HMT in SAP schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

HMT in SAP schools

Postby DTx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:58 am

I went to Nan Chiau open house on Sat and was told only those who take HMT and got a pass at least and those who have not done HMT and have A* for MT will automatically take HMT. For the rest who is selected for NCH, HMT is opt in. You need to fill a form and will need to take a test on 27 Dec morning. I also brought my DD to CCSH, it is by default HMT unless cannot cope, then drop in Sec 3. Both are SAP schools with different views on HMT. Of course, my DD will not want to go for test and it is right after Xmas. Naturally, she opt for CCSH as her first choice.

My elder daughter did her PSLE last year and is currently in IP and she was automatically (or by default) needs to take HMT. Nonetheless, she got A* for MT without doing HMT.

Now, I am confused with the info provided by Nan Chiau. Can anyone verify if the info given by Nan Chiau is correct?

DTx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: HMT in SAP schools

Postby ying2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 am

Last time IP school usual practice is default HMT. Maybe since last year MOE gave guideline the top 10% of PSLE or the 11% to 30% of PSLE and MT got A* are eligible to take HMT.
However, school still can manage differently, so some schools give a chance to those not eligible by a test. Check the Eligible letter that you got, if eligible to take HMT, then no need to take the test.

ying2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby DTx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:22 am

My understanding is that SAP, students are to take HMT unless opt out.
1. Min is MT must be A and above for PSLE.
2. Not necessary to take HMT in Pri school.

but now it is different from the case of NCH where as CCHS is still my current understanding.
I am confused between the difference between SAP and express stream if this is the case of NCH.

Anyone can share better insights?

DTx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:15 pm

What does CCHS stands for?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DTx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Chong Cheng High School (main) or should it be CCHMS?

DTx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm

DTx wrote:Chong Cheng High School (main) or should it be CCHMS?

OIC. It shld be CCHMS. 4 years ago, we were also contemplating between Nan Chiau and CCHMS for my DS. In the end, we all decided on CCHMS becos we felt more comfortable with what we saw in CCHMS.

Indeed you are confused with the terms SAP and Express. They don't mean the same thing.

SAP schools have Chinese cultural background(sorry I don't know how to explain). So for O level students, they will require students to take HMT from Sec 1 onwards. Whereas, Express means it's 4 years education leading up to O levels. Normal stream will be 5 years prog.

I think whether taking HMT by default will depend on the school.

However, I am aware that now even some IP schools (non SAP) also requires HMT in Y1 by default.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grow and glow » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Dt
If I were you, I'll also choose CCHMS.

CCHMS policy spells one thing. That is, the school is nurturing enough to give more students the chance to do HMT.

Nan Chiau policy of having a test spells another. That is, if you have no strong background, then don't do HMT because the school doesn't want to do more work in teaching you.

Nan chiau is not the only one SAP school to create barriers for doing HMT.
It's really a shame that these so called SAP schools are trying to do less work. Some neighbourhood schools are willing to give HMT too.

CCHMS really deserves our respect. They are more nurturing.

grow and glow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DTx » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 am

It is sad to know this but seems so where most IP and SAP schools are trying to promote bilingualism, Nan Chiau High is focusing on results and better students.

Thanks.

grow and glow wrote:Hi Dt

CCHMS policy spells one thing. That is, the school is nurturing enough to give more students the chance to do HMT.

Nan Chiau policy of having a test spells another. That is, if you have no strong background, then don't do HMT because the school doesn't want to do more work in teaching you.

It's really a shame that these so called SAP schools are trying to do less work. Some neighbourhood schools are willing to give HMT too.

DTx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby DTx » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 am

It is sad to know this but seems so where most IP and SAP schools are trying to promote bilingualism, Nan Chiau High is focusing on results and better students.

Thanks.

DTx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gnihs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:14 pm

DTx wrote:It is sad to know this but seems so where most IP and SAP schools are trying to promote bilingualism, Nan Chiau High is focusing on results and better students.

Thanks.

The following SAP schools (O Level stream), higher chinese is not compulsory for lower sec. It's depend on students' interest and results
- nan chiau, anglician high, maris stella, chij st nick.

Wonder what about nan hua?

gnihs
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection