimistic) : her T-score is roughly (0.75 x 70 x 4) ==> 210

Sorry to say, but whether her T-score is approximately 201.6 or 210 range, it is still ... low.

Because for affliated girls going back to St Nick Sec : the lowest T-score is 230, while the official T-score for Non-DSA P6 students coming in is 254 (in some past years) or 255 (for O level), and for IP is around 258.

Under DSA policy, although it is stated that as long as one qualify to meet Express stream, one can enter the school, however as her 70% overall is way below even the affliated T-score at 230 :-

she may face an uphill struggle academically in her Secondary school-life, assuming she's able to get in via DSA, via Sports skills (talent). Not to mention the demanding at least 3x per week Sports training requirement, very time-consuming and make her tired (exhausted), assuming she get in, accept & sign the DSA binding contract with MOE, plus the heavy, demanding Secondary school work load of handling 8 to 9 subjects, compared to only just 4 few subjects in primary school now. In other words, likely that her Sec school life will be tougher and more challenging, than her current primary school situation, because her school workload in Sec, is going to be double that of her primary. As such, it is risky !

Next year (2019) -
when she submit her DSA Application form, during short-listing of DSA applicants for a round of Academic tests / interview, the panel of interviewers will look into her 2018 P5 SA2 and her 2019 P6 results & behavior in school, too.

Out of hundreds of DSA Application forms that were submitted (received) : the panel have certain minimum criteria expected in mind from applicants' (P5/P6) academic results : before they decide who to short-list to take some academic (subject) tests, or who to invite to come down for an interview, after their Sports' coaches have tested the applicants for Sports audition at the field track, and after the coaches had provided the feedback, back to the panel of selection decison-makers, on what they feel or think about the applicants.

Let's hope that she will improve further.

Now, having after just cleared P5 SA1, can't tell yet. Because there are some primary schools that never conduct any CA1, they just jump straight directly into SA1, after P4 SA2. As there is a big jump from P4 to P5 MOE syllabus, it is inevitable that some students will face a drop in SA1. However, it is possible to recover in time for SA2, if one work harder to bounce back.

b) your next question :-
if your friend's daughter did not study Higher Chinese (HCL) in (P5/P6) before, can she still DSA into St Nick (IP) or O level ?

HCL in primary school is Not a pre-requisite, for doing HCL in Secondary school.
No need HCL, for DSA.
But during evaluation time :-
the panel of decision-makers will look into her Normal Chinese (NC) grade, since your friend's daughter only taking NC, didn't take HCL in P5/P6.

Offers are given, based on academic, plus other criteria.
Most important is your friend daughter's character and suitability for whatever progam (O level or IP), they are choosing.

St Nick Secondary 1
Total : form 6 O level classes, 5 IP classes

But, AFTER admission into St Nick (IP) programme , the girls need to do Higher Chinese.
Refer to FAQ #10, under St Nick (IP) one long list of IP questions :-

http://chijstnicholasgirls.moe.edu.sg/s ... -admission

Q10. If my daughter is admitted into the Integrated Programme in CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls’ School, will she be required to offer Higher Chinese?

here is reply, from St Nick Secondary :-

"To enable our students to participate meaningfully in the school’s curriculum and programmes as well as to promote the learning and appreciation of Chinese language and culture, students seeking admission to the Integrated Programme are required to offer Higher Chinese in CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls’ School.

But, AFTER admission into St Nick (O level) programme, the girls can do Normal Chinese, or Opt to do Higher Chinese.

Refer to FAQ #8, under St Nick (OP) one long list of O-level questions :-

http://chijstnicholasgirls.moe.edu.sg/s ... -programme

Q8. If my daughter is admitted into CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls’ School O level, must she offer Higher Chinese?

Reply :-

"
As a SAP school, all our students in the school have to offer either Chinese Language or Higher Chinese language. Students in our ‘O’ Level Programme who meet MOE’s criteria can opt to offer Higher Chinese language. "

(cherrygal, you may direct your friend to come to this web-page, read the answer herself)

c) for St Nick (IP) programme :-
the IP Teachers here teach at very fast pace.

Most of the time a lot, a lot of self-independent study work are expected (involved), as they assume (expect) IP students to know their basic fundamental stuff. As such, a number of IP parents often sent their daughters for external IP tuition, outside. However, bear in mind that if your friend's daughter apply and get in via Sports DSA, her 3x per time Sports training commitment all the way up to 6 long years ahead (because IP is 6 years commitment), will leave her fully exhausted by the time she reach home daily. Hardly any time left, for revision nor external IP tuition. Not to mention the heavy school workload of 8 or 9 subjects coming in, concurrently.

If your friend's daughter is those type that need a proper structured curriculum, to guide her step by step, where people must tell her to do this first, finish then do that piece of homwork (assignment), a lot of hand-holding, then IP is Not suitable. It is safer and wiser for her, to choose O level instead.

Tell your friend to be honest, with herself. Because it is her daughter that is studying, not she (mother) herself.

As a parent, she ought to know what are the strength(s) and weakness(es) of her own daughter, now that she is already P5. Do not impose her own personal ambition, upon her daughter, because it may do more harm than good, to her own child, during the 6 long years ahead, in terms of morale, self-esteem, etc. Best is get her to read "Oh-My-Gosh" comments, earlier (above). What "Oh-My-Gosh" had written, is very important.
Very analytic post, this is the type of quality and objective post that benefit me at least. The pros, the cons and the considerations which make parents think rather than making assumptions. I would skip decorated and miracle life stories with posts like this one.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:54

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri May 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Ganjiongspider wrote:KSP forum is a forum where parents shared their experiences, perspective & 2 cents worth & I had benefit greatly from Day 1 since I joined this forum in 2013. I appreciated ksp shared their horror story on DSA via Sports/Academic to IP school. And only the cream of the crop, talented, all-rounder, no hand-holding your child etc...to be suitable in the vigorous & competitive environment.

I wanted to share my experience, growing-up with my elder dd is by means no smooth sailing. From P1 when my dd entered her primary school, she has not been able to sit still for 30 mins doing a proper homework. She's not focus, & always fidgetting something. Tr even complaint while conducting lessons, my dd would take a scissor to cut paper & scribblings. Till P5, she was still drawing something under her chair. She was still not attentive in class. It made me super worried & ganchiong. Frankly speaking, her results were not the worst, since she's the the focus type, she was able to score over 80-85% in her overall results from P1 to P5. Hence, at the beginning of P5, I was convinced dd was not the "study" type. I think she will survive better in normal O level track.

If some KSP have been following DSA thread, you probably have read my "success" story about my dd in DSA 2017 forum. She had no accolades, with only 1 Chinese Creative Writing Competition which was only a Bronze trophy. And this competition was without my knowledge, when 1 day she just took the trophy back home from school. I was surprised that my dd would take the initiative to sign up for inter-school competitions.. That was the 1st turning point that my dd changed a little bit in her learning journey. Being a ksp, I was the one kept pushing her to study since P1; So, you could see how I felt that day, as a parent.

At P6, everybody was talking about DSA, & going to which Sec schools. Actually it was NJC my dd wanted to go, as she felt a co-ed school suit her better. You know those friendship thingy in a all-girls school. Well, and the boarding program that NJC had every year that intrigued my dd. I said to her:"ok, If you want to go NJC, then your P6 SA1 result must be good enough to DSA.". That was the NJC dream school that pushed her to the limit, unleash her potential- her results shot up to 92%! Though not the best to you, but to me was a real real miracle. That was the 2nd turning point that my dd showed that she could do better if she wanted to. **Lesson that I learnt, no matter how much I pushed was not what she wanted in her life**.

NYGH was not in her list at all, not because she did not like the school. It was because this TOP No. 1 school only for the cream of the crop, only for those all-rounder, only for those GEP. She knew that long ago. She knew where she stand. However, during the DSA heat, since I applied few schools, it didn't harm me to just try apply NYGH. I remembered dd told me to save my $30 online application fees, as she confirmed the school would not even take a 2nd look on her applications. I knew that too. Haha...But at that time, it was pure for fun - just for the sake of trying. I told her:"well, let's see in the eyes of NYGH, where did you actually stand?"

It was probably a blessing in disguise when NJC changed their DSA academic to Sports CCA last year. So, dd was not successful in her DSA to NJC. Then here comes NYGH informing dd of her being shortlisted for interview. Hard to believe, thought it was just the school's kind gesture to call all applicants for the interview. Hence, dd went for the interview with open mind, open heart. I told her just treat it as a learning experience. No harm going, though she's going to compete with those SMBO,GEP, Top 10% peers. Probably she wanted to take this opportunity to prove her worth, she did not made her trip wasted. That was the 3rd turning point - We received our life-time good news, - her DSA application was successful & she got a CO.

4th turning point - Dd was one of the Top PSLE student in her primary school.
5th turning point - The recent CA1, dd was in top 10% at NYGH. She is very enthusiastic & always looking forward to the school. Till now, she still joked that if I did not try to apply NYGH for her, she would never step into her dream school. She confessed that NYGH was her inner dream school that she dared not announced to anybody. Coz, you know what I mean?? Hehe..

The main point of sharing this story was - My dd was never the cream of the crop, never in teacher's list competitions before, never the best before. I had been hand-holding her all the while in Primary school. I admitted coz my dd was not the talented type after all. But guessed everybody's learning pace is different. For it's not the end of the world to make any judgement for our dc.
Thank you ganjiongspider for sharing..I kept nodding my head while reading!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:90

Post by Estéema » Fri May 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Ganjiongspider wrote:KSP forum is a forum where parents shared their experiences, perspective & 2 cents worth & I had benefit greatly from Day 1 since I joined this forum in 2013. I appreciated ksp shared their horror story on DSA via Sports/Academic to IP school. And only the cream of the crop, talented, all-rounder, no hand-holding your child etc...to be suitable in the vigorous & competitive environment.

I wanted to share my experience, growing-up with my elder dd is by means no smooth sailing. From P1 when my dd entered her primary school, she has not been able to sit still for 30 mins doing a proper homework. She's not focus, & always fidgetting something. Tr even complaint while conducting lessons, my dd would take a scissor to cut paper & scribblings. Till P5, she was still drawing something under her chair. She was still not attentive in class. It made me super worried & ganchiong. Frankly speaking, her results were not the worst, since she's the the focus type, she was able to score over 80-85% in her overall results from P1 to P5. Hence, at the beginning of P5, I was convinced dd was not the "study" type. I think she will survive better in normal O level track.

If some KSP have been following DSA thread, you probably have read my "success" story about my dd in DSA 2017 forum. She had no accolades, with only 1 Chinese Creative Writing Competition which was only a Bronze trophy. And this competition was without my knowledge, when 1 day she just took the trophy back home from school. I was surprised that my dd would take the initiative to sign up for inter-school competitions.. That was the 1st turning point that my dd changed a little bit in her learning journey. Being a ksp, I was the one kept pushing her to study since P1; So, you could see how I felt that day, as a parent.

At P6, everybody was talking about DSA, & going to which Sec schools. Actually it was NJC my dd wanted to go, as she felt a co-ed school suit her better. You know those friendship thingy in a all-girls school. Well, and the boarding program that NJC had every year that intrigued my dd. I said to her:"ok, If you want to go NJC, then your P6 SA1 result must be good enough to DSA.". That was the NJC dream school that pushed her to the limit, unleash her potential- her results shot up to 92%! Though not the best to you, but to me was a real real miracle. That was the 2nd turning point that my dd showed that she could do better if she wanted to. **Lesson that I learnt, no matter how much I pushed was not what she wanted in her life**.

NYGH was not in her list at all, not because she did not like the school. It was because this TOP No. 1 school only for the cream of the crop, only for those all-rounder, only for those GEP. She knew that long ago. She knew where she stand. However, during the DSA heat, since I applied few schools, it didn't harm me to just try apply NYGH. I remembered dd told me to save my $30 online application fees, as she confirmed the school would not even take a 2nd look on her applications. I knew that too. Haha...But at that time, it was pure for fun - just for the sake of trying. I told her:"well, let's see in the eyes of NYGH, where did you actually stand?"

It was probably a blessing in disguise when NJC changed their DSA academic to Sports CCA last year. So, dd was not successful in her DSA to NJC. Then here comes NYGH informing dd of her being shortlisted for interview. Hard to believe, thought it was just the school's kind gesture to call all applicants for the interview. Hence, dd went for the interview with open mind, open heart. I told her just treat it as a learning experience. No harm going, though she's going to compete with those SMBO,GEP, Top 10% peers. Probably she wanted to take this opportunity to prove her worth, she did not made her trip wasted. That was the 3rd turning point - We received our life-time good news, - her DSA application was successful & she got a CO.

4th turning point - Dd was one of the Top PSLE student in her primary school.
5th turning point - The recent CA1, dd was in top 10% at NYGH. She is very enthusiastic & always looking forward to the school. Till now, she still joked that if I did not try to apply NYGH for her, she would never step into her dream school. She confessed that NYGH was her inner dream school that she dared not announced to anybody. Coz, you know what I mean?? Hehe..

The main point of sharing this story was - My dd was never the cream of the crop, never in teacher's list competitions before, never the best before. I had been hand-holding her all the while in Primary school. I admitted coz my dd was not the talented type after all. But guessed everybody's learning pace is different. For it's not the end of the world to make any judgement for our dc.

Your experience sharing is INSPIRATIONAL for parents journeying with young children who need guidance.
:goodpost:

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Wow I love this forum. :lovesite: Thanks everyone for your insights.

Phtthp, thanks for your analytical post, have learnt a lot from you these past years.

Zac's Mum, yes I have also thought of recommending CHIJ TP to my friend. She is primarily weaker in the languages.

RestandRelax, my friend's dd is in the last class :gloomy: ... so not the top 20% as you mentioned...her school is a branded neighbourhood school.

Ganjiongspider, love your inspiring post and you are very blessed! Gives hope to many...

Thanks Doodbug and Sweetpea too for your posts!
Last edited by cherrygal on Fri May 25, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:181

Post by pirate » Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm

I would think that a child who spends next to no time on schoolwork outside school and scores overall average of 70 in P6 SA2 may possibly be better able to adapt to the intensity of a top IP school curriculum with CCA than a child with overall average of 90 who already has 2-3 hours of tuition or parental coaching 4-5 days a week. The first child is barely even in 2nd gear and only needs something to spark his or her interest, while the second child is probably already operating at peak capacity with only 4 subjects and faces the possibility of burnout when the load is increased. Just saying... :shrug:

Parents should have an idea whether the first or second better describes their own child.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:181

Post by pirate » Fri May 25, 2018 3:11 pm

RestandRelax wrote:My rough guide to have a shot at IP is that the child should be around top 20% in the school so he should roughly be in the best class and preferably in the top half.
What 'best class'? All mixed ability classes as per MOE's prodding leh. :wink: Can use Edusave Merit Bursary as a rough gauge instead?

But if school has say 5-6 classes, top half of 'best class' would be closer to top 10% in school, no? :siam:

Musings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:23

Post by Musings » Fri May 25, 2018 3:40 pm

pirate wrote:
RestandRelax wrote:My rough guide to have a shot at IP is that the child should be around top 20% in the school so he should roughly be in the best class and preferably in the top half.
What 'best class'? All mixed ability classes as per MOE's prodding leh. :wink: Can use Edusave Merit Bursary as a rough gauge instead?

But if school has say 5-6 classes, top half of 'best class' would be closer to top 10% in school, no? :siam:
Perhaps this will help to gauge the likelihood of scoring above 250/eligibility of IP. In my DS primary school which is a neighborhood school of about 240 students (6 classes), there are about 30 plus students who score above 250 translating to about 12 - 15% of the cohort. Names of these students were announced by school each year during PSLE results. Students are from the top 2 classes. Having tracked the school’s PSLE performance for several years - this % is quite consistent.

RestandRelax
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by RestandRelax » Fri May 25, 2018 3:41 pm

pirate wrote:

I was referring to primary school. I suppose most primary school group the students according to academic performance.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Many primary schools still stream at P4 and there will be top classes, mixed and last classes. They believe this helps teachers to adjust their teaching methods and speed.