WTA: where to buy long plastic gloves for washing dishes?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

WTA: where to buy long plastic gloves for washing dishes?

Postby jnj0910 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi,

would like to ask where i can get non-latex, long clear plastic gloves for doing housework like washing dishes, washing clothes by hand?

I have eczema and allergy to fragrances and certain chemicals confirmed by skin testing :(
eczema/rashes/ itch act up whenever i do too much housework requiring water contact :sad:

can only find latex types in supermarkets/ or some have wool inside, which i cannot use also.

have found some wrist-length disposable plastic gloves which I used for a while, but the water gets in very easily and the trapped water worsens my rashes too.

would be grateful for any advice and where to buy these gloves.

thanks very much in advance!

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: WTA: where to buy long plastic gloves for washing dishes

Postby toddles » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm

unity clinic? sounds like those clinical gloves that doctors use.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jnj0910 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:25 pm

no not the doctor's gloves... those are mostly rubber/latex, and too short for housework :(

tks anyway :smile:

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sandunes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:45 am

Daiso carries longer gloves but I think they are thin rubber/ latex. One option is to sprinkle some anti-rash powder into the gloves before using and limit the time u have them on. From my experience, those disposable plastic ones do not fit well at all and make cleaning job more difficult.

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 am

tks for ur suggestion..
but cannot use powder either.. makes me sneeze, and traps moisture in the gloves...
my rashes only relieved by steroid cream :sad:

oh dear... looks like its really hard to find...

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 pm

anyone knows??

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tanglin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm

jnj0910,

i had really bad eczema on my hands in the past due to housework. since switching to sugar bubble dishwash detergent, there's been a remarkable improvement ( i'm not the seller/promoter
for this in any way). my hands are still dry but they are much more manageable so long as i remember to give my hands a good thorough wash to clean off the residual detergent after housework, dry them with a towel (really impt step for me), and slab on some moisturiser. gloves don't really work for me cos 1. i cannot 'feel' if the plates are clean and 2. my hands tend to perspire inside after a while. jts...

tanglin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

tanglin wrote:jnj0910,

i had really bad eczema on my hands in the past due to housework. since switching to sugar bubble dishwash detergent, there's been a remarkable improvement ( i'm not the seller/promoter
for this in any way). my hands are still dry but they are much more manageable so long as i remember to give my hands a good thorough wash to clean off the residual detergent after housework, dry them with a towel (really impt step for me), and slab on some moisturiser. gloves don't really work for me cos 1. i cannot 'feel' if the plates are clean and 2. my hands tend to perspire inside after a while. jts...
[quote="tanglin"]jnj0910,

Oh, what is sugar bubble dishwash detergent? where can i get it?
sounds like something i can use!
yes, i also agree that i can't feel the plates very well, in fact they tend to slip out of my grasp :(, but i thought i had no choice...
Thanks for sharing! It's great to meet someone who understands what i am going through...

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tanglin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 pm

u should be able to find it on the g-market website. they hv a few kinds of dishwash det but i'm happy with just the basic one.

unfortunately they don't carry it in ntuc or other supermarts, but i've been sticking to it ever since the first bottle cos i can feel the difference immediately if i revert back to mama lemon or other store-bought brands. the main benefit is there's no itch after using, so no scratching which leads to flare-ups that further aggravates the skin condition. even my hubby had commented on the improvement.

try not to rely too much on the creams prescribed by the docs cos they are usually steriod based and will make the skin thinner in the long run. Hope this will help u as much as it has helped me. :smile:

tanglin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 pm

tanglin wrote:u should be able to find it on the g-market website. they hv a few kinds of dishwash det but i'm happy with just the basic one.

unfortunately they don't carry it in ntuc or other supermarts, but i've been sticking to it ever since the first bottle cos i can feel the difference immediately if i revert back to mama lemon or other store-bought brands. the main benefit is there's no itch after using, so no scratching which leads to flare-ups that further aggravates the skin condition. even my hubby had commented on the improvement.

try not to rely too much on the creams prescribed by the docs cos they are usually steriod based and will make the skin thinner in the long run. Hope this will help u as much as it has helped me. :smile:

Will go look for it... Thanks so much for sharing! :smile:

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Domestic Help