Water leakage from upstair

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Water leakage from upstair

Postby pandan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi,

My upstair neighbour's kitchen pipe leaks and soil my ceiling. He is not willing to pay for the repair. May I know what is the bylaws in singapore for condo living ? I remembered the upstair neighbour is supposed to pay the full cost then why he said I should pay for 50 % ?

Anybody is familiar with the bylaws ?

Thank you.

pandan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Water leakage from upstair

Postby atrecord » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 pm

pandan wrote:Hi,

My upstair neighbour's kitchen pipe leaks and soil my ceiling. He is not willing to pay for the repair. May I know what is the bylaws in singapore for condo living ? I remembered the upstair neighbour is supposed to pay the full cost then why he said I should pay for 50 % ?

Anybody is familiar with the bylaws ?

Thank you.

Not familiar, but you're right that for private, the upstairs pay full for repair. For HDB, it's still HDB pays half, then upstairs/downstairs pay one quarter each.

Can check with management office about this?

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 pm

if I'm not wrong, the whatever % applies to toilet flooring repairs because the floor slab is both your ceiling and his floor.

If in this case it's his pipe that is leaking, then it's his pipe that is faulty and u should not be paying for it, right? His pipe is not part of the structure that is share what!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby carebear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Since you asked, I went to check BCA website and found this which may be useful to you. It is found in Chapter 2 of the pdf file.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/strata_living.pdf

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby carebear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 pm

carebear wrote:Since you asked, I went to check BCA website and found this which may be useful to you. It is found in Chapter 2 of the pdf file.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/strata_living.pdf

Managed to cut and paste the by laws from the BCA website:

Inter-floor leaks
If there is an inter-floor leak, you and your neighbour are required to jointly carry
out an investigation to establish the cause of the leak and proceed with the repair
works. You should also both resolve the cost of repair. In cases like this, it is presumed
that the leak has originated from the upper floor unit unless the owner can
prove otherwise. Therefore, the owner of the upper floor unit cannot claim that
the leak has not originated from a defect in his unit. He has to jointly investigate
the cause with his lower-floor neighbour and proceed with any repairs required.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddykiddy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 pm

u can try to go to any MPS (Meet the People Session) near you, an initiative by PAP to complain! they will have people who help you write a letter, endorsed by the MP` to send to the relevant authorities! I went before and it works! Hope this helps! (:

kiddykiddy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby JusticeBao » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 am

Difficult situation..

JusticeBao
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Domestic Help