DSA 2017

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:113

Re: DSA 2017

Post by lee_yl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 am

From the RGS website, my understanding of DSA academic is to just look at one subject the student is good at right? Not overall 4 subjects, I think. :? :?

From RGS website for DSA Academic:
DSA ACADEMIC

Applicant must be able to demonstrate interest and talent beyond the abilities of students in the same age group and/or have a history of consistent high academic achievements in one of the following:
English Language
Chinese Language
Malay Language
Tamil Language
Mathematics
Science

ajtsl26
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ajtsl26 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:49 pm

I am thinking of sending my child to DSA preparation course. Any recommendation which centre I should enroll my child in?

shuting28
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by shuting28 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know if ACSI accepts dsa via performing arts under musical instruments? If so, which instrument?

Many TIAs!

LokeTan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by LokeTan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi all parents,
I am an art teacher with over 10 years experience teaching art. I'm providing 1-to-1 or small group Art class. Please email me at loketan75@gmail.com for more information. Thank you!
Last edited by LokeTan on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:32

Post by mommyNg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Which school accepts DSA art (except SOTA)?
LokeTan wrote:Hi all parents,
I am an art teacher with a prestigious and well established art school. I'm providing 1-to-1 or small group portfolio preparation for DSA Art. Please email me at loketan75@gmail.com for more information. Thank you!

Morinosuke
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Morinosuke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:04 am

Record number of pupils applied for direct entry to Sec 1 last year
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/e ... y-to-sec-1

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:181

Post by floppy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 am

mommyNg wrote:Which school accepts DSA art (except SOTA)?
Those schools that offer Art Elective Programme may be worth a try:

Victoria School
National Junior College
Hwa Chong Institution
Nanyang Girls High School
Nanyang Junior College
CHIJ Secondary (Toa Payoh)
Bukit Panjang Government High School
Zhonghua Secondary School

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:32

Post by mommyNg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:07 am

Well, thanks floppy for responding. I thought since LokeTan is offering DSA art preparation class, he/she would have a good idea of which schools offer DSA art (except SOTA), unless only SOTA accepts DSA art. So I was hoping that he/she would respond to that question... of course I could have emailed him/her directly too.
floppy wrote:
mommyNg wrote:Which school accepts DSA art (except SOTA)?
Those schools that offer Art Elective Programme may be worth a try:

Victoria School
National Junior College
Hwa Chong Institution
Nanyang Girls High School
Nanyang Junior College
CHIJ Secondary (Toa Payoh)
Bukit Panjang Government High School
Zhonghua Secondary School

jenao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jenao » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm

lee_yl wrote:From the RGS website, my understanding of DSA academic is to just look at one subject the student is good at right? Not overall 4 subjects, I think. :? :?

From RGS website for DSA Academic:
DSA ACADEMIC

Applicant must be able to demonstrate interest and talent beyond the abilities of students in the same age group and/or have a history of consistent high academic achievements in one of the following:
English Language
Chinese Language
Malay Language
Tamil Language
Mathematics
Science
This requirement for one subject is fairly new, maybe just started last year, if I am not wrong? There used to be GEP domain, then it was removed maybe 2 yrs back, then General acad domain and now they are replacing it with subject domain. The last 2 years the dsa has changed quite a bit. Not very sure but that's what i gathered since I am first time PSLE mom.

I think for last year, a few schools like RGS moved away from general acad domain to subject domain, inline with the new direction? The way I understand it, the key words from these are "BEYOND the abilities of students in the same age group" which mean getting good marks are not enough! You need to be very TALENTED in that domain!!! Like if you are getting above 90s for maths is not good enough for maths domain, you need to be maths olympiad platinum! That's how I read it. Really very tough for our kids! How many are platinum or gold medal for any subjects? When I read it, my first thought was, no chance at all! Might as well just concentrate on doing well for PSLE, dont need to waste time and effort.

jenao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jenao » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm

As i am reading the older DSA thread, I think the subject domain has always been there. The changes in the last 2 yrs were the removal of GEP domain and the General acad domain, I think.