How to wash socks ?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

How to wash socks ?

Postby mamemo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:11 pm

My DS's socks has turned from white to grey, just barely after 2 months since school started. How do we wash the socks effectively ? bleach ? scrub ?

mamemo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LOLMum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm

oh, i dont have this problem. well so far so good.

i turn them inside out and wash them with the rest of the white stuff using teh washing machine, laundry powder and conditioner.

but would like to know of other ways to prevent it from turning grey as well.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Leanne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I know friend bleach it.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: How to wash socks ?

Postby MyBaby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

mamemo wrote:My DS's socks has turned from white to grey, just barely after 2 months since school started. How do we wash the socks effectively ? bleach ? scrub ?

Yes! I also want to know. I don't know how my DS does it but he manages to come back with grey socks - not just at the sole part but the top part also.

I've tried bleaching, soaking, scrubbing - doesn't work. Now resort to buying cheap ones at pasar malam, during warehouse sales etc and throwing away...

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mamemo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 pm

MyBaby wrote:
mamemo wrote:My DS's socks has turned from white to grey, just barely after 2 months since school started. How do we wash the socks effectively ? bleach ? scrub ?

Yes! I also want to know. I don't know how my DS does it but he manages to come back with grey socks - not just at the sole part but the top part also.

I've tried bleaching, soaking, scrubbing - doesn't work. Now resort to buying cheap ones at pasar malam, during warehouse sales etc and throwing away...

Same here ! All parts of the socks are grey. Apparently they sit on the floor pretty frequently, so both socks and shoes turns grey very easily.

I'm not sure whether DS can wear those cheap pasar malam socks to school because his school socks are imprinted with the school name. So the socks may be part of the uniform.

mamemo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby peapot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:24 pm

I used Vanish or bleach. Need to soak a few hours.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:12 am

mamemo wrote:[Same here ! All parts of the socks are grey. Apparently they sit on the floor pretty frequently, so both socks and shoes turns grey very easily.

I'm not sure whether DS can wear those cheap pasar malam socks to school because his school socks are imprinted with the school name. So the socks may be part of the uniform.

DS' also have school socks with the school name sewn on. However, I noticed alot of kids (especially the older kids) not wearing them. So I just switched and no one has said anything so far - DS in P2 now...

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MyBaby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 am

peapot wrote:I used Vanish or bleach. Need to soak a few hours.

I've tried Vanish too but the socks didn't come out any cleaner - unless I've been doing it wrongly?

What I will do is put the socks into a pail, add in half a spoon of Vanish (the spoon provided in the tub) and soak for about 1 hr (I think the instructions said cannot soak for too long). Then I will scrub before tipping them into the washing machine.

The only "sure" outcome is my pair of itchy hands as I'm allergic to the strong chemicals :cry:

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mrsbongz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

I have been using vanish too, i soak with Hot water, and it's still quite acceptable..

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sporemum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Actually on a similar thread, it will be good if someone can advise on how to properly wash their white school shoes too.

I would like to add actually their once- white shoes, often than not they look black after a few wears. Of cos u can add shoe white. thankfully.

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help