drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Postby macaron12 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi all, my child is "encouraged" by primary school Chinese teacher to drop HCL after SA1 in P5 but i insisted to let her try SA2.
Not sure what's the implication if my child were to drop HCL in P6 but opt for SAP sec school? Please advise. Thanks.

my child's P5 HCL result is 55%. standard Chinese is 76%.
TIA

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Postby The Chemistry Clinic » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Implications that I know of:
1) Your child will not have 'bonus points' to add to t-score if he were to opt for SAP Sec Sch.
- So if your child scores 250 with no HCL, he is considered 250 regardless of application to SAP/non-SAP school
- If your child scores 250, is amongst the top 30% of the cohort and obtained Merit for HCL, he will be considered as 250+2 if he applies to SAP school while still 250 if he applies to non-SAP schools

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/secon ... ity-letter
- Scroll down to Bonus Points for Admission to Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Schools

2) If your child is admitted to a SAP school, he will have to take HCL
- that is, a student need not take HCL in Pri Sch to be admitted to a SAP school, but once admitted, he is expected to take HCL.
- So you might want to consider whether doing HCL at Pri school will better prepare your child to take HCL in a SAP school

On a side note, both my children didn't take HCL in Pri Sch although they qualified. My older child went to a SAP school and was able to cope with HCL well as the foundation was strong. My younger child went to a non-SAP school and opted to do HCL. The younger child is struggling with HCL as foundation was not as strong. But being in a non-SAP school, my younger child has the option of dropping HCL.

Hope the above information helps.

The Chemistry Clinic
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby zbear » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm

The Chemistry Clinic wrote:Implications that I know of:
1) Your child will not have 'bonus points' to add to t-score if he were to opt for SAP Sec Sch.
- So if your child scores 250 with no HCL, he is considered 250 regardless of application to SAP/non-SAP school
- If your child scores 250, is amongst the top 30% of the cohort and obtained Merit for HCL, he will be considered as 250+2 if he applies to SAP school while still 250 if he applies to non-SAP schools

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/secon ... ity-letter
- Scroll down to Bonus Points for Admission to Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Schools

2) If your child is admitted to a SAP school, he will have to take HCL
- that is, a student need not take HCL in Pri Sch to be admitted to a SAP school, but once admitted, he is expected to take HCL.
- So you might want to consider whether doing HCL at Pri school will better prepare your child to take HCL in a SAP school

On a side note, both my children didn't take HCL in Pri Sch although they qualified. My older child went to a SAP school and was able to cope with HCL well as the foundation was strong. My younger child went to a non-SAP school and opted to do HCL. The younger child is struggling with HCL as foundation was not as strong. But being in a non-SAP school, my younger child has the option of dropping HCL.

Hope the above information helps.

Adding to what is said above, taking HCL in Sec School, once you pass O level HCL at Sec 4, you will not need to take Chinese in JC.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grow and glow » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi Macaron12,
I would advise against your child to drop HCL. Primary school teachers like to tell students to drop HCL so that they have an easier time to teach. They are scared of not enough distinctions in psle. SAP secondary schools may not let students without Psle Hcl to take the subject. If you read the threads of SAP schools, many schools wil set up barriers.

grow and glow
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Dropping HCL will also mean more time to prepare for other subjects. If by dropping HCL can get more than 3 points higher in overall t-score, then why not? Increase of 3 points in overall t-score makes the child eligible to more schools compared to 3 points bonus from HCL which only can be used in SAP schools.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:30 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Dropping HCL will also mean more time to prepare for other subjects. If by dropping HCL can get more than 3 points higher in overall t-score, then why not? Increase of 3 points in overall t-score makes the child eligible to more schools compared to 3 points bonus from HCL which only can be used in SAP schools.

My understanding of taking HCLin Primary School is 2 fold - meaning u also learn for Normal Chinese. You don't need to take extra lessons for HCL. So I don't really see how you can save time if you drop HCL becos you still need to learn NC. Perhaps the level of difficulty in HCL is higher, nevertheless it will make NC much easier to cope.

Furthermore, many IP and SAP schools make HCL a compulsory subject in Y1/Sec 1.

Why not just continue until next year SA1 n then see how. Usually the student won't do well in Primary 5 becos it's a new subject n still struggling to cope with it.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:18 pm

From what I understand, the answering techniques for hcl compre and cl compre is different. The focus on compo and textbook vocab are different too. Hcl class need to do both hcl and cl past papers drills for sch homework which is twice the workload compared to cl class. So unless the kid can cope, it may be worth to consider focus on cl.

We had initially wanted to continue hcl in p6 term 1 too, but teacher told us that if subsequently we drop hcl, we may be without a class as the best cl class already full. Then may be stuck with hcl class whose focus is not on cl answering techniques and sections of cl papers.

So best to consult and discuss with teacher.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SpartanMum » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:35 am

zbear wrote:Furthermore, many IP and SAP schools make HCL a compulsory subject in Y1/Sec 1.

Yes it's not just SAP schools, Higher Mother Tongue was compulsory for IP students in my DS1's school.Having said that, many students had not taken HMT in primary school and are faring quite ok.

While most of the time, students are asked to drop HMT in primary school to enable them to focus on the 4 core subjects, there is sometimes school-related logistics issues too. Good to explore and consider carefully.

SpartanMum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby grow and glow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Because thread starter has his mind set on sending his child to SAP school, continuing with HCL all the way is the wise thing to do. SAP secondary schools will set up barriers for students without HCL in Psle. You may see the other school threads to know how schools are trying ways and means to discourage HCL. Very shameless tactics sometimes.

Don't trust the teachers entirely. They have vested interest. The reasons that they give parents are very often excuses especially if they r HOD. Less students means less work. And easier to protect % distinction.

grow and glow
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lego » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:35 pm

My understanding is that at end of P5, school is the one who decides whether a child take HCL in P6 or not, not the parents. :scratchhead:
I think the thread starter is just asking for implications of choosing SAP sec school if did not take HCL at PSLE?

lego
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection