How do you select a maid?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

How do you select a maid?

Postby Zhuge » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi

Can you guys share your experience in selecting a maid at the maid agency?
I think most of us want someone who is honest, hardworking and good; and we do not wish to go through all the hassle and trouble if we do not get a good one.

Thanks in advance!

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How do you select a maid?

Postby nms1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 am

Are you looking at "new" or "transfer"?

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby JusticeBao » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 am

Make sure they are clean and monitor for a week closely...

JusticeBao
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 am

If you're looking for a transfer maid, make sure you speak to the current or ex employer. If the maid is unwilling to let you speak to her current employer, she's probably trying to hide something.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby nkthen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 am

I shared this with many of my friends and they are very successful in getting really good and trustworthy maids.

I'll share it here:
============================================
This set of criteria wasn't created by me, but was given to me by a staff from Nation. Very useful and I think it's a good list to share, very suitable for families who need to put the house and their children under the total care of the DH and you have to trust the DH 100%.

I use this criteria list and we found our first DH, a very good DH and she's back with us for a 2nd time. We gave this list of criteria to many of our friends and they also found good ones first time.

OK, here is the list. The DH should be:

1) At least 30 years old.
Reason: Should have certain maturity and enough life-experiences. Try not to get DHs who are reaching 40 years old.

2) Married.
Reason: So that they will not look for a boyfriend.

3) Have at least 2 kids.
Reason: They have REAL experience of raising up kids.

4) The kids must be at least 10 years old. If one of the kid is about 14-15 years old, it's even better.
Reason: So that the DH wouldn't have to miss their kids and at least they have done their part as a mother for their initial 10 years.

5) Worked as a DH before.
Reason: They know what is expected of becoming a DH.

6) Worked as a DH but NOT in Singapore.
Reason: There is a lesser chance that they have friends in Singapore.

7) Husband is still alive.
Reason: They won't look for a new husband.

To me, the first 4 criteria are the most important. (5) to (7) can be optional. If you use this list, most of the time you will have higher chance of getting DHs that are honest and hardworking.

Criteria (4) is something that I focus on. You see, most of the time, these DH with children age 14-15 years old will want to work in Singapore because they want to pay for their children's college and/or University education.

They need the job in Singapore to pay/save for their children's education so they will have a higher chance of being honest.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MrsSeah » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 am

nkthen wrote:I shared this with many of my friends and they are very successful in getting really good and trustworthy maids.

I'll share it here:
This set of criteria wasn't created by me, but was given to me by a staff from Nation. Very useful and I think it's a good list to share, very suitable for families who need to put the house and their children under the total care of the DH and you have to trust the DH 100%.

I use this criteria list and we found our first DH, a very good DH and she's back with us for a 2nd time. We gave this list of criteria to many of our friends and they also found good ones first time.

Reason: Should have certain maturity and enough life-experiences. Try not to get DHs who are reaching 40 years old.

2) Married.

3) Have at least 2 kids.

4) The kids must be at least 10 years old. If one of the kid is about 14-15 years old, it's even better.
Reason: So that the DH wouldn't have to miss their kids and at least they have done their part as a mother for their initial 10 years.

To me, the first 4 criteria are the most important. (5) to (7) can be optional. If you use this list, most of the time you will have higher chance of getting DHs that are honest and hardworking.

Criteria (4) is something that I focus on. You see, most of the time, these DH with children age 14-15 years old will want to work in Singapore because they want to pay for their children's college and/or University education.

They need the job in Singapore to pay/save for their children's education so they will have a higher chance of being honest.

Thanks. Although I don't agreed no. 2 & 7 but all are worth to consider. :smile:

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nkthen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am

MrsSeah wrote:Thanks. Although I don't agreed no. 2 & 7 but all are worth to consider. :smile:

Of course, I know that even if they are married, they will still look for a boyfriend here. I'm just saying that these list will give you a higher chance of getting a good DH.

But, I do believe that if you base on criteria (4), it will be safe. I talked to many of the well-behaved DHs and they all have teenagers and they are here to work so that they can pay their children's education. They won't want to mess around because it would mean no money for their child's education.

Of course, because they need the money, we as employers must do our part to help our DH by paying on time and help her transfer money back.

I do that for my DH. I pay her on time and I even help her transfer money back fast. There was once that she really needs to send the money back really fast and so I fork out $10+ to ensure one-day delivery. She's very appreciative about that.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MrsSeah » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 am

nkthen wrote:
There was once that she really needs to send the money back really fast and so I fork out $10+ to ensure one-day delivery. She's very appreciative about that.

If really urgent use Western Union which is available at most Singpost. They are really fast. Think can receive money within 2 hrs.

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nkthen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:45 am

MrsSeah wrote:
nkthen wrote:
There was once that she really needs to send the money back really fast and so I fork out $10+ to ensure one-day delivery. She's very appreciative about that.

If really urgent use Western Union which is available at most Singpost. They are really fast. Think can receive money within 2 hrs.

Bingo, that's what I use.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Hiaweh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:51 pm

MrsSeah wrote:
nkthen wrote:I shared this with many of my friends and they are very successful in getting really good and trustworthy maids.

I'll share it here:

2) Married.

3) Have at least 2 kids.

Thanks. Although I don't agreed no. 2 & 7 but all are worth to consider. :smile:

I would like to share my experience based on the criteria above regarding a DH I got from Nation.

1) Recent one is in her late 20s but compared to my previous DH, the current one seemed less smart than the previous although only in her early 20s.

2) Both are married so no comments.

3) Both have 1 very young kid, less than 6 years old. My first DH not very good with kids, perhaps due to her not having to take care of her own kid. Current seems to like kids, can play with both my kids.

4) Both have very young kids. Previous one don't really have to send money back coz in-laws can support the kid. Current not very sure yet but she seemed quite careful with her money. Anyway both didn't ask to call back home even though we offered to let them use the house phone. So not sure how much they miss their kids.

5) My current one has experience as DH but to me she seemed like a new/inexperienced DH. We must instruct her to do every single thing even down to the details. Sometimes no common sense and very lack of initiative. My previous one although experience working in food service environment but she is so much smarter, well mannered and full of initiative. When it comes to housework, I don't have to question her on her work. House is always clean and spick and span. Only need to teach on cooking. Current one don't even thank us when we buy things/food for her. Cleaning, sometimes even have to tell her down to the detail how to do it. Cooking passable although she claim can cook when we interviewed her. Don't know don't want to ask.

6) Current one ex-SG but no hp allowed yet, although she did mention she has relatives in SG.

7) Contract states no off day and I am a SAHM so no issue currently.

The list can help you to make better informed choices but most of the time their biodata are all fake, even down to their age. And when you ask them they can also lie through their teeth. So on top of the list you still need a bit of luck.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help