All About CCTV/spy camera for monitoring maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Will you install a CCTV/spy camera to monitor your maid?

Yes, and i will watch it everyday
24%
Yes, just for precaution and will watch it when something is amiss
71%
No, i don't believe in it
5%

Total votes : 105

All About CCTV/spy camera for monitoring maids

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 am

Hi, would like to do a poll to see how many of us would actually install a CCTV, or spy camera to monitor our full time maids, when there's nobody at home (when both parents are out at work.)

And hopefully can get answers from those who installed. Will it become a white elephant in time to come? Is it worth the money and time to 'jagar' someone you don't trust?

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby duriz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 am

Hey buddy.
Voted.
We have a few at home, though not all are in use.
None are in "sensitive" areas.
We don't tell the maid.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:09 am

Koalamummy,
I've not hired a maid so far, but if I ever do, I will install one. However, I will let the maid know of the installation but may not tell her the locations. Of course no installations in bathrooms n her room lah :) I hope the installation will serve as a deterrent.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:02 pm

I have and my hubs watch it daily.
My current maid is really good so we've not seen anything so far, other than the cleaner who stole our things and a crazy person who likes to climb up the stairs to our level, walk about, then take the lift down again.
And of course, the students who pick their nose while waiting for me to open the door for them. :p

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gumiho » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:I have and my hubs watch it daily.
My current maid is really good so we've not seen anything so far, other than the cleaner who stole our things and a crazy person who likes to climb up the stairs to our level, walk about, then take the lift down again.
And of course, the students who pick their nose while waiting for me to open the door for them. :p

Hi,

May I know how much is it to install a CCTV at home ?

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby snowman.697 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 pm

It's a cctv, not a spy camera, employers are not spies.

^^ abv post: not much really. My parents just got 2 cameras from d-link, i think they're quite good as one day i was bored so i looked at myself in the cctv lol, and i was quite impressed with the quality. Basically you have wireless cctv, which works via wireless internet, or my parents use a cable with an ethernet controller. Alll in all, 1 camera costs 50 sgd, maybe a bit more for the installation

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:43 pm

fionong wrote:

Hi,

There are several types (internet cam, CCTV with recording, Wireless CCTV, CCTV with remote viewing) and their prices vary depending on the type and the country of origin. Based on our experience, Korean ones are better but more pricey by about 30%.

If you are keen, PM me your contact. Will ask my hubs to arrange for demo to show you (should be at my place).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:25 pm

I have a camera that is right in the centre of the living room. Personally I feel that cameras are better used publicly as deterrents, rather than surreptiously. The maid could claim that you invaded her privacy by installing cameras without her knowledge, creating an opportunity for her to get the case thrown out of court due to technicality. I would much rather that the maid behaves, knowing full well that she is being watched, than for her to misbehave and for us to have to take remedial action subsequently.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Joeyz18 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:40 am

hihi, maybe i need to install 3 camera and those that can view via iphone, wonder how much it will cost me.. any idea?

Initialy i wanted to buy this IPcamera IC502W, anyone using? any reviews?

mrswongtuition wrote:
fionong wrote:

Hi,

There are several types (internet cam, CCTV with recording, Wireless CCTV, CCTV with remote viewing) and their prices vary depending on the type and the country of origin. Based on our experience, Korean ones are better but more pricey by about 30%.

If you are keen, PM me your contact. Will ask my hubs to arrange for demo to show you (should be at my place).

Joeyz18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mykah093 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:32 am

I have a maid in house but I have never install a CCTV camera because I have a full trust to my maid. But sometimes, I was planning to install CCTV camera because my friend's maid hurt the kids. Thanks to the CCTV camera that she installed, she actually watched what her maid did to her kids every time she was not in home.

mykah093
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Domestic Help