All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Post Reply
floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7421
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:196

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by floppy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm

phtthp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Winmum wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm

How about trend for past years cop for nanyang girls non affiliated student?
...
What was the common or frequently encountered COP ?
265,
except for one unusual, exceptional year where it fell low to 258, went below 260
...
Not sure how you conclude that the common / frequently encountered COP is 265. In fact, NYGH COP seldom hits 265. These are the COP for the last 16 years:

2019 - 258
2018 - 264
2017 - 264
2016 - 264
2015 – 262
2014 – 261
2013 – 265
2012 – 262
2011 – 262
2010 – 262
2009 – 263
2008 – 263
2007 – 265
2006 – 262
2005 – 262
2004 – 261

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1687
Joined: Fri Dec 05,
Total Likes:35

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by mommyNg » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm

floppy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Not sure how you conclude that the common / frequently encountered COP is 265. In fact, NYGH COP seldom hits 265. These are the COP for the last 16 years:

2019 - 258
2018 - 264
2017 - 264
2016 - 264
2015 – 262
2014 – 261
2013 – 265
2012 – 262
2011 – 262
2010 – 262
2009 – 263
2008 – 263
2007 – 265
2006 – 262
2005 – 262
2004 – 261
Nice floppy! Anyway, COP for SAP schools includes HCL bonus based on the current psle t score system. So a COP of 260 means the child could have gotten a t score of 257 with distinction in HCL (+3), or 258 with merit in HCL (+2), or 259 with a pass in HCL (+1), 260 with no HCL/pass.

For the new AL system, no more bonus point for HCL to enter SAP schools. Just priority for those who did better in HCL. So it will be a more transparent system in terms of COP.

Winmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 08,

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Winmum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Great information. Just study hard and aim for best

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7421
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:196

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by floppy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 pm

mommyNg wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm
[

Nice floppy! Anyway, COP for SAP schools includes HCL bonus based on the current psle t score system. So a COP of 260 means the child could have gotten a t score of 257 with distinction in HCL (+3), or 258 with merit in HCL (+2), or 259 with a pass in HCL (+1), 260 with no HCL/pass.

For the new AL system, no more bonus point for HCL to enter SAP schools. Just priority for those who did better in HCL. So it will be a more transparent system in terms of COP.
I think using HCL as a tie-breaker may end up being a huge game changer, especially for NYGH. For one, it’s going to upend a lot of the usual strategy.

In the t-score era, HCL bonus points only help those at the fringes. If COP is 260, and you score 261, you are safely through, regardless whether you took HCL.

However, in the AL era, assuming COP is AL6, the number of students having this score will be a much bigger group. If translated into t-score, we are probably looking at scores between 255 to 265. Therefore, a AL4 (t-score 255) with HCL will edge out a AL4 (t-score 265) without HCL in this new reality.

Also, NYGH COP AL6 is effectively a competition between non-HCL students (a “smaller” subset of AL6 students). If you compare that against RGS COP AL6 - which is the entire AL6 group, it figures that if you do not have HCL, your odds with RGS is better and “fairer”.

Vevey
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Jul 24,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Vevey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

To add onto the discussion, there is a 20% reserved slots for non-affiliated students from this year.
NYGH has affliation but not RGS.


mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1687
Joined: Fri Dec 05,
Total Likes:35

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by mommyNg » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Vevey wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm
To add onto the discussion, there is a 20% reserved slots for non-affiliated students from this year.
NYGH has affliation but not RGS.
And MOE hasn’t announce how affiliation would look like in the new AL system.....

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1687
Joined: Fri Dec 05,
Total Likes:35

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by mommyNg » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm

floppy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 pm

I think using HCL as a tie-breaker may end up being a huge game changer, especially for NYGH. For one, it’s going to upend a lot of the usual strategy.

In the t-score era, HCL bonus points only help those at the fringes. If COP is 260, and you score 261, you are safely through, regardless whether you took HCL.

However, in the AL era, assuming COP is AL6, the number of students having this score will be a much bigger group. If translated into t-score, we are probably looking at scores between 255 to 265. Therefore, a AL4 (t-score 255) with HCL will edge out a AL4 (t-score 265) without HCL in this new reality.

Also, NYGH COP AL6 is effectively a competition between non-HCL students (a “smaller” subset of AL6 students). If you compare that against RGS COP AL6 - which is the entire AL6 group, it figures that if you do not have HCL, your odds with RGS is better and “fairer”.
Maybe for SAP schools, we might see COP like AL6 + Merit, or AL7 + Distinction, which means we know that those with AL6 + HCL pass/no pass or AL7 with merit and below are out of the game (a bit like P1 registration stats: Phase 2C within 1km for xxx school, or 1-2km for yyy school, etc. etc.).

Even if MOE may not publish COP like that, I’m quite sure by then someone/KSP would compile such information to share :evil:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 19277
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:223

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by phtthp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm

mommyNg wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm
Vevey wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm
To add onto the discussion, there is a 20% reserved slots for non-affiliated students from this year.
NYGH has affliation but not RGS.
And MOE hasn’t announce how affiliation would look like in the new AL system.....
current Affliation NYPS girls at Tscore 250 should be safe, already inside the 80% NYGH cohort bracket, with the remaining balance 20% seats set aside for outsiders (Non-affliates)

how to get 250 ?

a)
score at least 86 marks (ie. AL 2, per subject)
if each of his 4 subjects equally strong, around 85 to 89 marks, can end up with 250
250 is around ... AL 8

b)
but if the P6 student is stronger in (Maths & Science) , weaker in languages, can also end up with 250

eg

score 98 marks, ie. AL 1 for (Maths & Science) +
score 75 marks, ie. AL 4 for both languages,

student can end up with Tscore 250, ie. (2 + 8) = 10 AL points

Vevey
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Jul 24,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Vevey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:09 pm

phtthp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm
mommyNg wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm
Vevey wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm
To add onto the discussion, there is a 20% reserved slots for non-affiliated students from this year.
NYGH has affliation but not RGS.
And MOE hasn’t announce how affiliation would look like in the new AL system.....
current Affliation NYPS girls at Tscore 250 should be safe, already inside the 80% NYGH cohort bracket, with the remaining balance 20% seats set aside for outsiders (Non-affliates)

how to get 250 ?

a)
score at least 86 marks (ie. AL 2, per subject)
if each of his 4 subjects equally strong, around 85 to 89 marks, can end up with 250
250 is around ... AL 8

b)
but if the P6 student is stronger in (Maths & Science) , weaker in languages, can also end up with 250

eg

score 98 marks, ie. AL 1 for (Maths & Science) +
score 75 marks, ie. AL 4 for both languages,

student can end up with Tscore 250, ie. (2 + 8) = 10 AL points
It depends on demand.

"If the demand is higher than 80%, posting-in of affiliated students will stop at 80% and the remaining students will be considered together with non-affiliated students for posting into the school based on their PSLE Scores."



https://www.moe.gov.sg/microsites/psle/ ... ation.html

mr_ang_tay_soon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 29,

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by mr_ang_tay_soon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:46 pm

true

Post Reply