Indonesia proposes that maids must live in domitories

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Indonesia proposes that maids must live in domitories

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/ar ... id=5076776

SINGAPORE: Maid employment agencies said it’s not feasible to stop Indonesian maids from living with their employers and housing them in dormitories instead.

The proposal by the Indonesian government reported on Thursday was to prevent maid abuse.

Channel NewsAsia spoke to maid employment agencies and employers on the issue of housing maids in dormitories.

Ng Wei Kwan, an employer of an Indonesian maid, said: "Not a good idea.

"During the night, maids need to look after the children and the elderly. So, if maids worked nine to five, who is going to look after our children and elderly at night?"

Winnie Wang, an overseas recruitment senior advisor at Advance Link International, said: "Many employers would give up using Indonesian maids because they have other options, like maids from the Philippines or Myanmar.

"It’s also not possible for Singapore to build dormitories to house a few hundred thousand maids."

Agencies said more than half of the 200,000 maids in Singapore are Indonesian.

Another problem employers of Indonesian maids face is the Overseas Workers’ ID card that their maids have to apply for, in order to return to Singapore to work after their home leave.

Although introduced in 2004, the Indonesian government had only recently begun enforcing this.

And applications can only be made at 26 offices in Indonesia.

Ng added: "My maid doesn’t know where the office is. With the low education level of maids, and the complicated process, there is concern that some won’t come back."

Agencies said they hope the Singapore government will diversify the sources for maids, so employers will be less affected by policy changes in any of the countries.

— CNA/ck
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Indonesia proposes that maids must live a domitories

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 am

I hope such ridiculous rules are mandated by the Indo government,then we can all forget about employing troublesome mad maids from Indo
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 am

http://www.reach.gov.sg/YourSay/Discuss ... 3472%5D%5D

additional discussion on this issue at reach.gov.sg

things are getting more ridiculous by the day
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Indonesia proposes that maids must live in domitories

Postby gumiho » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm

If Indo government continue their nonsense, I'm afraid those Indonesian Maids have to stay at home and shake leg.

In another way also good for them because those Indonesian Maids I met come to Singapore only to enjoy life.

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:42 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:I hope such ridiculous rules are mandated by the Indo government,then we can all forget about employing troublesome mad maids from Indo

ya then they got chance to find boyfriends mah ... If they are so kind to their people, they should put in more effort to create more jobs for their pple in their country!....rubbish.. :mad:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Indonesia proposes that maids must live in domitories

Postby tracychew » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:06 pm

With the recent spate of strange diplomatic demands from over there.. It's pretty hard to know how to react to their policies.. I'm sure those helpers who are close to their families would rather stay with them too.

tracychew
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Domestic Help