my maid contacted tuberculosis

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

my maid contacted tuberculosis

Postby babana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 pm

OMG, my maid contacted tuberculosis, and is going to be hospitalised for 2 weeks....my family is at risk, and I just realised the insurance does not cover this disease!

Any advice on how I can handle the medical bills.

I wanted to isolate her at home, but seems like not possible.

Anyone has any experience on this before? I am lost....

babana
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: my maid contacted tuberculosis

Postby yanyan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:29 pm

My grandpa had tb few yrs bk but he only need to take medicine but need not b hosp.. Only thing is hv to go bk regularly for review..

For close family members got to take tests to see if u r infected.. Whole family all safe except me.. But mine was the inactive stage(cant rem the terms).. I need to tk med for 6 mths..

yanyan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

babana wrote:OMG, my maid contacted tuberculosis, and is going to be hospitalised for 2 weeks....my family is at risk, and I just realised the insurance does not cover this disease!

how long you maid has been with your family ?

how she passed medical test if she is new ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funx3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
babana wrote:OMG, my maid contacted tuberculosis, and is going to be hospitalised for 2 weeks....my family is at risk, and I just realised the insurance does not cover this disease!

how long you maid has been with your family ?

how she passed medical test if she is new ?

Yeah I'm surprise Too ....
A Few years Back, we have a Myanmar WP Employee came in to Spore under IPA (In principle Approval), pending on Medical, and other tests ....
His X-Ray Showed cloudy in chest area, so sent to retake 2nd X Ray, Still Cloudy and Doc says it's TB ....
So WP NOT Issued (Not Approved), and Worker was sent Back ....

How is it Possible that your FDW can pass the Medical?
Maybe U Shd check ALL the Way to the Doc who issued the ALL CLear for the FDW Medical ....

And btw, R U saying that MOM still Allow this FDW to be Employed in Spore?
Thought if 6 monthly medical not Passed, their WP will be cancelled?

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 pm

if the maid was originally okay, then the BIG question is when and where she contracted the TB ?

don't want to jump the gun on the discussion -- this is just another potential problem of maid been too free to roam about ....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Possiblity is that she may has Latent tuberculosis is where a patient is infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis and does not have active tuberculosis disease at that time she work for you but develop into acive tuberculosis now.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 pm

If your Foreign maid insuracne (that inclusive of hosptial and surgical) is purchased with NTUC I think is should be covered as my friend had similar case but manage to claim from NTUC.
(unless there is changes now)

At that time the coverage was $5,000 and her maid incured close to $4,000 for about 10 days in hospital.

However, the hosiptal would require you to pay the upfront deposit (about $3,000) as she don't have any medisave.

This above is based on few years ago C class charges for foreigner and you may want to clarify with your insurer and hosptial too.

Remember to ask for C class and hopsital would still give her a one person room by charge you C class rate based on foreigner rate.

Hope the above help.
Last edited by Brenda10 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18 pm

the possibility of you, the employer, footing the bill yourself is very high. unless you want to dock her pay but how long will that take to repay it.

i paid for my 2 maid's hospitalisation bills (dengue fever), dental and her operation in philippines. no way they can afford the bills.

verykiasu2010 wrote:if the maid was originally okay, then the BIG question is when and where she contracted the TB ?

don't want to jump the gun on the discussion -- this is just another potential problem of maid been too free to roam about ....

i am more afraid of aids.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 am

LOLMum wrote:the possibility of you, the employer, footing the bill yourself is very high. unless you want to dock her pay but how long will that take to repay it.

i paid for my 2 maid's hospitalisation bills (dengue fever), dental and her operation in philippines. no way they can afford the bills.

verykiasu2010 wrote:if the maid was originally okay, then the BIG question is when and where she contracted the TB ?

i am more afraid of aids.

But AIDS isn't that easily transmitted. You need an exchange of bodily fluids. TB is airborne. :yikes:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 am

aids is treatable but there is no cure for it. pp dont really care if you have tb but if you have aids, that's another story - definitely not a nice one.

suay suay the husband/son sleeps with maid................ :yikes:

:offtopic:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help