Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

DSA 2018

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Re: DSA 2018

Postby hazeline » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

What The wrote:
hazeline wrote:I suddenly realised that I really did very little for my DS' application. The submission was online (200 word cap) so I finished it in 30mins.

On the day of interview + group activity, I only let him bring along his P4 to P6 results + certs/awards relevant to his domain applied. So I just photocopy those items. The email from the school didn't ask for personal statements leh.

It's my first time applying, really didn't know need to include.

Me too. Cos the email interview only says bring p5-6 results and those supporting documents submitted online.
And when DD registered online, DD is asked specifically only to include certificates of the domain she applied for.
Cos I remembered she asking me how about her other achievements? We didn't include it as it is specifically said otherwise.

Ya, me too. My whole DSA application takes like 30mins. Now, I feel that I need a miracle to get any offer.

The email only stated to bring these items:
1. Pen/pencil
2. P5 and P6 results
3. Any documents that can verify your list of achievements in your application form

So I just photocopied the school results and certs/awards. Haha.

Oh well, it's a worthwhile learning journey though. All the best everyone :)

hazeline
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby laughingcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:00 pm

I told him can use the DSA interview as a form of oral practice. Also can teach him to learn how to talk sensibly and maturely.

Yeah I know.....I am bad to force him to DSA into my alma mater. But at the end of all the DSA process, DC asked me anymore coz it was fun. In fact wants more.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 pm

hazeline, all the best to your DC. Now just focus on the prelim and PSLE. Maybe next time, you can do another DSA for your another DC (if you have anymore younger ones).

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby What The » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 pm

hazeline wrote:
What The wrote:
hazeline wrote:I suddenly realised that I really did very little for my DS' application. The submission was online (200 word cap) so I finished it in 30mins.

On the day of interview + group activity, I only let him bring along his P4 to P6 results + certs/awards relevant to his domain applied. So I just photocopy those items. The email from the school didn't ask for personal statements leh.

It's my first time applying, really didn't know need to include.

Me too. Cos the email interview only says bring p5-6 results and those supporting documents submitted online.
And when DD registered online, DD is asked specifically only to include certificates of the domain she applied for.
Cos I remembered she asking me how about her other achievements? We didn't include it as it is specifically said otherwise.

Ya, me too. My whole DSA application takes like 30mins. Now, I feel that I need a miracle to get any offer.

The email only stated to bring these items:
1. Pen/pencil
2. P5 and P6 results
3. Any documents that can verify your list of achievements in your application form

So I just photocopied the school results and certs/awards. Haha.

Oh well, it's a worthwhile learning journey though. All the best everyone :)

:grphug: Sama sama

What The
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zeit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 pm

laughingcat wrote:Zeit, no he did not mentioned that his mum was from that school. Before the interview starts, I already tell him not to. In fact many many times. He cheekily told me he wants to so that he will not be chosen. I nearly :spank:

Aiyah....that DC1 of mine damn one kind. Will also reject even if his Ist choice is not offered. His heart is only in one place. Don't have mama's school's heart.

Zeit....you bad lah. :pokeeye: :laugh:

Haha! My bad...It's a heartfelt question, not implying anything, cos most dc look up to their parents as role models and wish follow their footsteps. After looking at your school mags, trophies, badges and certs from young, I thought maybe kid will be inspired to get into that same school as well :-) So your boy has his own preference, which is also good lah...

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hazeline » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:30 pm

laughingcat wrote:hazeline, all the best to your DC. Now just focus on the prelim and PSLE. Maybe next time, you can do another DSA for your another DC (if you have anymore younger ones).

Thank you! Jiayou everyone too. Oral exams next week.

hazeline
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tree nymph » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:24 am

laughingcat wrote:hazeline, all the best to your DC. Now just focus on the prelim and PSLE. Maybe next time, you can do another DSA for your another DC (if you have anymore younger ones).

Me me, I still have one more doing PSLE in 2020. But hor... he has nothing to offer to the secondary schools... so most likely cannot do any DSA.

We cross one bridge at one time.

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peasants » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:32 am

What The wrote:
tree nymph wrote:I always hear from the teachers in charged and VPs during interviews that they are looking for kids that can fit in the school. Maybe for these schools, they are looking for kids who fit the school's profile?

Guess that is why NYGH have a section on "student's character profile" questionnaire during their interview.

If you read back 2017 thread, you will know that NYGH is unlike others who accept lower results and stash of medals, especially for academic domain. If you know a little on NYGH, and has observe your surroundings during the interview. It is not hard to estimate your DD chances.

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Estéema » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:43 am

tree nymph wrote:

Me me, I still have one more doing PSLE in 2020. But hor... he has nothing to offer to the secondary schools... so most likely cannot do any DSA.

We cross one bridge at one time.

2 years possible to build sth. Check what yr DC current sch offers & what yr child is keen to do & starting yr child get involved in it - can be participating in a Scratch Coding course & then competition if competent; do holiday chess with the Spore Federation of Chess & join in yearly inter-sch competitions; interests in Math Olympaids?

Usually, sec sch requires kids who DSA to present P4 & up to P6 SA1 academic results & other areas of achievements. So might still hv time to catch up.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:51 am

peasants wrote:
What The wrote:
tree nymph wrote:I always hear from the teachers in charged and VPs during interviews that they are looking for kids that can fit in the school. Maybe for these schools, they are looking for kids who fit the school's profile?

Guess that is why NYGH have a section on "student's character profile" questionnaire during their interview.

If you read back 2017 thread, you will know that NYGH is unlike others who accept lower results and stash of medals, especially for academic domain. If you know a little on NYGH, and has observe your surroundings during the interview. It is not hard to estimate your DD chances.

Not sure if I understood what you meant?

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres