Knife Sharpener or Sharpening Stone

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.
Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Knife Sharpener or Sharpening Stone

Post by Lynn1967 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Jennifer wrote:
ammonite wrote:On the base, there is a rim that is sticking out rite? Use that rim as you would a sharpening stone. I prefer a knife sharpener if I have to be the one doing it to keep the sharpened edge straight and balanced. I am a bit clumsy and have sliced off many fingernails in the past. It is hard for me to control a knife where the sharpened edge slants (due to uneven sharpening) ever so slightly. My husband likes to use the sharpening stone though.

I hv never sharpened a knife.

Before marriage, there was a man who came shouting "sharpen knife , scissors" in our neighbourhood.

After marriage, mother-in-law is in charge of the kitchen.

When I moved out n started cooking, I got a good knife which is now not sharp anymore.

I saw a stall in Jelita that offers knife sharpening svc, dunno how much.

Is sharpening knife a not easy task?

my mil always take it to the market to have it sharpened.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:119

Post by Jennifer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Bringing back this topic.

I bou a sharpening stone. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes not.

Recently my right wrist hurts badly n I hv to stop meal preparation.

I noticed there is a knife sharpening svc at Jelita Shopping Centre.

I like to send my knives to a pro so that I do not need to use a lot of strength to cut meat.

Has anyone used this outlet svc? What are the fees and how many months it takes for the knife to become not sharp again?

Btw, I called the 9*****, the guy who ans the phone, said he is no longer with the company, told me to call the other number 8*****.

http://dimsumdaily.wordpress.com/cooks- ... tableware/
ULTRA-SHARP SHARPENING

Cold Storage Jelita (#02-K6)

293 Holland Road

Singapore 278626

T: (+65) 9320 7802 / 8113 9158

We’ve been hunting for something like this for ages after failing to satisfactorily sharpen our own knives at home, having bought every available gadget and gizmo that purports to guarantee a razor sharp edge. None seem to work. These guys are the real deal. Prices vary according to knife size. PS: They are not a shop, but a little stall just opposite HomeFix on level 2 of JCS.

Opening Times: 10am-7pm daily, except Wed when they are closed

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:119

Post by Jennifer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:48 am

Bou my knives and scissors to Ultra-Sharp ytd afternoon.

Paid $10.80 for the meat knife, $9 for the veg knife and $9 for the scissors.

Used the meat knife to slice a salmon fillet a while ago, very sharp and each slice falls off easily.

The lady told me to angle the knife at an incline of 30 deg so that the sharpness lasts longer, at least for 3 months if not used daily, at least 2 mths if used daily.

The svc is very fast, within 15 mins I could collect the items back as she has no other customer then.

Her name is Annie, mobile 8113 9158. I think better call her to make sure she is at the kiosk b4 going down.

akselverg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by akselverg » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm

It all depends on your knives and what you use them for. a set of different stones for sharpening + the skin ensures the shaving sharpness of the blade and the long preservation of sharpening, however, it takes a lot of time. for hunting - fishing, etc. so kind of sharpening is necessary, but for the kitchen - not ... I doubt that you have ordinary kitchen knives made of high-grade steel that requires such sharpening. because for kitchen knives it is easier to use sharpeners like those https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/knife-sharpener , while for personal knives, folding, hunting, etc. it is better to use a set of stones and a grinding skin.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:203

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Imami wrote:It is, and Cost free. I have been using this method for a few years. Knife sharper seems too sophisticated for me... :oops: no idea how to use one when I see it...
I have done this for years too. I don't buy expensive knives, so I don't see the point of paying for them to be sharpened. I have used knife sharpeners in the past, but I find this method works fine. I prefer to use a mug rather than a bowl as a mug is easier to hold. Just find one that has an unglazed rim at the base.

Huiwen86
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Huiwen86 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Used this from Daiso for sharpening my knives.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:154

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Kool wrote:I use this to sharpen my knives and it works well for me. I have 3 extras to let go at $5 each with postage. Please pm if interested.

You can see this video on how this works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhUS8DoT5U
This looks interesting. Any idea where I can find this?

tiffaneyrherr02
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by tiffaneyrherr02 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 pm

The bottom of a clay bowl can be a surprisingly effective sharpener :D and it’s quick and cost-free also. Alternate on different bowls and they won’t concave. The only problem is you have to wash the bowl afterwards. I was a big fan for years. Then while surfing on this kitchen blog HealthyKitchen101 the other day, I came across a review of a hand-held sharpener where they mention that one of the sharpening slots is made of ceramic and has the same effect as the bowl bottom. I’ve got one and have been happy ever since :D

CalvinS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CalvinS » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm

AnneS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by AnneS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Huiwen86 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Used this from Daiso for sharpening my knives.
We've tried this and it's quite effective!