Cloth Steamer Vs Laura Star Iron

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Cloth Steamer Vs Laura Star Iron

Postby allseasons » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi all,

I am tired of ironing clothes for my family with the normal iron. Taking lots of my times :cry: Now I am thinking of getting either a cloth / garment steamer or a good iron e.g. Laura Star iron or other brands that can help me to iron the clothes faster and neatly.

Anyone here can share experiences using cloth steamer or a good iron e.g. Laura Star iron or other brands? Any pros and cons between them? What brand to buy? :?:

So I can make my decision which one to buy... I don't want to buy the gadget and it becomes a white elephant, sit at the corner of my store room because it is difficult to use or frequently break down... Thanks a lot :celebrate:

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smurf » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:51 pm

have u seen the demo yet? it's not difficult to use, if u get the higher end model. I think it's good if you have excess $$ to buy. I hate ironing...was comtemplating whether to get the Laura star, but the price put me off. hahah.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:08 pm

<<deleted>> as double post
Last edited by schweppes on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I got my garment steamer from Novita. So far, quite happy with it as it is easy to use. The only thing is that the clothes are not exactly crease free nor does it give the starched iron look. But, I'm quite ok with that. Can't have it all as I dislike ironing.

But most of the time, I outsource my ironing to one of those laundry services outlet that does ironing as well. I hate ironing and as I dont have a maid, I find outsourcing my ironing most helpful. Figured it's a small price to pay :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby allseasons » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:40 pm

@smurf: Which demo, Laura Star of Cloth steamer? :? Saw both, but still can't decide which one to get. I alse really dislike ironing.. Very hot, very tiring.. :cry: .

For laura star iron, I read some reviews in the internet, some said that it made the ironing table rusty faster, and lots of water droplets on the floor. Is it right?

Want to get either one of them, have been pestering my DH, he kept saying no at first.. but can't take I keep requesting and finding ways, until he finally said: yes... hehhehe.. :wink:

@ schweppes: Novita steamer sounds good. Does it cost a lot for you to outsource the ironing job? I also don't have maid.... with 2 little bouncy boys.. :love:

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:49 pm

On average, it costs about $2.50 to iron one item. But the clothes are washed at home already, so this only inc ironing fees. Good to check and ask around. Some laundry outlets do collection and delivery as well. (sori, not sure which ones). For us, we just drop off our clothes at the laundry shop whenever we do our grocery shopping, so no need to make extra trip.

I think we spend on average $15-$20 per week on ironing. Again, to me, I think it's a small price to pay for trouble-free maid problems.

Didnt want to spend too much $$ on high-end irons. Knowing me, I doubt I'd do the ironing and wd eventually still outsource the work. :tongue: :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 pm

allseasons wrote: I also don't have maid.... with 2 little bouncy boys.. :love:

haha... 2 "bouncy" boys? Sounds like they are very active but so much fun!! :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 pm

I can't remember the model number...but it comes with the ironing board??

was thinking of outsourc the ironing, but kinda troublesome to wash yourself and then drop it at the laundry right? I rather they wash and iron...hahha...then i just collect...:)

say if wash and iron 1 pc @$4, then 1 week about $40 leh...4 weeks around $160 already...:(

I think if you are not particular about totally straight clothes, can get the steamer.but I never try before lah, I think there is a thread somewhere talking about steamer? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby allseasons » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 am

@smurf: That's Laura Star iron.. Looks very easy to iron with that.. :)). Outsourcing the ironing is a good idea, but for the long run it is quite expensive leh... hehhee.. :)). I will look for the steamer thread.. :))

@schweppes: Yep, my boys are very active and quite funny when I heard they are chatting.. :lol: Every evening my body is aching, coz tired taking care them and doing the housework.. hehehe..

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I tried to make the ironing chore more pleasant by doing it more regularly (4-5 pieces of clothing to iron each day) and also watching a TV prog at the same time.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help