DSA 2020

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
winnieng78
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: DSA 2020

Post by winnieng78 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks floppy

Yes thus I like to tap on the forum to see if there is any insights fellow parents can share

mrsm
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by mrsm » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi fellow parents, anyone knows if it is a must to be in the school's football cca to dsa under football? Will participation in external football academy and tournaments be considered?

kiasu_pig
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by kiasu_pig » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 pm

mrsm wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:41 pm
Hi fellow parents, anyone knows if it is a must to be in the school's football cca to dsa under football? Will participation in external football academy and tournaments be considered?

Some schools will publish the application criteria on their websites. If u are interested in a school, you can call the school up to make enquiry directly. I provided some links below which I came across while doing my research for my boy’s DSA for Basketball in 2019. But it would apply for Football or any other sports as well. Hope the links still work.

Example1. Maris Stella High School
https://marisstellahigh.moe.edu.sg/admi ... ission-dsa
“ Key player of the School Team who achieved Top 8 placing at National Inter-Primary School Competition(s)”

Example2. Dunman Secondary School
https://dunmansec.moe.edu.sg/qql/slot/u ... etball.pdf
Example3. Ngee Ann Secondary School
https://ngeeannsec.moe.edu.sg/links-for ... -admission
Assessment based on actual DSA trials. Evaluation using rubric.

Example4. ACS (Barker Road)
https://www.acsbr.moe.edu.sg/school-inf ... ission-dsa
Basketball Tryouts and Assessment on the following:
1. Dribbling through obstacles
2. Three point shootouts
3. Accuracy of free-throws
4.Time taken for 'suicide-runs'- Basketball shuttle runs (in sec)
5. Game Intelligence / Game Play

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by floppy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:10 pm

mrsm wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:41 pm
Like the post above said, some schools would publish the criteria, others may not.

For football, you do not have to be in the school’s football CCA (many primary schools don’t even have a football team) to be considered. That said, “what” football academy and “what” tournaments are important considerations whether you make the final cut or not :wink:
What you really want, is to be in a team / academy playing in the FAS U-14 development league :wink:

p1nk1e
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by p1nk1e » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Hmmm. I just realised there are a few schools for DSA with Science/Math. Where can I find the full list? I tried the MOE school finder it’s not very helpful...
Thanks!

mrsm
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by mrsm » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks, kiasu_pig and floppy! I did check out the schools' websites but some stated students have to have represented their schools while ACS Barker for instance only stated what they look for during the selection process.. Guess I'll call the schools to find out more then..

1J2Ms
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by 1J2Ms » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am

Dear parents,

My boy has completed his PSLE in 2019 and now his year1 in IP track @ CHS.
I'm glad that the stressful year is over with more challenges coming up.

Would share our experience in DSA with parents here.

We applied for DSA via Mathematics domain for my son (3 schools : HCI, RI & CHS).
He got straight rejected by HCI cos he doesn't go for any Olympiad competitions.
He got shortlisted by RI & CHS. Went for both tests and interviews.
He decided and choose CHS as he prefers the culture there (he does HMT in his primary school).

Please feel free to ask me for the DSA related questions and I will try to advise.
As I am not very active here, so if I didn't reply to you, you may PM me.

Cheers

1J2Ms
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by 1J2Ms » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:53 am

p1nk1e wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:41 pm
Hmmm. I just realised there are a few schools for DSA with Science/Math. Where can I find the full list? I tried the MOE school finder it’s not very helpful...
Thanks!
Ya, they do not show the full list. Infact, we only get to see the full list was when we did the online submission for the Maths domain.

My son wanted to go SJI but too bad they do not have DSA for Maths. They only DSA for sports. So we didn't put that in the list.

Timmy21
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by Timmy21 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 am

those parents who are new to the DSA process, pls note that each school can (and does) revise their list of DSA domains every year.

Tookies
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Tookies » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 am

1J2Ms wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am
Dear parents,

My boy has completed his PSLE in 2019 and now his year1 in IP track @ CHS.
I'm glad that the stressful year is over with more challenges coming up.

Would share our experience in DSA with parents here.

We applied for DSA via Mathematics domain for my son (3 schools : HCI, RI & CHS).
He got straight rejected by HCI cos he doesn't go for any Olympiad competitions.
He got shortlisted by RI & CHS. Went for both tests and interviews.
He decided and choose CHS as he prefers the culture there (he does HMT in his primary school).

Please feel free to ask me for the DSA related questions and I will try to advise.
As I am not very active here, so if I didn't reply to you, you may PM me.

Cheers

May I ask what is the commitment required for your boy when DSA via Math domain? What is the requirement when your child apply for DSA last year? Thanks!