House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.
starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:35

Re: House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:30 pm

Slmkhoo
I went to a curtain shop in Chong Pang
I like the quality and colour of the ready made curtains. The price is reasonable as each piece is $15-20. The prob is the width of each piece is just 142cm but my window is about 297cm wide. So 2 pieces won't be enough but 3 pieces are too much.
The shop recommends a set of 480cm width at $89. The width will be too much as I need only 297cm

I went to Tampines ikea. The height (from ceiling to floor) is 250cm and I need only about 180cm. I dislike too tall curtains. The width is 145cm per piece. Even with 2 pieces I am still short of a gap. The quality and texture are limited and each set ie 2 curtains is easily $40.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:240

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:52 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:30 pm
Slmkhoo
I went to a curtain shop in Chong Pang
I like the quality and colour of the ready made curtains. The price is reasonable as each piece is $15-20. The prob is the width of each piece is just 142cm but my window is about 297cm wide. So 2 pieces won't be enough but 3 pieces are too much.
The shop recommends a set of 480cm width at $89. The width will be too much as I need only 297cm

I went to Tampines ikea. The height (from ceiling to floor) is 250cm and I need only about 180cm. I dislike too tall curtains. The width is 145cm per piece. Even with 2 pieces I am still short of a gap. The quality and texture are limited and each set ie 2 curtains is easily $40.
142 x 3 is 426, which is less than the 480. And 426 is about 40% wider than 297, so that sounds about right, actually. If you get exactly 297, then your curtain will not have any gathers, which won't look very nice, and will let a lot of sun through. Unless you mean that your window plus extra allowance for gathers is 297?

Will the Chong Pang shop sell you 3 pieces? Some places insist you buy them in pairs (like IKEA), then you will have a spare curtain which is rather a waste. If they will sell individual pieces, the Chong Pang shop sounds like it's the right choice.

Curtains are easy to shorten if you have a sewing machine. If you don't, you can probably get them shortened by one of those alteration shops.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Slmkhoo
My 297cm is from one end to the other end of the window. 3 pieces of curtain for a sliding window look a bit funny.
The Chong Pang ship sells curtain at per piece and I doubt any issue I want to buy 3 pieces.
I am the lazy type and am unlikely to shorten the curtains. As long as the curtains are not touching the floor, am quite ok.
Meanwhile I try to look at other shops for more options
Thank you.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:240

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:39 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:02 pm
Slmkhoo
My 297cm is from one end to the other end of the window. 3 pieces of curtain for a sliding window look a bit funny.
The Chong Pang ship sells curtain at per piece and I doubt any issue I want to buy 3 pieces.
I am the lazy type and am unlikely to shorten the curtains. As long as the curtains are not touching the floor, am quite ok.
Meanwhile I try to look at other shops for more options
Thank you.
It depends on how you open them. If you usually open them at the 2 sides, then the middle doesn't matter. But if you open in the middle, I guess you might want it to be symmetrical.

If your window is 297, then you should look for curtains that are at least 4-4.5m wide, I think. Otherwise they will look very flat and stretched when fully drawn. So each panel should be 2-2.3m wide.

I am fussy about length of curtains because a lot of my windows have bookshelves or something under them - if the curtains are too long, they will block the shelves or get in the way. But since I have a sewing machine, shortening them doesn't take long, and it's easy when they are all rectangles. Except for when we first moved in, I only replace curtains as an when they disintegrate, so I'm usually only dealing with 1 room at a time.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Tks slmkhoo
I agreed that I shld look for curtains whose width is greater than 297cm.

Kjolene
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Kjolene » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 pm

My friend all tailor made on Taobao

SlyMok
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by SlyMok » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:41 pm

Interior design will be better in my view as they have all the contacts to provide you the full suite of home furnishings

Beehhis
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Beehhis » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:06 am

A month ago, he completed the repair of the kitchen. I was not looking for a designer; I was a designer myself. I picked up wallpaper, kitchen furniture and appliances. Particular attention was paid to the kitchen sink. Kitchen sinks are mainly installed in the kitchen during development or decoration. Moving a kitchen sink is difficult. I bought the best kitchen sinks made of stainless steel 2020, when buying, I paid attention to the fact that the sink was made of quality material.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:84

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:28 pm

What custom made furniture can be ordered from Taobao?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:225

Post by floppy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:57 am

ngl2010 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:28 pm
What custom made furniture can be ordered from Taobao?
I think 'custom-made' should not be taken literally.

Here, it's usually refer to a basic design, onto which you can either change colour, or change material, or cut to specific sizes etc.