celing fan n lights

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

celing fan n lights

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed May 18, 2011 10:36 am

does anyone uses ceiling fan with lights?
1) does the ceiling fan that has lights underneath, cast a shadow when the fan spins?
2) is the ceiling fan light bright enuf? can change to more watt one?
3) where to buy nice ceiling fan with nice lights? not flowery type

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: celing fan n lights

Postby hquek » Wed May 18, 2011 11:03 am

My family has one installed - can't recall the brand but we got it from balestier (Singapore Lighting Mart). The blades will fold down when not in use (easier to clean). It comes with a remote control.

We don't notice shadows when the fan is on.
Room is bright enough (but then this depends on how big your room is).
I think there are quite a few models in the market - so up to personal choice as to what is nice.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby pinky » Wed May 18, 2011 11:16 am

mine was installed 12 years ago and still fine
so shadows cast below and we have 5 bulbs that can be switched on full or just 1 or 4 bulbs combination
Can't remember the brand though and also bought at Balestier

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby leo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:16 pm

ditto. Bought at balestier (some shop at the end of the whole stretch) about 2 years ago when DD started climbing up the standing fan.

Comes with 3 lights (can alternate 1/2/3 lights with a chain) with a chain for fan strength (5 blades).

No shadow casted (we ask the shop owner and they mention something (cannot remember) for my light/fan.

Go Balestier for a look, they can even change the light 'cover' to one of your choice.

leo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed May 18, 2011 1:27 pm

but will the light be bright enuf? i heard its only 20 watt. will it be bright enuf for reading in the bedrm?

one thing is such lights are fat looking from side view

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 pm

The one my family has is only 1 bulb but it's definitely enough. you can choose from the wattage available.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 18, 2011 2:00 pm

hquek wrote:The one my family has is only 1 bulb but it's definitely enough. you can choose from the wattage available.

Even so, I strongly discourage having the model with just a single bulb. It is definitely not bright enough. You will need to have at least 2 on, preferably 4. Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish. Your family's eyesight is not worth the savings in electricity.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed May 18, 2011 2:01 pm

24hr-mum wrote:... will it be bright enuf for reading in the bedrm?

This combination of fan/light, I believed, are not meant for reaiong on your bed. For that, it's better for you to get bedside lamps that are meant for reading, and the ceiling fan on it's own . . . my view

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
hquek wrote:The one my family has is only 1 bulb but it's definitely enough. you can choose from the wattage available.

Even so, I strongly discourage having the model with just a single bulb. It is definitely not bright enough. You will need to have at least 2 on, preferably 4. Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish. Your family's eyesight is not worth the savings in electricity.

Finally found the picture (haizzz). http://www.amasco.com.sg/products_detai ... =40&scID=1

Hmmm, it's not the mini tulip-like bulb - most of the ceiling fans have 3-4 such small bulbs. But I think a rather big bulb. Definitely bright enough for a bedroom.

As an aside, how do we know when bright is bright enough? Is there any experts we can seek help from? Those pp at the lighting shops don't give me much confidence leh.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Wed May 18, 2011 2:19 pm

24hr-mum wrote:does anyone uses ceiling fan with lights?
1) does the ceiling fan that has lights underneath, cast a shadow when the fan spins?
2) is the ceiling fan light bright enuf? can change to more watt one?
3) where to buy nice ceiling fan with nice lights? not flowery type

1) after a while, you dont even notice anything

2) 2-4 lights are the best combination - brightness depend on your own preference. mine is a standard size living room and 2 bulbs (cant remember the watt) is more than enough. short reading is okay but not for study.

3) unfortunately, there is limited choice available (including colours and brand) available. dh likes simple plain design which goes well with any deco.

dh got ours from a shop in balestier shopping centre (directly at the entrance where the bridge is located). look for mr remy who is the one in charge. better service and input from him compared to the rest of the staff.

to me, i can only feel the full blast of wind from the fan when the windows are closed. pls remember to tell your maid not to press down too hard the blades when cleaning.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help