All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by floppy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:24 pm

phtthp wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 pm
Hendon wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm
It was not a lady (as some posts had referred) but a father who wrote in defence of the need for changes to the current system of exemptions. He is named ‘Peter Wadeley‘

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/lett ... ing-system
they are 2 separate articles.

the first post is from Madam Wee

this new 2nd post today, from "Peter Wadeley" appeal for something else instead. That the current Tscore system for Exempted students is unfair, hence ought to make changes immediately, to rectify (correct) the situation

Both are talking about different things
:?

Sorry, but what talking you? Both are talking about the same thing (topic).

The motion:
"MOE new MTL scores for exempted / in lieu children are fair and appropriate."

Peter Wadeley represents the proposition, while Madam Wee represents the opposition.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:19

Post by laughingcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

:lol: if MOE decided to implement the MTL exemption policy almost immediately. I think the current--system-parents-with-kids-exempted-from-MTL are going to throw bananas at the petitioner. :duck:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by phtthp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 pm

laughingcat wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm
:lol: if MOE decided to implement the MTL exemption policy almost immediately. I think the current--system-parents-with-kids-exempted-from-MTL are going to throw bananas at the petitioner. :duck:
oic
can MOE implement the immediate removal of loop-holes so fast, wef this 2019 batch under Tscore, instead of wait until 2021, based on petitioner request ?
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hazeline
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by hazeline » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Does anyone knows if this is an authentic policy paper from MOE?

And the first para of the printscreen stated that MOE is reviewing taking the best of 3 out of 4 subjects? This seems to be a divergence from MOE's stance that learning MTL is important.

Did I read this correct? Scratch head.

https://psle-mtlexemption-policyreview.weebly.com/

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:50 pm

interesting read.....I am still reading. But any idea when was this written? Can't seem to find the date.

hazeline
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by hazeline » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Oh, I read the document attached. It's not from MOE, it's by someone asking MOE to review it's PSLE scoring and bilingual policy. Refer to parts in bold at the bottom.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Yes yes, I read that already. Written by Dr Lim Hong Huay who has many experiences with kids with learning disability.

Yes, it is a written proposal for kids who has learning disability and hence taken foundation or MTL being exempted.

Personally I felt these 2 groups of children needed to be consider carefully.

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by coast » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:27 pm

hazeline wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm
Does anyone knows if this is an authentic policy paper from MOE?

And the first para of the printscreen stated that MOE is reviewing taking the best of 3 out of 4 subjects? This seems to be a divergence from MOE's stance that learning MTL is important.

Did I read this correct? Scratch head.

https://psle-mtlexemption-policyreview.weebly.com/

Thanks for sharing.

I may be wrong but while this may be feasible using current T-Score system but under the new AL system, at least a few thousands would have the same "perfect" score 3. Will we be able to accept that we rely heavily on balloting for secondary school allocation?

Also, taking best 3 may result in students not putting in good efforts for their poorest subject and this will have a cascading effect in national standard.

While the intention is good (requesting MOE to consider alternative for children medically exempted from a mother tongue), the proposal (using best 3 subjects out of 4) does not seem a viable option.

Just my personal opinion.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by floppy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 pm

laughingcat wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm
Yes yes, I read that already. Written by Dr Lim Hong Huay who has many experiences with kids with learning disability.

Yes, it is a written proposal for kids who has learning disability and hence taken foundation or MTL being exempted.

Personally I felt these 2 groups of children needed to be consider carefully.
No need to be politically correct here.

The imputed MTL score has no relevance to kids with learning disability. Don't like AL6? How about MOE proposing a AL1 instead? Will it improve the child's learning ability? No.

The only relevance the score has, is towards posting. Maybe the child's overall score will improve with AL1 and the child can get posted to a better school. Parent/child finds it ok to struggle more in a better school but not to struggle in a less popular school? :shrug: It's also worthwhile to note that, regardless of the school the child is in, the assignment of G1 / G2 / G3 subjects will be based on the 3 subjects and not MTL (which is exempted).

At the end of the day, is it about face that the parents are concern with?
A score of AL16 (3x AL4 + imputed score of AL4) is better than a score of AL20 (3x AL4 + imputed score of AL6) even though the scores of the 3 subjects are fundamentally unchanged. And in KSP, we (of all people) are aware that parents preferred a AL16 school to a AL20 school, even though "every school, a good school".
Last edited by floppy on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Actually I don't mean that. What I am saying these kids with learning disability already struggle with their 3 subjects (let's say) and aiming to go to Express Stream. No fanciful school. They may not necessarily garner a AL4 instead AL5/6 for each of the 3 subjects.

Besides the G1, G2 and G3 only will implemented at 2023 only. Right?