House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.
SUPERLATIVE.ECON
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

Post by SUPERLATIVE.ECON » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm

I am renovating my house as well. Looking through a lot of guide linke Pinterest , Qanvast for idea. I've compare many ID and also Contractors I feel if you are intend to full make over. Some package is not bad, especially those large scale and reliable company.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Post by janet88 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 pm

thanks to the power of whatsapp...although i only met my ID once, i managed to plan the design for the whole flat over 3 months. he would advise what is possible and what is not. we met up with him to discuss details and also see what costs can be reduced. once hdb gives the go-ahead for the resale application, we will make a deposit with the ID.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 am

Is cornice (my contractor called it corny) still a common thing in hdb reno?
I noticed flats built around early 2000 had a shallow false ceiling. Are new flats still having that?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:245

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 am

Nebbermind wrote:Is cornice (my contractor called it corny) still a common thing in hdb reno?
I noticed flats built around early 2000 had a shallow false ceiling. Are new flats still having that?
I think so. People like to hide the various wiring, ducting etc, and it's necessary for recessed lights. It does mean much more upheaval later if repairs or rerouting of wiring needs to be done.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Is cornice (my contractor called it corny) still a common thing in hdb reno?
cornice is not common for new flats now. actually my cornice was added to hide copper/air con pipes.
new flats today mostly use false ceiling...the 'in' thing now. false ceilings are done by owners. i don't plan to do false ceilings - cut costs

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:06 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
I think so. People like to hide the various wiring, ducting etc, and it's necessary for recessed lights. It does mean much more upheaval later if repairs or rerouting of wiring needs to be done.
it requires skill to pain cornice compared to flat surfaces. painter once explained to me that the skill of painting cornice is to make sure the cornice edge blends in with the rest of the wall colour or it will show when the paint dries.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by Zeit » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:31 am

janet88 wrote: it requires skill to pain cornice compared to flat surfaces. painter once explained to me that the skill of painting cornice is to make sure the cornice edge blends in with the rest of the wall colour or it will show when the paint dries.
Do they need to paint cornices? Thought all precast using plaster of paris at the factory?

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by Zeit » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am

If you're talking about those baroque cornices, NO. OUTDATED some 20 years ago. Be shot if you still install them in 2018.
Shallow false ceilings for HDB - do you mean partial like just going around the perimeter? Frankly, not meaning to offend those with such features now, those partial false ceilings are also OUT for me.

Track lights are IN. Just go to Qanvast or Pinterest to have a look at the more 'en-vogue' ID's works.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 am

track lights are always in fashion. the one in my master bedroom is not a track light. i got it from ikea. stainless steel matt.

i can't take warm lights as it's painful on the eyes after a while. kitchen and dining area would have to be white light. kids' rooms and living area will be using track light. there is also LED at their study table, so table light will not be necessary.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by i3mum » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi,

I will be renovating my house. Does someone has any good recommendation for the following?

1) Wallpaper services
2) Where to buy bathroom and kitchen accessories? (Shower head, basins, taps, toilet bowls , sink etc)