All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
10%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
85%

Total votes: 610

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Re: All About Full-Time Maids

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:41 pm

The pros of ex-SG is you can hv a face to face interview. For the new ones, you can hv mainly video calls. Well, all these are still insufficient to conclude she is your right choice.

Drewkor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Drewkor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Drewkor
Do you hv a trusted family member, relative or friend who can pop in to spot check when the helper is alone with your kid?
Yes i can get my friend that stay nearby me to pop by. But i am not leaving her alone with my kid for first 6 months. She will be with my mother place whenever no one is at home.

Drewkor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Drewkor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:48 pm

janet88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:27 pm
Drewkor wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Hi parents out there, we are looking for FDW, and shortlisted 2 companies (EELIT and RAYMOND MAIDS), would like to ask if anyone have any experience with them and any feedbacks of their services and the employee so far. We are also unsure should we get ex-SG or totally new DW? Any advice?

Anyway, we are looking for Myanmar FDW that primarily focus on household chores, cooking and child minding of 2 years old kid.

Greatly appreciate any help provided. Thanks!
focusing on household chores and a hyperactive 2 year can be a handful for any maid.
getting a newbie has pros and cons...pros would be setting and following your rules. however a newbie may not have experience handling the chores, cooking and looking after a child. as for ex-SG, she will have own rules and mobile phone would be a MUST.

Haha. yeah that's the dilemma i faced.

Drewkor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Drewkor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:41 pm
The pros of ex-SG is you can hv a face to face interview. For the new ones, you can hv mainly video calls. Well, all these are still insufficient to conclude she is your right choice.
No leh, so far i interviewed both from video call. but of course because they still in Myanmar. :smile:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by Estéema » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Drewkor wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm
starlight1968sg wrote:
No leh, so far i interviewed both from video call. but of course because they still in Myanmar. :smile:
Most times, phone interview is not quite effective or it may not give right picture of ability level of the helper’s communication. The last 2 girls I helped my frds interview, I cld hear someone helping the girls to interprete what I was asking or the replies comes fr somebody in the bkgrd. This is so esp calls can be put on speaker. I insists they speak directly to me w/o help & asks open ended questions.

Mynmar girls may hv 8-10 years edn & pass their English but they really lack confidence, hv limited vocabulary & do not hv the right environment like Spore hence lack practice. A decade or / back, it’s the same with telephone interview with Indo & Pino girls. No confidence. They only say “yes” to everything robotically.

Some girls succeed in spite of the lack of English language abilities either acting on intuition & thro individual determination to work hard. Some u’stand English & pick up pretty fast to thrive in the new eyer’s h’hold.

Thankfully, the previous girls had enuf determination succeed. I was initially worried this current girl may hv a long way to pick up English, but as usual I gave instructions for them to call me the moment they pass Yangon immigration & abt to board. I heard her clearly speaking pretty good English on her own.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Drewkor wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm
starlight1968sg wrote:
video call is rather bullsh#$...there is a translator in the background telling them how to reply.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 pm

Drewkor wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 pm
starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Drewkor
Do you hv a trusted family member, relative or friend who can pop in to spot check when the helper is alone with your kid?
Yes i can get my friend that stay nearby me to pop by. But i am not leaving her alone with my kid for first 6 months. She will be with my mother place whenever no one is at home.
the maid would have to go wherever the child goes. if your kid goes to your mum's place, she must also go along. this must be made known to her.
otherwise she has the whole flat all to herself and who knows what monkey tricks she will be up to. a friend of mine has 3 kids in p1 and childcare. the maid steals stuff but friend can't do anything because she works long hours and kids are with her most of the time.

dannyc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dannyc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:41 am

This will be the first time that I will be hiring a full time maid and she is actually a family friend. What are the things that I should include on her contract of employment? What are the benefits that I should add? I'm kinda confused here.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:107

Post by lee_yl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:54 pm

This morning had “breakfast meeting” with a few mummy friends and one of them brought along her neighbor’s helper and a angmo kid.

She said neighbor’s helper now works for ang mo family and she is not willing to leave Singapore to go overseas with the family even though she’s offered twice her current salary ($1500).

The helper told us that there is this website (where she got to know from other helpers during her off days) that they can use to it to find new employers without going through agents. She is confident of getting a new angmo employer who is willing to pay her at least $1K easily. She even thinks she is underpaid now.

This helper is from Indonesia and she only wants to work for angmo as she said she doesn’t need to cook most days (they usually eat salad), if steaks then just throw inside oven and only need bathe the kid like 2-3 times a week as their parents don’t really care. :rotflmao:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by Estéema » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 pm

I think I know which website but hor, u don’t usually find good helpers. Most are pinos.

These days some Indo getting more savvy asking for expat eyers >$1K. Pino maids less than 4 years alr asking for >$600. It’s not true expats can bring helpers with them as far as I know at least in countries such as the US & Australia. They really dare to dream big aka hv 狮子大口 .

There are things we’ve to learn not to believe & be hoodwinked. I normally do not encourage anyone I know to rock the mkt. it’s getting very expensive to hire helpers & I feel very sorry for those families really in need of one to help esp with bedridden kids or elderlies.

As a rule, I don’t pay or increase salary until next contract & never jump their salary drastically just bcoz they’re good or I need them badly. I wld instead retain them with a good bonus, which will not affect & change her job value.