drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Post Reply
Joyymum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Oct 19,
Total Likes:13

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by Joyymum » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Am in a dilemma. Ds overall P4 Chinese SA2 was 99%. Was chosen to do HMT in P5. He is in the top class too. After reading the above advices, am wondering should I drop HMT to concentrate on the 4 subjects rather than struggling with HMT next year and like what Jedamum mentioned if by then, need to transfer out of HMT class, the best chinese class will be full.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7878
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:210

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by floppy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Joyymum wrote:Am in a dilemma. Ds overall P4 Chinese SA2 was 99%. Was chosen to do HMT in P5. He is in the top class too. After reading the above advices, am wondering should I drop HMT to concentrate on the 4 subjects rather than struggling with HMT next year and like what Jedamum mentioned if by then, need to transfer out of HMT class, the best chinese class will be full.
Are you by nature, a pessimist?

You are worrying about something that has yet to happen, about a subject that has yet to take place. For all you know, your kid could be the next Chinese scholar.

Joyymum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Oct 19,
Total Likes:13

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by Joyymum » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Definitely not as optimistic and mothers tend to think more than the Father does.

gnihs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 11,
Total Likes:1

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by gnihs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 pm

My friend's child past experience:
This girl take HMT in pri 5, but choose to drop during P6 bec she is weak in maths (Grade C).
Her mother wanted her to invest more time on Maths as HMT take up extra time (extra stay back, extra lesson plus homework).
And her psle score was great(250+). Now she is studying at chij st nick, taking HMT again .
All turn well. It's really up to individuals choice . It's impossible to predict what will be the outcome.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 5157
Joined: Mon Sep 16,
Total Likes:67

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by zbear » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:08 pm

floppy wrote:
Joyymum wrote:Am in a dilemma. Ds overall P4 Chinese SA2 was 99%. Was chosen to do HMT in P5. He is in the top class too. After reading the above advices, am wondering should I drop HMT to concentrate on the 4 subjects rather than struggling with HMT next year and like what Jedamum mentioned if by then, need to transfer out of HMT class, the best chinese class will be full.
Are you by nature, a pessimist?

You are worrying about something that has yet to happen, about a subject that has yet to take place. For all you know, your kid could be the next Chinese scholar.

I agree with floppy. Your DS hasn't even tried HMT n you are worrying over something that may not happen.

I believe in giving the child a chance to try n don't close doors to opportunities to have a head start.


Joyymum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Oct 19,
Total Likes:13

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by Joyymum » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks gnihs for sharing your Friend's story.

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 09,

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by macaron12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 am

The Chemistry Clinic wrote:Implications that I know of:
1) Your child will not have 'bonus points' to add to t-score if he were to opt for SAP Sec Sch.
- So if your child scores 250 with no HCL, he is considered 250 regardless of application to SAP/non-SAP school
- If your child scores 250, is amongst the top 30% of the cohort and obtained Merit for HCL, he will be considered as 250+2 if he applies to SAP school while still 250 if he applies to non-SAP schools

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/secon ... ity-letter
- Scroll down to Bonus Points for Admission to Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Schools

2) If your child is admitted to a SAP school, he will have to take HCL
- that is, a student need not take HCL in Pri Sch to be admitted to a SAP school, but once admitted, he is expected to take HCL.
- So you might want to consider whether doing HCL at Pri school will better prepare your child to take HCL in a SAP school

On a side note, both my children didn't take HCL in Pri Sch although they qualified. My older child went to a SAP school and was able to cope with HCL well as the foundation was strong. My younger child went to a non-SAP school and opted to do HCL. The younger child is struggling with HCL as foundation was not as strong. But being in a non-SAP school, my younger child has the option of dropping HCL.

Hope the above information helps.
Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the 'bonus points', but my child's overall results is just so so, by dropping HCL hopefully she will be able to focus more on the 4 core subjects, although i very much wanted her to do HCL..

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 09,

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by macaron12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:28 am

zbear wrote:
The Chemistry Clinic wrote:Implications that I know of:
1) Your child will not have 'bonus points' to add to t-score if he were to opt for SAP Sec Sch.
- So if your child scores 250 with no HCL, he is considered 250 regardless of application to SAP/non-SAP school
- If your child scores 250, is amongst the top 30% of the cohort and obtained Merit for HCL, he will be considered as 250+2 if he applies to SAP school while still 250 if he applies to non-SAP schools

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/secon ... ity-letter
- Scroll down to Bonus Points for Admission to Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Schools

2) If your child is admitted to a SAP school, he will have to take HCL
- that is, a student need not take HCL in Pri Sch to be admitted to a SAP school, but once admitted, he is expected to take HCL.
- So you might want to consider whether doing HCL at Pri school will better prepare your child to take HCL in a SAP school

On a side note, both my children didn't take HCL in Pri Sch although they qualified. My older child went to a SAP school and was able to cope with HCL well as the foundation was strong. My younger child went to a non-SAP school and opted to do HCL. The younger child is struggling with HCL as foundation was not as strong. But being in a non-SAP school, my younger child has the option of dropping HCL.

Hope the above information helps.

Adding to what is said above, taking HCL in Sec School, once you pass O level HCL at Sec 4, you will not need to take Chinese in JC.
Thanks for the info. This applies to all no matter with or without HCL in primary school, right?

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 09,

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by macaron12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:30 am

grow and glow wrote:Hi Macaron12,
I would advise against your child to drop HCL. Primary school teachers like to tell students to drop HCL so that they have an easier time to teach. They are scared of not enough distinctions in psle. SAP secondary schools may not let students without Psle Hcl to take the subject. If you read the threads of SAP schools, many schools wil set up barriers.
Thanks for the info. will read out SAP threads.. when u said "SAP secondary schools may not let students without Psle Hcl to take the subject", u mean HCL subject? is it not compulsory? TIA

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 09,

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by macaron12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:36 am

zbear wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:Dropping HCL will also mean more time to prepare for other subjects. If by dropping HCL can get more than 3 points higher in overall t-score, then why not? Increase of 3 points in overall t-score makes the child eligible to more schools compared to 3 points bonus from HCL which only can be used in SAP schools.

My understanding of taking HCLin Primary School is 2 fold - meaning u also learn for Normal Chinese. You don't need to take extra lessons for HCL. So I don't really see how you can save time if you drop HCL becos you still need to learn NC. Perhaps the level of difficulty in HCL is higher, nevertheless it will make NC much easier to cope.

Furthermore, many IP and SAP schools make HCL a compulsory subject in Y1/Sec 1.

Why not just continue until next year SA1 n then see how. Usually the student won't do well in Primary 5 becos it's a new subject n still struggling to cope with it.
Thanks ngl2010 & zbear. My child's overall results is just average. Even if she takes HCL in PSLE, i don't think she will get 3 points :-((
Besides, i was told by her chinese teacher that once 'opt-in' in p6 for HCL, must take HCL in PSLE, can't opt out anymore....

Post Reply