House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

Postby Yong HL » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi

I am thinking of partial renovating my flat (in particular, repaint the whole house & a makeover for my daughter's room). I am thinking of getting a one-stop designer to take care while my hubby feels we should be getting ala-carte coz cheaper. This is the 2nd time we renovating (1st time is when we 1st moved in 10yrs ago).. So we would like to seek advise on this. And also, do you have any reliable contractors to recommend? Thanks all :)

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gecko » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Is the reno going to be major? or something simple?

If it is simple, I think you can do it yourself, I guess.

I did have a very good contractor when I first shifted in 10 years ago. Unfortunately, these days he is a bit more "atas". He is now a "designer". More expensive too ...... :|

Gecko

Gecko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby buds » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 pm

It can be cheaper ala-carte when you go direct to source/supplier.

Like paint job for whole house can be 800 for whole house as
compared to 1k and above with the designer. Choice of paint
will also be factored in for eventual cost.

Laminates are also cheaper from source. A friend did her 3-bedrooms
for like 1.7k thereabouts instead of 1.9k at the designers..

Guess the cost will also depend on the quality, the brand and whether
your selections are the latest IN ones or not.

Lightings can also be cheaper from Balestier sources as compared to
the ones offered by the designers too.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:51 pm

I opt for reliable contractor! really can save a lot of stress...but if u r just renovating few things, then ala carte may be a better choice.

if u want, PM me for my contractor...

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 am

I think if its painting and little bit of 1 bedroom I would suggest ala-carte cause then you can choose ur self and wont be that expensive also... but if you dont mind paying then you can go for the contractor thingi...

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:48 am

just painting one room ? DIY lah ! and do it with the kids are the best

unless you want built-in wardrobe, else go to those Ikea or HDB-shop furniture shops (better value)

for electrical, you better get a qualified contractor to do it. since it is ad hoc, some visible trunking should be acceptable, and get it done before the painting
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:54 am

For painting for me I will probably get the painter in. I think most of the paint companies have those kind of service.

As for remake of kids room, I will probably DIY...and get furniture instead. There are lots of wall stickers available now a days to give the kids room a unique look.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:58 am

mintcc wrote:For painting for me I will probably get the painter in. I think most of the paint companies have those kind of service.

where got free one ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yong HL » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the advise :) i really appreciate them.
After reading the posts you guys made, i think to save costs (though i do have a strong urge to go contractor to save the stress part), i'd better go for alarte carte.. in fact, a fren of mine recommended me a fantastic website and it gave me an immediate "inspiration" on how to deco my girl's room.. (in case you are interested, the website is www.houzz.com).. And thanks to verykaisu2010, you just reminded me that paint works should come last (which i thot it should come 1st)... Thanks everyone! :wink:

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby angel04 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 am

For painting, when you choose the color, please note that the outcome will be like 2 tones darker... Many years ago, we painted our old hse on our own. While it surely looked pastel peach on the catalogue, the color came out hot orange color!! We had to bear it till we sold the flat 2.5 yrs later...

Paint companies shd be able to provide more info concerning color tone, do consult them before you get the paint.

Good luck!

angel04
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help