Total cost for maintaining a maid

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby Zhuge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi,

I like to find out the total cost of maintaining a maid.
After reading stories about Burmese maid, I only dare to get an Indonesian one. Heard the new salary is now $460 per month.
In addition to that, need to provide her 3 meals every day.
Is there any other costs that are needed?
Please advise as I am totally new in this area..
Thanks!

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby lovejoypeacce » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:26 am

Before hiring - employment agency fees, the loan from maid (6 months) that you have to pay to the agency upfront, insurance...

When the maid arrives - salary, levy, medical expenses, food, toiletries,

During her term - home leave application, airticket, bonus (if you choose to) and the list goes on and on...

Actually quite similar to raising another child or supporting another family member...

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby shine_fs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:36 am

Zhuge wrote:Hi,

I like to find out the total cost of maintaining a maid.
After reading stories about Burmese maid, I only dare to get an Indonesian one. Heard the new salary is now $460 per month.
In addition to that, need to provide her 3 meals every day.
Is there any other costs that are needed?
Please advise as I am totally new in this area..
Thanks!


I checked with two agencies, the Indo and Filip is now S$400.

shine_fs
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:50 am

shine_fs wrote:
Zhuge wrote:Hi,

I like to find out the total cost of maintaining a maid.
After reading stories about Burmese maid, I only dare to get an Indonesian one. Heard the new salary is now $460 per month.
In addition to that, need to provide her 3 meals every day.
Is there any other costs that are needed?
Please advise as I am totally new in this area..
Thanks!


I checked with two agencies, the Indo and Filip is now S$400.


where got so cheap ? most are quoting $450, 8 months loan
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby peapot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:39 pm

There are still some quoting at $400 for new maid's without experience. But not many lah.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm
Total Likes: 7



Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby peapot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:49 pm

The whole package could set u back at about $3300+. plus agent fees $400(on average), insurance $270 and $35(medical). The agent pays nothing. So when they tell u they earn peanuts, u know they are lying!!!

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm
Total Likes: 7


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby shine_fs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:46 pm

peapot wrote:The whole package could set u back at about $3300+. plus agent fees $400(on average), insurance $270 and $35(medical). The agent pays nothing. So when they tell u they earn peanuts, u know they are lying!!!


1st agency quote : Agent fee S$398, POEA S$300, Insurance S$321 and Course Fee S$80. Maid salary per mth S$400. Loan 7 mths.

2nd agency quote : Agent fee S$688 incl POEA, Insurance S$247 and Course Fee.

If you are looking for Indo maid, just take away the POEA portion.

shine_fs
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby hypergatak » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:10 pm

I am about to renew my maid, my first time, I thought I would save some $, but shocked to find out that not much savings here:-
(a) airticket for her home leave $350 on budget airline(She insists on going back during Christmas period)
(b) agency fees for handling her home leave $260
(c) admin fees paid to philippines Embassy $120
(d) her pay during her home leave of 2 weeks $200

Sigh, we employers are the suckers! All the costs are on us!

hypergatak
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:59 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby shine_fs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:15 pm

hypergatak wrote:I am about to renew my maid, my first time, I thought I would save some $, but shocked to find out that not much savings here:-
(a) airticket for her home leave $350 on budget airline(She insists on going back during Christmas period)
(b) agency fees for handling her home leave $260
(c) admin fees paid to philippines Embassy $120
(d) her pay during her home leave of 2 weeks $200

Sigh, we employers are the suckers! All the costs are on us!


:yikes:

shine_fs
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Total cost for maintaining a maid

Postby peapot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:40 pm

hypergatak wrote:I am about to renew my maid, my first time, I thought I would save some $, but shocked to find out that not much savings here:-
(a) airticket for her home leave $350 on budget airline(She insists on going back during Christmas period)
(b) agency fees for handling her home leave $260
(c) admin fees paid to philippines Embassy $120
(d) her pay during her home leave of 2 weeks $200

Sigh, we employers are the suckers! All the costs are on us!

Not too late to know now. Nothing will benefit the employers unless you got yourself a very good maid. In this case we wouldn't mind to pay for all these. I just wonder if HK and Taiwan employers pay for all these when their maid wants to renew.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm
Total Likes: 7


Next

Return to Domestic Help