DSA 2020

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Luxedream
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:16

Re: DSA 2020

Post by Luxedream » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:41 pm

mrsm wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 pm
Luxedream wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:58 am
In case anybody is interested... these are the stats for RI 2019 DSA: 1400 students applied, 120 were accepted. Cohort size is 405, DSA accounted for 30% of the intake.
May I know where can we see stats like this for the schs?
Information like this is usually shared by the individual schools during open house, reporting day, Sec 1 orientation etc. So far I haven't seen any website that consolidates these stats. Your best bet is to scour KSP forum for information posted by parents.

mrsm
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by mrsm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Luxedream wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:41 pm
mrsm wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 pm
Luxedream wrote:
In case anybody is interested... these are the stats for RI 2019 DSA: 1400 students applied, 120 were accepted. Cohort size is 405, DSA accounted for 30% of the intake.
May I know where can we see stats like this for the schs?
Information like this is usually shared by the individual schools during open house, reporting day, Sec 1 orientation etc. So far I haven't seen any website that consolidates these stats. Your best bet is to scour KSP forum for information posted by parents.
Ahhh I see.. Will do that. Thank you!

Sceinstein
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Sceinstein » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi,
My child, has been prefect from p4 and have been selected as department head for one of the department(prefectorial departments) in school.The school has given ample opportunities to facilitate public speaking skills. We would like to explore applying for DSA(2020) under leadership. But since the child is not a prefect or vice prefect ,will still stand a chance?

Academic wise results were btwn A and A+ across the subjects.

Sceinstein
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Sceinstein » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi,
My child, has been prefect from p4 and have been selected as department head for one of the department(prefectorial departments) in school.The school has given ample opportunities to facilitate public speaking skills. We would like to explore applying for DSA(2020) under leadership. But since the child is not a prefect or vice prefect ,will still stand a chance?

Academic wise results were btwn A and A+ across the subjects. Minly looking at schools which offer IP.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by floppy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Sceinstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:11 pm
Hi,

Academic wise results were btwn A and A+ across the subjects. Minly looking at schools which offer IP.
Will or will not stand a chance would be irrelevant at this point. The question really is do you have alternatives to the leadership domain. If no, you can only stick with that and hope for the best. If there are other domains, you will have to compare and choose the one that you can best showcase yourself.

P/S: nevertheless, chance / no chance is also highly dependent on the school(s) that you are applying to. My gut feel is that your child’s profile is a dime a dozen in a number of the top IP schools. Thus, you may want to focus on the mid / lower tier IP schools for at least 2 out of 3 choices.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by iRabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:00 am

Luxedream wrote:
Were only 120 applicants given CO, or were more students offered CO, of which 120 of them accepted?

Just trying to make sense of the success rate (coz 120 out of 1400 seems low even for an IP school).

Luxedream
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by Luxedream » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 am

iRabbit wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:00 am
Luxedream wrote:
Were only 120 applicants given CO, or were more students offered CO, of which 120 of them accepted?

Just trying to make sense of the success rate (coz 120 out of 1400 seems low even for an IP school).
It was announced that 120 students entered via DSA, not sure how many of these are CO or WL converted to CO. I would assume that they gave out 120 CO, and should the students reject the CO, the places would be filled up by the WL. So success rate is less than 10%, I believe this is true for other popular IP schools as well.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by iRabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 am

Yes, your assumption makes sense. So my boy was luckier coz during his time, I think the DSA intake quota was set higher than 30%.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 am

Sceinstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:11 pm
Hi,

your chance is higher, if try Leadership domain under OP schools, than IP schools, because your child's profile is common.
Therefore, should cast your fishing net wider into OP schools, instead of merely restricting narrowing down to IP schools

mandysaurus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by mandysaurus » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:34 pm

What are the requirements for sports to dsa? Must start early? Doe p5 onwards stand a chance to apply?