drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by macaron12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:42 am

jedamum wrote:From what I understand, the answering techniques for hcl compre and cl compre is different. The focus on compo and textbook vocab are different too. Hcl class need to do both hcl and cl past papers drills for sch homework which is twice the workload compared to cl class. So unless the kid can cope, it may be worth to consider focus on cl.

We had initially wanted to continue hcl in p6 term 1 too, but teacher told us that if subsequently we drop hcl, we may be without a class as the best cl class already full. Then may be stuck with hcl class whose focus is not on cl answering techniques and sections of cl papers.

So best to consult and discuss with teacher.
Thanks for the info. has discussed with the Chinese teacher, she emphasised the diff between 2 papers and mentioned most parents think doing HCL will benefit CL (this is what i thought)
Well i think taking HCL will definitely benefit CL though may not be in exam/PSLE :)

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: drop HCL in primary school but choose SAP sec

Post by macaron12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:47 am

grow and glow wrote:Because thread starter has his mind set on sending his child to SAP school, continuing with HCL all the way is the wise thing to do. SAP secondary schools will set up barriers for students without HCL in Psle. You may see the other school threads to know how schools are trying ways and means to discourage HCL. Very shameless tactics sometimes.

Don't trust the teachers entirely. They have vested interest. The reasons that they give parents are very often excuses especially if they r HOD. Less students means less work. And easier to protect % distinction.
:goodpost:
agree with "Don't trust the teachers entirely..." :-)