House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Re: House Renovation - designers or ala-carte?

Post by zac's mum » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Aahhhhh...the younger male I can train...but it’s the older one especially, who is still stuck in his “childhood training” by my MIL who cleaned up every single one of his messes. :gloomy: It’s one of those things I have to live and let live for the sake of harmony in my marriage.

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by .zeit » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Estéema wrote:
.zeit wrote:Doesn't installing black seat covers make it more diff to spot the yellow stains in the long run?

Btw, you'd better get the cover dimensions right as the curves of the bowls may differ. Have you sat on some misaligned seats in public toilets before? They shift!
Agree. I’ve always felt irksome to sit in misaligned toilet seat, so am I reactive to stained & urine smelly toilets. Can’t be help when I’m out but I’ve very sticky abt clean toilets, maybe coz of a trip eins ago where the tour guide proudly shared that Japanese are proud of their clean toilets that the cleaners will proudly kiss their toilets w/o squalms. Not sure if it’s still true after > 30+ years but my habit stuck.

I’ll clean up stains immediately before it emits THAT smell. I like clean smelling bathrooms. More than that, I ‘trained’ DH early on in our marriage to cooperate not leaving any trial of stains. Thankful for his concern for the work I’ve to do & offered that cooperation. As for DC, fr young I’ve trained him to use a piece of toilet tissue to dab before flashing & washing. :wink: I’m thankful for this cooperation too & hoping this habit helps him towards his happiness in future. :xedfingers: Better than spending on new toilet seats that do not show stains up but irk my senses.

:lol:
They creak!!! Ya, Japs are super clean and neat, partly thanks to the automation. I like. Incidentally (my recollection of public toilets in Dubai was triggered by a recent holiday thread), Arabs are uber clean and dry too, despite the washing practice.

Yeah, a little cooperation by everyone makes life easier for the principal cleaner!

I like it that I can see the slightest yellowish tinge on the white porcelains. I rented an overseas apartment that came with black granite bathroom tiles. I was always squinting my eyes at the slightest drop of liquid on the black granite, wondering if it was red, yellow, brown, or :sick: :imconstipated:

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by .zeit » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:20 pm

I went to Tan Boon Liat Building@Outram to shop for some furniture last weekend after reading an online article on its Black Friday block party. I was surprised that industrial building has 14 floors of home & decor warehouse cum retail showrooms!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by Estéema » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Ouch!

Don’t strain your eyes too much.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:83

Post by ngl2010 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 pm

DH and DS sit on toilets at home to pass urine. For DS, I trained him since he was first toilet rained. When he started schooling, I told him to stand when using urinals in school. He understood. At first my MIL made a fuss when I trained DS to sit but in the end she gave in.

For DH, he was so considerate :love: He has been sitting on the toilets at home so there is no drips at all. I can't remember when it started. Definitely not the first year we were married because I still remember seeing yellow stain on the toilet rim although he lifted up the toilet seat.

I shared this a few years back in this forum. Some agreed with me and some criticised me. Those that criticised me said that sitting down to pass urine is not natural for men. But my point is if they can pass urine while sitting down to pass motion, why can't they sitting down to pass urine at other times? Does it affect their health if they sit down to pass urine? Any research done to prove that there is any negative affect? We are just trying to eliminate unnecessary work. And imagine all the wasted water and tissue to clean the drips...

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:01 pm

I once had a cleaner at United Square complain to me (while chitchatting) that kids nowadays don’t even bother to flush the toilet after they are done. Which makes her job so much harder. Then when she reminds the kids to press the button to flush, their mothers scold her for “disciplining” their kids!

Maybe those kids are too used to automatic flushes and maids at home who flush for them.

When my son gave his input on our upcoming reno: “Let’s install toilets with automatic flush!” I was immediately NO. Can’t be so lazy until don’t know how to flush your own toilet at home! Gosh, what a spoilt child :siao: :stompfeet:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Awww! Tough on mummies who think cleaners/maids or anyone trying to ‘wrangle’ role fr them.

I’ll be happy for others to correct my kids’ habits if it’s done when I wasn’t looking, just that hopefully it’s in a kind carefrontation tone.

It is tough life for cleaners to pick up after poor habits. We engaged quasi help when we’re not able or chose not to do the cleaning, but that does not mean we shld wholly depend on such help shld we expect that help will always be available even if u’ve the money to pay for it.

At home, my kids are trained to pick up after themselves when young to keep toys after they stop playing, flush toilets, fold blankets on weekends & sch holidays. DH & I went thro a period of not having good helpers & decided to do w/o for a while. We enjoyed that sense of independence & it gave us good bonding as we overcome stresses of having bad maids.

I’ve long lost trust of Pino & then years later Indo helpers. I’m aware there are good ones, but the temptations of a vibrant city like Spore is just tough when there are instigators for these ladies with access to our h’holds.

DH & I held views that we must be ‘operationally ready’ to pick up where we left off bcoz as the 3rd world countries grow, everyone wld want to move towards better jobs that are less menial. So we shld not always hv an entitlement mindset.

Now more comfortable with Mynmar helpers, but still very selective and cautious.

Best is to equip our kids with independent lifeskills & good attitude. I wanna train my kids to “touch dirt” so they don’t become squirmish with the earth we depend on & willingness to work with sweat on them.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm

zac’s mum,

Was thinking of you and I recall years back when staying in Japan for a few months, had difficulty cleaning in winter as I feel cold easily & my nails & skin will peel off easily leading to bleeding. So instead of washing toilet seats frequently, I got those seat covers and toilet floor mats, which I change daily & putbin wash. You might consider this as an option if u can’t find those toilet seats u wanted, does & it doesn’t become laborious. Just a suggestion.

Saw sth like these similar to what I used to have.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks, Esteema! Is this pic from Daiso Japan? Or Daiso Singapore?

I’ll be changing to an open kitchen. Any KSPs here can recommend a good and powerful extractor hood that can really minimize the food smell going to the living room? It’s hard to believe the salespeople in the showroom cos they haven’t tested the products in real life cooking.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 am

zac's mum wrote:Thanks, Esteema! Is this pic from Daiso Japan? Or Daiso Singapore?

I’ll be changing to an open kitchen. Any KSPs here can recommend a good and powerful extractor hood that can really minimize the food smell going to the living room? It’s hard to believe the salespeople in the showroom cos they haven’t tested the products in real life cooking.
Pic taken fr Daiso Spore @ IMM.