Reference letter

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Reference letter

Postby YJL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,
My helper has requested a reference letter from us for transfer. Like to find out for those who wrote for their helper, what do u include inside the letter? To be fair to the new employer, do u make known to them maid's weaknesses? I feel quite obliged to write but on the other hand, her weakness was the reason why we decided not to renew. pls advise. TIA!

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Reference letter

Postby icemochi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am

my opinion is that her weakness to u may not be so apparant to her future employer. Lets not deprive her of the next job.

a sample reference letter may be

Who-and who has worked for my family from .. to .. During this period, she did the housework, do cooking, gardening, clean my car and looked after a baby. For further verifications of her character, please email me at ..

So that you can tell the next family better.

icemochi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nms1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 am

I think the best way to address her weaknesses is just not to mention that area, in much the same way as you would for any other reference letter.

For example, if her cooking was no good then mention how well she did the housework, looked after the kids then don't mention cooking.

As PP said, something that is an issue for you, may not be for someone else.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Sarah0501 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 pm

can i know r u transferring ur helper . is she avail ?

Sarah0501
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Domestic Help