All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Post Reply
hazeline
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 15,
Total Likes:4

Re: All About T-Score

Post by hazeline » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... om-parents

New AL system, for information sharing

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2829
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:71

Re: All About T-Score

Post by zac's mum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:49 pm

hazeline wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 pm
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... om-parents

New AL system, for information sharing
Thanks. Official MOE press release here (as shared by Coast in the 2021 PSLE thread:

https://www.moe.gov.sg/news/press-relea ... ing-points

Maybe mods can create a new thread for “All about AL score”?

Veyron
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 30,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About T-Score

Post by Veyron » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:23 am

I suppose when MOE test out the new AL scoring system on P5 students next year, they will also do some calibration on the standards and difficulties level of the papers to ensure they wont end up in a situation where there are too many or too few students end up in the AL4 group.

Which mean we are likely to see more MOE set questions in SA papers across all primary schools next year. Perhaps they have already started in in 2018 or 2019.

I supposed the outcome of 2020 trial could possibly influence the difficulties level of PSLE paper in 2021.

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:10

All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by coast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:48 am

Hi all,

Creating a new topic at the request of some parents.

Here's the latest MOE press release on the new PSLE AL Scoring System (effective 2021, for current P4 cohort)

https://www.moe.gov.sg/news/press-relea ... ing-points

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:10

Re: All About T-Score

Post by coast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:52 am

zac's mum wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:49 pm
Thanks. Official MOE press release here (as shared by Coast in the 2021 PSLE thread:

https://www.moe.gov.sg/news/press-relea ... ing-points

Maybe mods can create a new thread for “All about AL score”?
New thread for PSLE AL Scoring System created.

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 69&t=93831

Maybe mods can shift relevant discussions there?


coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:10

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by coast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Quite an informative article with a useful pdf "Everything you need to know about the new PSLE changes" and some FAQs about the changes.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... y-concerns

There is also a summary of what has been announced yesterday.

A There are four main components to the new announcement.

First, starting from next year and in all subsequent years, pupils entering Primary 5 will be graded on Achievement Levels (ALs) 1 to 8 instead of the current grades A* to E.

Doing this from Primary 5 will allow pupils and parents to become more familiar with the new scoring system for the PSLE, said MOE.

Second, MOE said it will release the cut-off entry scores for each school using ALs, instead of the current T-score, by the middle of 2021.

Usually the entry scores are derived from the previous year's posting exercise and given to students between October and November.

Third, those who take Foundation level subjects will know how their scores are graded in the new system. They will receive grades of AL A to C, which are tagged to AL 6 to 8 scores for Standard level subjects.

Lastly, MOE has announced the eligibility criteria for Higher Mother Tongue. Pupils will need an overall PSLE score of eight or better to take it up in secondary school.

They can also take up Higher Mother Tongue if they have an overall PSLE score of nine to 14 and attain AL 1 or AL 2 in their mother tongue or distinction or merit in their Higher Mother Tongue at the PSLE.

For pupils who do not meet the above criteria, secondary schools will have the flexibility to offer Higher Mother Tongue to students assessed to have high ability and interest in mother tongue languages. This is similar to the existing practice.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6849
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:161

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Let the games begin.

Veyron
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 30,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Veyron » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Without the T score mechanism, I reckon MOE will have to calibrate their PSLE exam paper standards carefully to ensure there will not be too many or too few students with AL4 scores.

Suppose around 30% of the cohort score AL4 for PSLE because papers were set too easy, then many of the top secondary schools will have to conduct balloting and many of the top students will end up having to go for their 2nd or 3rd choice. This outcome will definite upset many parents.

Suppose a student who scored AL4 choose school X as 1st choice and he or she didn't get selected due to balloting.
Will the student get priority over a AL5 student to be accept to his or her 2nd choice school with AL5 cut off point?

Davischew
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Davischew » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm
Without the T score mechanism, I reckon MOE will have to calibrate their PSLE exam paper standards carefully to ensure there will not be too many or too few students with AL4 scores.

Suppose around 30% of the cohort score AL4 for PSLE because papers were set too easy, then many of the top secondary schools will have to conduct balloting and many of the top students will end up having to go for their 2nd or 3rd choice. This outcome will definite upset many parents.

Suppose a student who scored AL4 choose school X as 1st choice and he or she didn't get selected due to balloting.
Will the student get priority over a AL5 student to be accept to his or her 2nd choice school with AL5 cut off point?
AL score will come 1st, only if tied then choice of schools order.
So yes, AL4 will go in then AL5

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18330
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:165

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by phtthp » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Davischew wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:52 pm
Veyron wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm
Without the T score mechanism, I reckon MOE will have to calibrate their PSLE exam paper standards carefully to ensure there will not be too many or too few students with AL4 scores.

Suppose around 30% of the cohort score AL4 for PSLE because papers were set too easy, then many of the top secondary schools will have to conduct balloting and many of the top students will end up having to go for their 2nd or 3rd choice. This outcome will definite upset many parents.

Suppose a student who scored AL4 choose school X as 1st choice and he or she didn't get selected due to balloting.
Will the student get priority over a AL5 student to be accept to his or her 2nd choice school with AL5 cut off point?
AL score will come 1st, only if tied then choice of schools order.

So yes, AL4 will go in then AL5
Under what situation, will computerised balloting arise ?

Does it mean that, if students' AL score equal to a school's Cut-off-point say, at AL5, suppose there are 60 students all with AL5 chose this school, means the entire 60 students all will enter computerised balloting ?

Post Reply