DSA 2017

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

DSA 2017

Postby coast » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:17 am

Creating this thread upon the request of some parents.

For parents with kids taking PSLE in 2017 and are considering DSA, this may be a good time for you to post your queries here while it is still fresh in the memory for those involved in DSA 2016. All the best!

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

1 people like this post

Re: DSA 2017

Postby Busybugz73 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks for starting this thread, Coast. Which school is your DS or DD at now and which school(s) are you looking at for the DSA next year?

Busybugz73
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:16 am

I posted this in 2016 thread. Sharing this here too. My top takeaway based on my twice dsa experience :wink:

sleepy wrote:Time is very precious to P6ers. Going for GAT,written test, camp, interviews - $ aside, all these are very time consuming and took time away from prelim and psle preparation.

Personally I feel that the maximum number of schools to apply for is 2, provided the child is relatively neutral between the 2 schools. Even if there is a slight preference over 1, it is fine too because it is only natural to have some slight preference.

However, if there is a clear and distinctive choice, one and only ideal school, then child should just apply to that one school.

No point wasting a P6er's precious time especially if one has no intention of choosing a 2nd or 3rd or even 4th choice school, before psle.

Sometimes I feel that parents are the ones who feel insecured (I can totally relate to that) and become over zealous during dsa application process. Parents do play the biggest role in deciding how many schools to dsa to and which to apply.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Postby Fabbymum » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:25 am

Hi there,

I would like to ask is it really necessary for kid to attend DSA preparation (like interview, etc) camps before any attempt for DSA application is made?

Such courses are time consuming and can be expensive.

Thanks.

Fabbymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Oh My Gosh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Fabbymum wrote:Hi there,

I would like to ask is it really necessary for kid to attend DSA preparation (like interview, etc) camps before any attempt for DSA application is made?

Such courses are time consuming and can be expensive.

Thanks.

IMHO, while it helps that such courses make the kids more self confident, it is not a fool proof course. I heard of GEP kids with lots of awards, speaks well but was rejected by NYGH and RGS. The point is the selection criteria of respective schools are not very transparent, ,and no one knows for sure what "X-factor" they are looking for. Most importantly, it depends on the competition you are up against - the stronger the cohort, the tougher the DSA process and selection criteria.

Oh My Gosh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby Fabbymum » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Oh My Gosh :)

My ds is currently in GEP program and we are looking at RI or Catholic High for DSA next year. Do you know where and how we could get more information about the requirements? Reason for the schools is just proximity to our home. Never been involved in DSA before as this is our first child.

Thanks in advance for any advice at all.

Fabbymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Oh My Gosh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 am

Fabbymum wrote:Thanks Oh My Gosh :)

My ds is currently in GEP program and we are looking at RI or Catholic High for DSA next year. Do you know where and how we could get more information about the requirements? Reason for the schools is just proximity to our home. Never been involved in DSA before as this is our first child.

Fabbymum, I only did one DSA for DS a couple of months ago... haha, so cant be "deemed" to be experienced but will help anything within my knowledge. The best place to know all information of a school is via its Open House. Most Sec schools will have their annual Open House around May (after their SA1). Do go and take a look and see if your DS likes the culture. Good thing about your DS being in GEP, he probably does not need to do the GAT paper (usually in June/ July) as long as he meets the minimum marks requirements.

Oh My Gosh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yngmng » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 am

Fabbymum wrote:Thanks Oh My Gosh :)

Before i applied for my dd dsa this year, i read the dsa 2015 thread. You could do that. From the dsa 2016 thread, you will know who are the parents whose child successfully dsa to RI or Catholic High. You can pm them on their child profile. They may share with you. Besides the 2 schools, have you considered Dunman High. If you stay around Bishan, circle line is quite convenient.

Like what Oh My Gosh mentioned, attending open house is very useful. All the best to you and your ds!

Yngmng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fabbymum » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks so much Oh My Gosh and YngMng! Yes, I will definitely look into that soon :)

Fabbymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ImMeeMee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 am

Where to find information on DSA for Singapore Sports School.

TIA for pointing me a direction.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection